Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:22:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGetting Greenlight Yes Votes?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Getting Greenlight Yes Votes?  (Read 1084 times)
therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2015, 11:21:03 PM »

Hi All!

I've recently placed one of our games on GreenLight and we are getting a few Yes votes, but it would be great to get more! Smiley

Does anyone have any tips on going about getting them?

Cheers,
Steve

MeerkatGaming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 12:13:20 PM »

Twitter and communicating the project across multiple gaming forums is our primary method of driving traffic to our Steam Concept page (not ready to move into Greenlight just yet). Take every opportunity to communicate your project. You should include a link to it in your post or add it into your sig so anyone running across this post can check it out.

The first couple of days are easy because you project is high on everyone's voting queue and easy to find on the front page of new content. However, after that initial surge tapers off, it's all up to you to drive new traffic towards the page. I'm still trying to figure out that second part myself.

It helps to build as much of a fan base as possible prior to launching the Greenlight campaign but that too is no easy thing to accomplish. We are attempting to use the Steam Concept page to assist with this part. How much of a benefit that is has yet to be determined. We've had some people tell us we should go ahead and start our Greenlight campaign but we only get one shot at that initial traffic surge and added free exposure so we want to take full advantage of it by having specific gameplay elements ready to showcase at that time.

Getting the word out is a much more time consuming process than I anticipated. Best of luck to you!

therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »

Thanks Meerkat Smiley

I didnt want to put our game on TIG yet as I dont want to be seen as spamming.

Its been a good week since our game was put on Greenlight and its got just over 260 Yes votes, which isnt too bad due to the type of game it is.

But as you say now is the hard part on how to drive traffic to the page....

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:55:06 PM »

I've been struggling with this myself!

Some suggestions:
*Reddit: you can post to the r/gamedev daily discussion once and probably be fine. Other subforums can be good, but check the rules.
*Are you on IndieDB?
*Look for applicable forums, but be respectful and think of them as future opportunities. I know the Rock Paper Shotgun forum has a specific section for self promotion.
*FB Groups. There is an indie promo and indie dev group that are cool.
*People seem pretty cool if you announce on the town hall, not sure how spammy you can get though.
*Don't forget to include pics and gifs with posts!

I think on a certain level you have to be spammy. Still getting comfortable with that myself, but I've heard your supposed to tweet a lot! I mean like 5+ times a day.

Best of luck!

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »

Thanks Del Smiley

I don't want to come across Spammy... but maybe thats the way of Greenlight?

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

I used this method to create a steam link as well as web link to the Greenlight page. Anything to make it easier to vote helps imo.

You game looks quite polished, but there's about 10 seconds of menus and loading screens in your trailer. Try and cut all that stuff out and only show the best of the best.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic