Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:46:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAngel Orb
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Angel Orb  (Read 1383 times)
Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »

A fast paced arcade game made in 72 hours for the Indies Vs. Gamers 2015 game jam. Fly nimbly and move quickly as you dodge enemy fire. Use your orb to kill enemies and watch them burst into flames! With beautiful pixel art, awesome music, and a unique gameplay mechanic, you're guaranteed to have a fun time. Have fun playing Angel Orb! :D

Download Link: http://gamejolt.com/games/angel-orb/80944#

If you have feedback, suggestions, criticisms, or just some ideas on the game, then feel free to drop 'em down below! :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:28:43 AM by Pixelade » Logged
StateOff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »

Hey Pixelade,
You are linking to a post-jam version without notice. People should vote on the Jam version, no?
Not that it would matter so much to me but at least link both versions for fairness sake.

Nice game btw! The jam version is super hard but still addictive.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »

I do like the high difficulty of the game, But it did take me a minute to figure out how to play and what was going on. For instance, I didn't even realize the orb was hitting demons, maybe because the demons are small and blend in a little with the background, I dunno.
Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:00:04 AM »

Hey Pixelade,
You are linking to a post-jam version without notice. People should vote on the Jam version, no?
Not that it would matter so much to me but at least link both versions for fairness sake.

Nice game btw! The jam version is super hard but still addictive.
Oh that's alright. The only difference between the two versions is that the one on GameJolt REQUIRES login, while the MediaFire one doesn't.

I do like the high difficulty of the game, But it did take me a minute to figure out how to play and what was going on. For instance, I didn't even realize the orb was hitting demons, maybe because the demons are small and blend in a little with the background, I dunno.
What would you suggest then? Change the background or change the demons?

Also, do you guys think that I should tone the difficulty down a bit? I do plan on tweaking the game a little after the voting period.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:14 AM »

I would probably change the demons. Also toning down the difficulty may make it more accessible, so I'd go for it.
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »

I'd say that the amount of spacebar pressing is a little excessive, haha. Maybe a little more velocity on the jump and less gravity?

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »

NEW VERSION 1.3.0 includes:
 - More intuitive GameJolt login (if you choose to login)
 - Gravity decreased and jump velocity increased
 - Easier difficulty
 - AAAAND A massive graphical REVAMP

Download Link: http://gamejolt.com/games/angel-orb/80944#
Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »

NEW VERSION 2.0.0

The image above shows the new game mode in Angel Orb version 2.0.0: The Versus Mode. Versus Mode is a 2-player hot seat match where you and your opponent try to hit each other with your orbs. Grab a friend now and start the duel!

Download Link: http://gamejolt.com/games/angel-orb/80944
CarbonHack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »

Hi Pixelade,

Very nice little game! Simple, effective and addictive. Also gets challenging pretty quickly!
Gameplay mechanics is flawless, very cool idea. Funky happy-go-lucky tune suits the gameplay really well and pimps up the dynamics. If anything, I would tone down graphics a little bit. As for now, I found visuals to be little too distractive, too many details, making it hard to focus on gameplay - which is definetely engaging enough itself!

ok, I need to stop playing now, for my spacebar's sake Smiley

Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »

Hi Pixelade,

Very nice little game! Simple, effective and addictive. Also gets challenging pretty quickly!
Gameplay mechanics is flawless, very cool idea. Funky happy-go-lucky tune suits the gameplay really well and pimps up the dynamics. If anything, I would tone down graphics a little bit. As for now, I found visuals to be little too distractive, too many details, making it hard to focus on gameplay - which is definetely engaging enough itself!

ok, I need to stop playing now, for my spacebar's sake Smiley

I'm glad you liked it :D Which graphics and particle effects distract you exactly? I'd love to take the time to tweak it a bit to make it less distracting.
ertopena
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »

This game is super rad. The controls just feel strong and exciting and in the moment, love the particle effects, love the music. I also appreciated how quickly it ramps up. I wish I could try the multiplayer mode to offer some feedback there.

The one thing I can offer would be, I totally disagree with toning down the visuals. The visuals are excellent and they increase the intensity of the experience without distracting you from the controls.

Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »

This game is super rad. The controls just feel strong and exciting and in the moment, love the particle effects, love the music. I also appreciated how quickly it ramps up. I wish I could try the multiplayer mode to offer some feedback there.

The one thing I can offer would be, I totally disagree with toning down the visuals. The visuals are excellent and they increase the intensity of the experience without distracting you from the controls.

I'm glad you liked the game. For the visuals issue, I see one solution: an option to turn off the visuals, tone it down, or leave it on normal.
CarbonHack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »

I'm glad you liked the game. For the visuals issue, I see one solution: an option to turn off the visuals, tone it down, or leave it on normal.

Nah, when I think about it, I guess it's very much a basic esthetic choice so there's no solution that will satisfy everyone. I can totally understand that for some visuals are working great, increasing intensity of experience. Smiley

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »

Well, wonderful unique mechanics, GREAT, fun to play, challenging.
Game-play is smooth, a pleasure to control.
Pixel art is great, cool animations.
Music is cool.
Finally I find the setting / overall feeling (as delivered by the palette, the music, to be fascinating

What I with I had is some goal to pursue, but I know that means adding content.
Stages, bosses, maybe a story mode, basically scores to reach to unlock new backgrounds, new wing colors, new enemies, whatever. But that's easier said than done. The current (single player) "infinite mode" is a good sport anyway... but add some motivation and you would have something totally captivating.

One small problem with the current gameplay, nothing unbearable, is that it only gets interesting after at least 10 kills, and it takes some 20 seconds to get there, so the penalty for death is a bit severe (you are left with maxed adrenaline and almost half a minute to wait... painful). But I don't have a solution, short of adding stages etc (see above) -- e.g. after 40 kills you unlock possibility to start from stage II where the difficulty starts already pumped up. Nothing too bad anyway.

Ok, minor suggestions:
- it would look even better if you broke the symmetry of the background plus procedurally randomized the lava waterfall just a tad.
- I wonder how it would feel if the sound effects (wing flaps, orb collect) were changed from the current "'80s game room style" to something more realistic / gloomy.
    ------
- Edit: oh, and another thing: sometimes I wish the orb (hug it asap!) was more immediately distinguishable from the fire bolts (avoid them!). Yes, one is white the other is yellow/red, but, maybe its my slight colorblindness talking, the difference is not always as immediately evident as I'd want it to be: after all, they both appear as mainly white objects of comparable size, at first glance. I always enjoy it, when a game color-codes harmful stuff with total clarity. Maybe, make the orb a tad more bluish?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:43:29 AM by mtarini » Logged

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
Ixlegraw
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »

What I with I had is some goal to pursue, but I know that means adding content.
Stages, bosses, maybe a story mode, basically scores to reach to unlock new backgrounds, new wing colors, new enemies, whatever. But that's easier said than done. The current (single player) "infinite mode" is a good sport anyway... but add some motivation and you would have something totally captivating.
Adding new content sounds really tempting and I've been there on my previous games, but since this game is just a jam game, I think I'm done with it and I want to move on to a new and bigger project.

One small problem with the current gameplay, nothing unbearable, is that it only gets interesting after at least 10 kills, and it takes some 20 seconds to get there, so the penalty for death is a bit severe (you are left with maxed adrenaline and almost half a minute to wait... painful). But I don't have a solution, short of adding stages etc (see above) -- e.g. after 40 kills you unlock possibility to start from stage II where the difficulty starts already pumped up. Nothing too bad anyway.
Alright, there's a new version 2.1.1 here http://gamejolt.com/games/angel-orb/80944
Now, whenever you play, the difficulty will be set higher depending on how far you got on your last game. So if you die at say 100, your next game will set the difficulty on 50. If you die on 50, your next game will set the difficulty on 25, and so on.

So that's all I can do for now. I'm currently getting into mobile game development and I won't be spending as much time on this game anymore. Still, thanks for the comments, feedback, and suggestions everyone! I'm sure to keep these in mind for my next game :D
mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

Thank
I think I'm done with it and I want to move on to a new and bigger project.

Ok, I see (wow, coming up with perfectly working concepts must come really easy for you, to leave one like this behind!)

Now, [...] if you die at say 100, your next game will set the difficulty on 50.

Thanks! That's really simple, yet it kinda solves the issue; only, it also kills the joy of racing for score (with oneself or others). It would have been nice if the score reflected the actual level, so after scoring 50 kills and dyeing, you simply restart at 25 kills.

(that... is not a terrible concept, BTW. Something in-between "restart from 0 every time" and "checkpoints/saves". I guess this one could work beautifully with many current "restart-from-0" games.)

Anyway, terrific job here, thank you, and good luck with your current project!

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic