Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:07:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How do I draw like this?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: How do I draw like this?  (Read 3080 times)
JK
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »

So I want to draw my own character portraits for the game I'm making. This is the style that I want to achieve for the dialogue screens.

How do I draw like this?

Tips, references, and suggestions are appreciated. Beg Even little ones. Please help me. I want to learn how to do this, even if I do decide to work with artist later on. Smiley
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »

show your art
Artylo
Level 0

I'm just a voice, pal - a most talented failure, b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

Probably study manga and anime techniques. I've personally never attempted drawing in that style, so I'm not really competent.
But, as the previous post said, you should show us some of your actual art.
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »

Draw an acorn, add huge eyes with 3-6 specular highlights, render with

(mildly NSFW, only example available) which I'm pretty sure is Pixiv's secret sauce. Publish dating sim, sell 40 copies.

JK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »

show your art

That's a screenshot of something I drew in Inkscape today.

Probably study manga and anime techniques. I've personally never attempted drawing in that style, so I'm not really competent.
But, as the previous post said, you should show us some of your actual art.

Gotcha. I haven't found many in-depth tutorials, but I'll keep looking. Coffee

Draw an acorn, add huge eyes with 3-6 specular highlights, render with

(mildly NSFW, only example available) which I'm pretty sure is Pixiv's secret sauce. Publish dating sim, sell 40 copies.

Thanks for tips. I had to lol after I clicked on that link. Didn't know what NSFW meant beforehand (thanks, google). Giggle Yeah...

About that dating sim part though. It's actually for a space shooter game. I'm just using this for the dialogue scenes.
Kevinfu510
Level 0

aparently the picure looks weird when resized...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

The internet is probably the best thing you have! luckily i have been pursuing this art-style myself, but not for gamedev purposes but as a hobby (who doesn't want to draw their perfect Waifu! Well, hello there!)

you could google some Youtube video tutorials, for example :
"Anime eye tutorial" or a "how to draw a..." personally, mastering both Male and Female body postures is challenging for me!

or you could develop your own style! idk, it's your own choice!

and also, i don't think you should use insckape, since it can't save your sprite work with opacity/transparent background... i recommend photoshop, GIMP, or PaintTool SAI! again, Internet is your best place to study and experiment!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 12:31:02 AM »

I do not use Inkscape or Manga Studio and i'm not an artist, but...

I believe Inkscape provides PNG-24 export with alpha. But it does not provide great tools for painting with line weight (only brushes?), afaik. It's important with a graphic tablet.

Many artist create sketches to get the proportions right, color it in a light blue (and/or reduce alpha) and draw over it in a new layer. Repeat until you like the result. Not Manga, but in my eyes this video shows, why line weight is important:

Manga Studio seems to provides tools to manipulate line weight:

You could use a vector program for linework, import and color it in another pixel program at a high resolution, too.
Kevinfu510
Level 0

aparently the picure looks weird when resized...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »

I believe Inkscape provides PNG-24 export with alpha.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/336153/how-to-create-a-png-with-transparent-background-in-inkscape
sorry, it turns out i was wrong about the Alpha part, but i agree with Zorg's post about using different softwares/methods...

JK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »

Thanks for the info. Wink I think I'm on the right track now (looking for small tutorials/comparing art styles).

Manga Studio is pretty expensive for my budget atm. Shrug I'll give Gimp another shot. My main draw with Inkscape is that it's easier to move stuff around and edit without having to use too many layers.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »

Use paint tool SAI. If you have a pressure sensitive tablet you will thank me later.

Also, practice color theory, gradients, highlights and shading/shadows. They all seem to be pretty important to emulate the style you mentioned.

digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »

Go out to a used bookshop and look for old issue of Manga magazines. These are excellent sources of material because they offer a wide variety of artists. You can then start copying them on paper.

http://zxr.es/Dummies-Ebooks-collection/Manga%20For%20Dummies.pdf

I would advise you not to draw Manga though. I used to have a distinct art style and wasn't bad with drawing normal portraits but at one point I got obsessed with Manga and tried to draw like them. Now every time I try to draw I habitually end up with characters heavily influenced by anime but not looking as good. Leave Manga to the Japanese. I don't know of any Westerner who successfully started a Manga. The closest I know is Teen Titans but that wasn't full on Manga.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 11:47:50 AM »

I would advise you not to draw Manga though. I used to have a distinct art style and wasn't bad with drawing normal portraits but at one point I got obsessed with Manga and tried to draw like them. Now every time I try to draw I habitually end up with characters heavily influenced by anime but not looking as good. Leave Manga to the Japanese. I don't know of any Westerner who successfully started a Manga. The closest I know is Teen Titans but that wasn't full on Manga.

Mark Crilley is a westerner and he's pretty good at drawing manga styled comics. Actually, he's good at a lot of art styles now that I think about it.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »

Mark Crilley anime style is .... off

I have yet to be fooled to see a westerner draw anime and imma be like oh who is this mangaka ?

[Edit] i was about to say oh right there is Daniel Kim (clone manga) but he is asian .
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »

That's a screenshot of something I drew in Inkscape today.

I'm an Inkscape user myself. What you should do is trace the lines of the anime characters you want to draw in Inkscape and then modify them accordingly so as to not get copyrighted.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 08:01:38 PM »

Please do not suggest something so offensively bad as to trace a character and then modify it. that's just bad all-around.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »

draw manga, manga is super cool. it's ok for it to not end up exactly like japanese manga, but as long as it looks good, that's ok. Seriously.

edit: my personal experience being me tells me that drawing manga works out great and people saying you shouldn't have no evidence as to why
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »

Please do not suggest something so offensively bad as to trace a character and then modify it. that's just bad all-around.
NO, IT'S NOT.

That's how I learned to draw as a child. Much better way of learning than these stupid how to draw books that start:
-step one: draw circle
-step two :draw cross on circle
-step three: Face.
-step four: shade.

without going into detail on how he ended up with a nicely drawn face.
eliasfrost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »

NO, IT'S NOT.

That's how I learned to draw as a child. Much better way of learning than these stupid how to draw books that start:

What you said though was to trace a character and modify it to avoid copyright, you have to admit that is some pretty dodgy advice? I think that was what Diabetes reacted to the strongest.

I mean tracing is fine when you learn but it's not something you'd typically (or ever, really) do to produce professional visuals and even if you did do it professionaly, it's in very bad taste and extremely disrespectful to the original author.

My advice is to look up tutorials, do a bit of traditional painting, learn about colors, shading, linework, all that jazz. The more you learn the more tools you have to get the job done.

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ have some very good summaries on various subjects to get you started, not really manga though but drawing is drawing, right?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:10:40 PM by eliasfrost » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »

If you're looking for serious critique maybe you should visit the workshop as well?
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=45.0

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »

NO, IT'S NOT.

that's the reason you draw like shit now...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic