Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:37:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasters of March
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Masters of March  (Read 774 times)
SenadMMG
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2015, 04:17:16 AM »

Hello everyone,
for a better part of this year I've been working on a game called Masters of March. I wanted to design a turn based strategy that is easily playable on mobile devices, so that means portrait mode, short sessions 5-10 minutes.

I came up with this concept of a moving battlefield, your armies are placed at the bottom (easy for finger reach) and the enemies are at the top. The battle system is fairly simple, zero sum, rock - paper - scissors style. To mix it up I added terrain that influences the battlefield and resources that you can collect and buy new armies.

Masters of March plays like a roguelike game. There are rewards for leveling up but death is permanent.

Right now I am ready to test the game, it's pretty tutorial heavy and this is my biggest concern.
I would love it if you can provide some feedback, it's playable on website:
http://masters-of-march.com/MoMdemo8/index.html

It's built with Construct 2, so it's HTML5 and it works on touch devices.
This is the beta version of the game, for testing and feedback.
Expected release on mobile devices and web is by the end of 2015.

If you like the game feel free to follow it on
facebook https://www.facebook.com/MastersOfMarch
or check out the website http://masters-of-march.com/
and twitter https://twitter.com/MartianMadeGame

Version 0.9288 notes:
- no sounds yet
- no music volume slider (only on/off button)

Planned features:
- defense building system
- story

Thanks for checking it out. Any feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: Updated game link, I'm hoping it will improve Safari performance.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:59:13 AM by SenadMMG » Logged
Tomislav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »

This game looked familiar... took me a bit to place it. Then I remembered I saw it being demoed at Zagreb GameDev Meetup Smiley

I started with trials, but it locked up on level 5 and I had to refresh it. Then I moved to the march mode for a bit. But it was too hard because I didn't fully understand gameplay elements I haven't seen before.

I would have liked an undo button. I'm not sure if it makes sense in march mode, but I think it would be a nice feature in trails. Sometimes I moved a unit and I thought it would move one way, but it did another. For example if you have two units stacked dragging the bottom one moves both of them, but in my mind I expected only bottom one to move (and that happened a couple of times)... Hmmm... Maybe not an undo feature, but a ghost shadow of what will happen when you let go of the screen?

I would have liked to see in how many turns I have to finish the level to get the higher rank.

All in all I was interesting and I liked it. I'll defenetly play the final version on a phone and go through the trials again.
nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:26:19 PM »

Good stuff!

Like:
  • fun and original game concept. I'm a big fan of tactical combat games, like Stratego and Advance Wars.
  • slick graphics. I especially like the smooth animations.
  • addictive!

Don't like:
  • the trials require a lot of reading. Maybe it is better to break them up a little more so that the balance between reading (bad) and actually doing something (good) is better?

Hand Thumbs Up Right

SenadMMG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:36:52 AM »

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

@Tomislav
Good to see a familiar face around :)
Undo button seems like a good idea. It's not complicated to implement and it can reduce player friction (and frustration). I'm still working on level ranks but the final version will have a ranking indicator while you play.
Can you tell me on what device and browser did you play on when the game locked?

@nkm
I'm also a big fan of tactical games and one of the reasons I wanted to do this game is that there's not a lot of good tactical games on mobile. My long time favorite is Hoplite, big recommendation if you haven't played it.
So my understanding is that you don't mind doing the Trials but that there's a lot of text to cover. If I expand the Trials by adding more levels with pure play (without text), would that be more interesting?

I'm still waiting to get a little more feedback but it seems that I need to redesign the the Trial gameplay mode. I'll probably introduce the March game mode earlier and I'll try to cut down on the text. I'm currently working on the trailer (video) to post and hopefully get some more players for testing.
Tomislav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:36:51 AM »

Can you tell me on what device and browser did you play on when the game locked?

Sure thing! It was Safari 8.0.6 on OS X 10.10.3. It got stuck and I had to refresh it.
nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 05:48:50 AM »

Bought Hoplite, thanks for the tip! Tongue

So my understanding is that you don't mind doing the Trials but that there's a lot of text to cover. If I expand the Trials by adding more levels with pure play (without text), would that be more interesting?
Yes, it is a bit text heavy for my taste. Although I would prefer that you replaced the text heavy trials with more interactive trials, instead of expanding the existing trial set.

I'll probably introduce the March game mode earlier and I'll try to cut down on the text.
If I were you I would wait for some more feedback samples before taking action.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic