Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:03:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessApprochable Let's Players: your experience
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Approchable Let's Players: your experience  (Read 1081 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »

Hello good folks at TIG  Smiley.

I was wondering if you guys had any experience with let's players; more specifically, approachable let's players. I doubt Pewdipie would test our little game so I'm looking for LPers with not necessarily that many subscribers but who are willing to give new games a try.

This is for my upcoming KS, I want to have a few of them lined up before we start the official launch.

Do you have any in particular who you would recommend? Lpers specialized in indie games would probably be better I guess.

Thank you!

fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »

If you have something you can publicly show right now, you could ask on https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsPlayMyGame/

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »

Thanks for the link! I don't have the demo just yet. So I can't use it now but I'll use it later.

My strategy is to contact LPers before to check their interest and send them the demo when it's released.

But I'm keeping that link!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »

My strategy is to contact LPers before to check their interest and send them the demo when it's released.

It's a minor point, but you can remove a bit of friction by including a demo download link in your first e-mail. That way someone can download and try your game for a few minutes to see if they're interested rather than having to reply to ask for it. If you were planning on sending it as an attachment, that might be different, but surely you could host it somewhere instead if that was the case?

Here's a GDC 2015 talk with some useful info on this topic: http://gdcvault.com/play/1021961/Everything-You-Need-To-Know

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »

Yes, that's a good idea. So basically what you're saying is that I should wait to have the demo ready instead of contacting them first to know if they'd be interested. Sounds good to me.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »

This might be interesting for you, too:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48968.0
Melon Mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 06:16:54 AM »

Yes, that's a good idea. So basically what you're saying is that I should wait to have the demo ready instead of contacting them first to know if they'd be interested. Sounds good to me.

Northernlion does Lets Plays of games of all varieties. He has upwards of half-a-million subscribers and prides himself on testing "the smallest indie games" to the biggest projects.

He seems super friendly, keen for variety and supporting small devs, and a reasonable reviewer. Unless I am getting my wires crossed, I believe he stated publicly that he doesn't tend to record Early Access / beta games because it's hard to give a fair representation of a WIP.

This is one person who I think has the right philosophy and is the kind of "approachable" lets-player you're after.

I believe he spoke about receiving requests, he claims to look at all of them and asked for people to be snappy with their emails; what the game is, who you are, a picture and a download link (something like that).

I think if you write a wordy letter, or talk about an unfinished game, you're not really giving a Lets Player any content to go on and they may as well forget you and go to the next email. Definitely keep it brief and only reach out when you've got something they can go on.
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:14:38 AM »

I've had some luck with Randomise User lately. It seems he takes the time to try some indie demos.

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »

Slap the demo build up on itch.io and gamejolt. LOTS of small LP'ers roam those sites for new games and you will start seeing videos pop up without you doing a thing. Most of them will be in the 50-1000 subscriber range though, but exposure is exposure. There are some big (500k+) LP'ers who do keep an eye on these sites so you may get lucky too.

I haven't sent Masochisia links to anyone, just posted links on those sites and I've had probably 75+ videos pop up with views ranging from 10 - 120,000.

If you're going to email them, dont waste their time by not sending a build. They get a lot of emails, they dont need ones that gauge their interest. If anything, that may turn them off. Like contacting press, its a numbers game. The more you contact, the more videos will appear.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic