Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:02:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAnyone remember how weird Minecraft was when it came out?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone remember how weird Minecraft was when it came out?  (Read 1497 times)
zarxto
« on: July 18, 2015, 02:39:51 AM »

Like, most famous indie games usually start here for some reason, but like I said. ever notice how much more of a project Minecraft was back in 2010 then it was a game? Was it really anything we've never seen before or was it just something that exploded extremely out of proportion.

Now im not going to be those kids on the minecraft forums who complain about how they miss the old days. but maybe they are on to something that makes The 2010 Minecraft especially different from the NOW Minecraft. considering 10 million have bought the original PC game.

Anyways, Cheers.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6273.0

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:20:06 AM »

i never thought minecraft was weird (it started out as basically infiniminer minus the competitive fps conceit)

what IS weird tho is how insanely popular it got, esp seeing as it went completely against conventional game industry marketing wisdom. i don't think any AAA publisher would have touched minecraft with a 10 foot pole back then. these days AAA devs like bethesda are actually copying minecraft. i don't personally like it that much, but minecraft popularized something new at a time when videogames were stagnant and that is hella rad
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:38:55 AM »

i dont know how game where you explore big open world and can build and do anything got any popular.
at the time it had no chance against such big hit classics as Velvet assasin or Halo Wars.
Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »

Holy shit, Minecraft was here? And I see increpare is in that thread, too. I feel like I'm on reality TV.

Interesting that it was considered weird.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »

it's weird to see games here that get a few replies and you go "heh, interesting idea" and then suddenly you start seeing everywhere online even tho you haven't been keeping up with it for a while because you forgot

happened to me with both 'papers, please' and now 'her story'

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »

papers please got a lot of hype on tig before it became widely known tho
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »

Her Story was here?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:35:09 PM »

papers please got a lot of hype on tig before it became widely known tho
Yeah, but like I said, I personally forgot about the thread.

Her Story was here?
Yeah, I don't think it got that many replies.

zarxto
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 05:11:49 AM »

Pretty much.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 08:43:02 AM »

Not at all.

Though I think you have to keep in mind how "hostile" TIGS is to non-platformers. I put hostile in quotations, because it's not like TIGS hates games that aren't platformers - only that platformers get a lot more attention. Compared to a platformer, Minecraft is pretty weird, yes. Compared to the spectrum of games available - well, not that weird, but it was sufficiently different.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 11:08:19 PM »

the thing that stood out to me the most about minecraft, was how it was the first indie game I ever really felt immersed in.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 12:35:01 AM »

it's weird to see games here that get a few replies and you go "heh, interesting idea" and then suddenly you start seeing everywhere online even tho you haven't been keeping up with it for a while because you forgot

happened to me with both 'papers, please' and now 'her story'
That's like one of the main reasons I tend to hang out on TIG. You get to see the next big indie games here first.

Case in point, Devolver picking up Eitr, Adult Swim publishing Rain World, Ghost Song, and Death's Gambit, Relativity coming to PS4, etc.

Minecraft, Papers Please, Starseed Pilgrim, and Fez started as devlogs here, that's awesome

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »

TBH I still haven't seen Rain World get mentioned anywhere outside TIGS in all this time even tho they're evidently on these events and stuff as mentioned in the devlog. :s

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 06:12:43 AM »

same, but the hype will hopefully come once the game releases. indie games are often not that big on prerelease hype.

is there any game with a popular devlog on tig that was a commercial failure? (excluding games that got canceled ofc)
MrBones
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »

Not at all.

Though I think you have to keep in mind how "hostile" TIGS is to non-platformers. I put hostile in quotations, because it's not like TIGS hates games that aren't platformers - only that platformers get a lot more attention.

you know I never realized this until now
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »

you'd think that the green grass blue sky big head exploring a scary world platformer motif would run stale after a while

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »

our parents know what minecraft is

that still weirds me out

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic