Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:33:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioAmber Throne (TiG special thanks)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Amber Throne (TiG special thanks)  (Read 1423 times)
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:48:24 AM »

Hello TiG'ers! I released a new game soundtrack, the Amber Throne, this past Saturday. I listed this music forum in the credits. I greatly appreciate the feedback you guys give, to others and me in return, on this website!

It's a really long soundtrack (over 4 hours), but for those of you who take a peek, any and all criticisms are welcome!

Thanks again, guys! You are all the best.

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 04:51:31 AM »

64 Tracks :O

That's a monster OST, well done. Going to give it a listen now.

How much is live recorded? If you don't mind me asking
FelixArifin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »

Amazing stuff!! Congratulations on the monumental achievement. :D

-Felix

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »

That's a monster OST, well done. Going to give it a listen now.

How much is live recorded? If you don't mind me asking

Thanks Pete/Felix! I appreciate it.

Also, Pete, I don't mind at all! Only things recorded were the carnactic violin in the first... 4 or 5 tracks, guitar, tinwhistle, and various household appliances for soundscapes and shaping.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »

My thoughts exactly.  Awesome work! I feel so unambitious now; I've spent the last 6 months on a game, and I've got like, maybe 10 tracks good enough to be released on the soundtrack. Congrats Jasmine.

Also, might not be a bad idea to put a link to the game in your bandcamp album description, just put in the url and bandcamp knows how to turn it into a link.  Smiley

Game looks super-awesome, JRPGs and I go way back.  Were you involved with the sound design at all?

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  Awesome work! I feel so unambitious now; I've spent the last 6 months on a game, and I've got like, maybe 10 tracks good enough to be released on the soundtrack. Congrats Jasmine.

Also, might not be a bad idea to put a link to the game in your bandcamp album description, just put in the url and bandcamp knows how to turn it into a link.  Smiley

Game looks super-awesome, JRPGs and I go way back.  Were you involved with the sound design at all?

Thanks, Kyle! Well, whether I felt it was ready or not, it was about time for me to let them go. Constantly learning ways to improve, and trying to improve old pieces, really drains you out. I had to push stop or I'd never release anything. So, I hope this album sounds like it was ready!

Also, advice on game-link duly noted! I thought I added it - guess not.

As far as sound design, no, unfortunately. To be honest, it would have been mental suicide to attempt to do that in addition to write the soundtrack and work a full-time job (among other things). I DO want to try my hand at sound design, though. Better put, I will, just a matter of when, ha. Start with something small, perhaps a personal project or something.

Also, prune looks, and sounds, absolutely gorgeous. Did you do the sound design for that?

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:51:29 AM »

OoooOOooo buying this now!! Can't wait to listen to it!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:36:23 AM »

Congrats Jasmine, I'm still blown away by the 4 hours thing. But, more importantly, I'm downloading the files atm and will give the whole thing a listen tonight. I greatly enjoyed the bits and pieces on your soundcloud so I am sure this will be gewd. :D

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »

I'm just listening to the first track and I have to say it sounds fantastic!

Thanks for sharing! :D

Edit: In the credits maybe you could include who did the guitar and tin whistle. Probably you did and you are too humble :p but it may help the people to know that these are actually live played as well (like you included violin why not your performances? :D)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:07:26 AM by Daniel Pellicer » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 05:29:17 AM »

@Mere: Hey Mere, thanks a ton. I hope you enjoy it!

@Breakdown: Hey Breakdown! I appreciate your comments, man. Also, Battle Brothers is doing AWESOME right now. Is the soundtrack only going to be sold as a bundle, or will you be able to sell that on bandcamp (or any other hosting site of your choosing)?

@Daniel: Thank you, Daniel! I appreciate you taking time out to listen. I could lie and say it was humility, but the truth is, I didn't really think about it. I'll do that, though. Thank you!

dawid w. mika
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:56:08 AM »

It's both huge and beautiful, congrats!

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:59:47 AM »

@ M4uesviecr I got to play Amber Throne too, I think it would be way up my alley. Loved the JRPG stuff on my SEGA like Shining Force. Btw it's so cool that you actually played the tin whistle, it sounds great. I should definitely get one and start practising^^

We'll be offering the Battle Brothers soundtrack on Bandcamp when it is finished, probably at the end of early access. The developers just went full time on the project and are producing new content like crazy. So we there is still some music to be written before the final soundtrack can be released :D But back to the Amber Throne OST: It sounds awesome. Loving your guitar playing, too (guitar is my main instrument) and I like how you fit the classical concert guitar into the mix. I tend to find mixing easier with a steel-string guitar but the concerto does sound great when treated like you did.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »

it would have been mental suicide to attempt to do that in addition to write the soundtrack and work a full-time job (among other things).

Yeah, I'm getting a panic attack just thinking about all of that; it's a lot of work balancing everything, but you did an excellent job.  Gonna keep streaming it on Bandcamp for now but will download soon; I have ZERO hard drive space for anything right now  Facepalm

Also, prune looks, and sounds, absolutely gorgeous. Did you do the sound design for that?

Thank you kindly : ) I did and boy was that a learning experience. Was thinking of starting a field recording thread to share what I learned and tips for what NOT to do.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »

Congratulations; monumental indeed!

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 06:13:14 AM »

64 TRACKS OH MY GOD

JASMINE THIS IS INCREDIBLE

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Was showing the soundtrack to the friend with whom I work on Breakdown Epiphanies and we had this flashback to an old Rob D track when listening to "Destroy the Amber Throne":

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »

I love:
Homes Among Fish - Engaged - string effects
Withered Scales - cool as fuck vibe b/t acoustic guitars & percussion
Separation - these harmonies and your harmonic sensibilities in general, wow

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:54 PM »

@Dawid - Thanks, man!

@B.E. - Oh, dude. I didn't come across Shining Force til like, a couple years ago (blasphemous, I know). In addition to the whole tactics bit (which I'm a large lover of) cannot get over how amazing the soundtrack is. Like, whenever I work on tracker tunes, I always hold that soundtrack up as a personal marker. So, f'ing, good.

Also, thank you for the tin-whistle compliment! Trying to get around to playing it (and other instruments in general), more. You should definitely get one, though! Just be prepared to annoy the living poo out of anyone you live with.

I saw the post they made about the B.B team going into full-time development. How amazing it must feel for them, to know that a dream they crafted is desired to the point that they can work on it full-time (along with making it possible). Super excited for what you have in store for that soundtrack.

Your guitar comments mean a lot, man, coming from another guitarist! That's probably the one thing I was freaking out the most about with this soundtrack in general -- I consider myself a mediocre guitarist, so I was being anal about making sure things didn't sound too novice. Super happy that the mix transferred over fairly well.

I checked out the Rob D link. Not going to lie, I thought it meant Rob Dyrdek at first, and I though, He made music? That's actually notable? Ha, that aside, dude, the similarities are so weird! The tonal center, along with the first 3 notes, are exactly the same.  Also, I didn't realize that I had created a piece of music that sounded like something from the Matrix soundtrack. SO MUCH WIN.

@Kyle: Dude, don't panic (easier said than done). If anything, telling myself that, although it's not my best, it is still the best of my best currently, kinda helped with the anxiety. In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to stream this mammoth.

Oh, you should definitely create a topic covering your sound design experiences! One thing I would like more of, is feedback and advice from those just making their way in that particular feel. It gives the up and coming a sense of hope!

@Barendhoff: Much appreciated, Baren!

@Audio: Haha, thanks John! I seriously appreciate the feedback you have given me with certain tracks. You were a tremendous help!

Dude, Home and Sep are some of my favorites. Separation was a borrowed track from another game I did with the developer, Leviathan. Had a lot of fun on that one.

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 03:38:07 AM »

"Homes Among Fish" reminds me of "Weird Fishes" by Radiohead in that the piano arpeggios at the end resemble the shimmering reflections of fish scales under water, just like the delay-cascades in the Radiohead song do. The piano arpeggios are beautiful by the way :D

Another random thought: I have been listening to the Amber Throne soundtrack this morning while working on my day job and I find it works pretty well as a background for creative work (in my case, writing). That might be expected with music for a game that is mostly atmospheric and calm but it is still noteworthy. I feel that Ben Prunty (FTL) has discovered and occupied this niche pretty well with his music. He gets a lot of comments from people complementing him on how chill his style is and how well it lends itself to working/thinking/reading/arts. At the moment he makes a horror music album and on twitter he wrote that he hopes people will listen to the music while reading horror fiction or for table top role-playing. Especially the role-playing aspect has been a "secondary market" that I thought about with the Battle Brothers soundtrack in mind, too. I think that these game soundtracks work way better for a table top setting than movie OSTs because the pacing is much different etc. Something to possibly think about when marketing your music.

Didn't know who Rob Dydrek was until now, a part of US culture dad did not make its way to my life in Germany yet^^ Regarding Battle Brothers, yes the guys are quite hyped and the development as well as the whole steam shenanigans has gone pretty well for them up until now. I'm very happy for them as they worked on this stuff on top of their day jobs for more than 2 years. It's cool that we all live in Hamburg and can have a drink once in a while, that makes the work on the project so much more fun.
We'll release some new tracks pretty soon now (notably for the bandit faction, lots of guitar in there too), some of them are already in the game since the last update but I'll write a small devblog and upload the songs to soundcloud.

And to finish this wall of text of, I have this theme from Shining Force 2 stuck in my head on a regular basis btw:

The whole soundtrack is pure gold though. <3

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »

I had a chance to listen to most of it at work today, it's really nice. You've done a great job on humanizing the instruments that aren't recorded.

I think my favourite has to be Nutrients, it's got such a rich sound and it comes in huge waves that hit right you right in the chest.

Well done again :D.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic