Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:07:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMegamagic: Wizards of the Neon Age [TODAY: KICKSTARTER + GREENLIGHT]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Megamagic: Wizards of the Neon Age [TODAY: KICKSTARTER + GREENLIGHT]  (Read 5493 times)
The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 03:00:54 AM »

Map building tools (by @sueythelaw)

From the very beginning of Megamagic we aimed to build the maps using tiles, since we use Unity3D (and it doesn’t provide native support with tiles) we had to figure how to do that. We started using a plugin from the Unity3d Asset Store called: Uni Tile Engine (

) from Mudloop, it was a pure 2D tile engine, it was not enough to us…, so we where aiming to build an isometric game with full map exploration.

So... we started adding several features to the engine:

• Tools to make easier the job of building levels to our level designers.
  • Multilayer support to simulate the 3D world.
  • New tools to paint the tiles in faster ways.
  • Improvements to cut/erase/copy of painted tiles.
  • A lot of debug options to assure everything is painted correctly.
  • Automatisation tools to: build the physics of the level, paint large zones of terrain with some kind of a bucket painting tool.
  • The feature of undo/redo to the level (making mistakes is easy!).
  • Several optimizations for the CPU side using the plugin.
  • Several optimizations to the draw calls generated by the meshes of the level.

Thanks for reading!,

Visit our devlog!

Griffith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 05:10:21 AM »

Looks really good mate, sorry I missed this in one of your posts but how many of you are working on this and for how long have you been developing it? It's coming along really nicely.

Lilou84x
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 04:15:24 AM »

From the very beginning of Megamagic we aimed to build the maps using tiles, since we use Unity3D (and it doesn’t provide native support with tiles) we had to figure how to do that. We started using a plugin from the Unity3d Asset Store called: Uni Tile Engine (

) from Mudloop, it was a pure 2D tile engine, it was not enough to us…, so we where aiming to build an isometric game with full map exploration.

• Automatisation tools to: build the physics of the level, paint large zones of terrain with some kind of a bucket painting tool.

Thanks for reading!,

Wow! It seems to me very useful for designers and artists who doens't know the tricks unity has. The engine is not well equiped for 2D desing yet.

keep it up!
The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »

Looks really good mate, sorry I missed this in one of your posts but how many of you are working on this and for how long have you been developing it? It's coming along really nicely.

The team has changed quite a bit in the last year, but now we have a pretty solid team of 8 people + collaborators. The project really started some years ago. To be honest, at the beginning it was kinda harsh and the project didn't progressed that much.

Some changes were made and finally we can say that we started to go full speed around March/April 2015. It was then when we were finally capable of establishing clear goals and deadlines.  Before that we were advancing, but like surrounded by fog.

That's an unvaluable lesson: one of most important parts to develop a game is to firstly develop the right system behind the gamedev!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:26:54 AM by The MegaMagic Dude » Logged

Visit our devlog!

The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 08:07:37 AM »

Thanks for reading!,

Wow! It seems to me very useful for designers and artists who doens't know the tricks unity has. The engine is not well equiped for 2D desing yet.

keep it up!

Hi! Sorry for the delay answering! We have had some pretty hectic weeks lately. Production stuff! Let's see: yup, we wanted to help you sharing our little tricks. It's amazing how much you can do with Unity if you know how to use it!

We're glad you find it useful!  Beer!

Visit our devlog!

The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »

Creating a map: Camp Miller (part I)

Once the game designer has designed the level mechanics and an initial croquis, the level designer must decide the map structure, always thinking of its needs. Before building the actual map, the level designer makes a paper sketch to establish each zone.  
For instance, here we can see that Camp Miller has different zones: the Grim tournament grounds, the scrap dealer shop, the market, the punk houses and the interior fortress. Here, the main idea is not to explain the size of the map but its distribution:

And here we can see the first steps of the map’s assembling:

Further on, we will see this map finished and a lot more detailed!

Visit our devlog!

The_Otherworld_Agency
Level 0

Making awesome audio for awesome games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »

Oh my god, my childhood!  Hand Money Right  Hand Money Right  Hand Money Right TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

Seriously looking shmicko, MegaMagic Dude! I would love to be involved in a project like this (I run an audio agency and do music supervision) - an entire 80s/90s cartoon intro-style soundtrack! The idea gets me way too excited haha.

~The Otherworld Agency~
www.theotherworldagency.com
A global team of 30+ composers and sound designers
Creds: Eitr, Crossy Road, Tiny Wizard, PAC-MAN 256, Hacknet
The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 05:46:38 AM »

Oh my god, my childhood!  Hand Money Right  Hand Money Right  Hand Money Right TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

Seriously looking shmicko, MegaMagic Dude! I would love to be involved in a project like this (I run an audio agency and do music supervision) - an entire 80s/90s cartoon intro-style soundtrack! The idea gets me way too excited haha.

Hey! We're glad you like the project so much! Now we're working with Mitch Murder (https://soundcloud.com/daataa). But we will keep your contact in case we need more help later! (:

Visit our devlog!

TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »

This is a very detailed devlog and I'm sure contains a lot of useful information for other developers of like-minded games in Unity (I'm not on a programming level yet to be able to achieve this). I love the art and wish you all the best on garnering attention and fighting Unity Tongue
The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »

This is a very detailed devlog and I'm sure contains a lot of useful information for other developers of like-minded games in Unity (I'm not on a programming level yet to be able to achieve this). I love the art and wish you all the best on garnering attention and fighting Unity Tongue

We hope it contains useful info for other devs! (:
We have taken a lot of care preparing each devlog post! And there's a lot of work behind the art too (:

Visit our devlog!

The_Otherworld_Agency
Level 0

Making awesome audio for awesome games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 09:08:56 PM »

Hey! We're glad you like the project so much! Now we're working with Mitch Murder (https://soundcloud.com/daataa). But we will keep your contact in case we need more help later! (:

NICE! The dude's great haha! :D If you need sound design, get in touch Smiley We did the sfx for Pac-Man 256 and are doing the sfx for a couple dozen other games, including Eitr and Tiny Wizard, etc.

~The Otherworld Agency~
www.theotherworldagency.com
A global team of 30+ composers and sound designers
Creds: Eitr, Crossy Road, Tiny Wizard, PAC-MAN 256, Hacknet
The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 07:09:04 AM »

Sure thing! We will keep your contact Wink

Visit our devlog!

The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 07:10:12 AM »

We’ve launched our Kickstarter!

http://www.bit.ly/megamagic

We need your help! First 24h are crucial and we need to get to 100 backers! Can you help us? Your pledge will be a blessing! (:

At least we hope you like the project! All feedback will be amazing Wink

Visit our devlog!

The MegaMagic Dude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 04:15:19 AM »

We're now not only in KS but also on Greenlight! Help us get greenlit! (:

Visit our devlog!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic