Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:22:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)New artist looking for some critique and direction (pixel art)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: New artist looking for some critique and direction (pixel art)  (Read 33374 times)
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 11:39:34 AM »

I think it looks pretty good, however you may want to work on rounding out that lighter neck area a bit more, rather than having a long diagonal line.

Also, maybe try making his front legs a little larger at the top, which hopefully would just make it looks a little more like a deer.  Good Luck!
Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »

Yeah I see the neck line issue now that you point it out. I think the legs are fine though, deer legs are pretty skinny, the strength comes from the shoulder.

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »

Wow, I hadn't realized how long I've been away from this stuff. Finally got some time to pick things back up.

So I went ahead and animated the deer:

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »

I'm on a roll! A doe and a fawn. With buck for comparison.

I am not happy with the doe. Its a resize of the buck but something is off with the proportions. I wanted it smaller than the buck (real doe are about 20% smaller). I am thinking it needs its length reduced a pixel or maybe the legs are too long. Thoughts?
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

Yeah I see what you are saying. I'll put together a mockup with a shortened torso and longer arms for the hang frame for comparison

In the mean time I have been nitpicking to death the heads

When working on the rest of the run directions the right/left was bothering me and I figured out it was the head. I can only turn the body so much without losing all detail but the head  can be completely rotated amd I left it the same as the down right/left and this didn't differentiate things enough. So with that said I tried to rotate the head fully but I am stuck. I can't settle on anything for the right and left.

So above is what I have plus some options I have played with. Everything I do makes it look like a robot. Anyway, does anyone have a preference?

Have you tried something like this for the side view?

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »

I have. The issue with that is that I am only using two colors for the naked body and the arms just disappear into the body. I could up the colors of course. I will circle back around to the player character eventually, I burnt out on it and moved on to the animals for now.

Thanks for the input!
TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 02:02:11 AM »

I'm on a roll! A doe and a fawn. With buck for comparison.

I am not happy with the doe. Its a resize of the buck but something is off with the proportions. I wanted it smaller than the buck (real doe are about 20% smaller). I am thinking it needs its length reduced a pixel or maybe the legs are too long. Thoughts?
Very nice! Small buck so cute omigosh <3
Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »

Some more work on the deer. This is a combination of all the animations I have done for it including a walk cycle, default pose, a series of idles, and an alert pose.

I put more posture in the default and alert to capture that majestic arrogance bucks sometimes have.

And I started working on something new:

Thoughts? Good enough to start animating?
Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 12:10:56 AM »

Worked through a run cycle for the deer. It was easier than I though since deer don't alternate gaits when running so only 10 frames (vice 12 for walking).

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »

And just trucking along...

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 05:54:25 AM »

Awesome stuff man!  Hand Thumbs Up Right
gulden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »

Looks really cool! Reminds me of that Swords & Sworcery game I had on ipad, though this was proably neither the first game with that art direction.
Your animations are also quite well done!

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 10:55:07 PM »

Thanks gents. Swords and Sworcery was one of my original inspirations but that art style requires a lot of dedication. With so few pixels you need to be able sacrifice detail (which I don't want) or be so good you can convey everything in those few pixels (which I am not!).

I am working on the other walking directions of the deer, it is tedious and time consuming. To keep myself moving I switched to something else tonight.

Its supposed to be an osprey, and sized to be able to stand on my player characters shoulder or arm. I would like to do a series of birds off this base. My question to you all is how does this read? Does it look like a bird of prey to you or just a glorified chicken/seagull?
Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:44 AM »

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »

The green color on the bird is not very readable. Especially with that background color. The grey on top of the bald eagle front view just seems wrong. The grey in general seems too much on the bald eagle. Also the 3/4 front view of said eagle is not readable. Looks like a monk with an orange and white wrestling mask to me.
Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »

Do you mind if I get some clarification?

1.) I am color blind, especially in the red green range, so as far as I know there is no green in the sprites. Can you point it out to me?

2.) On the 3/4ths front view I attempted to rotate the head. On the smaller bird sprite I didn't do this as I knew I didn't have enough pixels to work with but I figured I had enough here. If it had the same head as the front or side view would that be better?

3.) Also on the 3/4ths front, can you you be specific on whats not reading? You can see the other views so you can tell the parts I am rotating. If I angled the wings back more would that help?
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 11:11:30 AM »

You used two slighty different green tones. I turned them into blue and yellow for you.
Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »

Ah, thanks. those were supposed to be yellow. I actually sampled them off another image to make sure Sad
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »

Sorry, I didn't even think about color blindness.  Embarrassed

I went ahead and made an edit. I was going to post on Pixelation but figured I would keep posting replies to where I did originally. My edit is by no means perfect but hopefully you will see my ideas. I also want to edit the colors pretty bad but didn't. The darkest color I really want to get rid of hehe. Not 100% on the 3/4 yet either, just a quick paint over.

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »

No problem, there is no reason for you to know that. I think I must have screwed up when using the color replacement tool.

I like some of your improvements, especially the feet. The head reads better as far as direction but it looks a bit vulture like to me now. I don't know about the eyes given a sprite the size of my player character lacks them but they do make the direction read work better.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help me with it zorg and thedaemon, I will work on it some more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic