Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:14:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Libgdx Scene2d alternatives
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Libgdx Scene2d alternatives  (Read 1454 times)
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:21:28 AM »

My partner and I are developing a game with Libgdx, but we've struggled quite a lot with Scene2d. In theory it sounds OK, but the way Scene2d works in terms of position UI elements and laying out elements in a responsive way has been a nightmare for us.

Is anyone aware of any decent companion libraries or anything that simplify UI creation for Libgdx?

Just to pre-empt, as well, we have recently seen Overlap2d (http://overlap2d.com/) which seems very promising, but is probably a bit too early in development at the moment to be of much use to us currently.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »

scene2d has a few gotchas, but it's actually very capable, once you get to know it. it suffers from a bit of lack of documentation, but is very solid as a simple game ui framework.
what exactly have you been struggling with?
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »

Yeah, I mean it's not terrible... The main thing for us is that the more and more complicated our UI gets, the more difficult it is to maintain. While that whole concept of "parents set the sizes of their children" seems well in theory, in reality some widgets work one way sometimes, another way at other times. Particularly, the more we attempt to make our UI "responsive" in the same meaning that web developers use, the more difficult it seems to be.

It's just the overall inconsistency of sizing that really bothers me the most.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:32:51 PM by moomat » Logged

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:28 AM »

hmm, as long as you yourself don't try to size things everywhere, but do it at one level only consistently, you should be just fine. UI programming is a pita in general, for a code-only solution, scene2d is really pretty gud, imo Shrug
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic