Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:49:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKoriKori - an action puzzle where you eat while others fall in love..
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: KoriKori - an action puzzle where you eat while others fall in love..  (Read 2157 times)
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »

KORIKORI

Korikori will be an action puzzle game about eating a lot of green leaves
while others fall in love and play tennis.
We are 3 months into development and hoping to release KoriKori by the end of this year.

KoriKori has a website: http://www.korikori.co
I post updates etc on my twitter https://twitter.com/takemuraori.

Here is a comparison picture of overall progress:

Hi Everyone, earlier this year I felt that there is a need for a casual yet smart game for mobile, something rewarding and respectful to the player, fun, unique and surprising. Almost oldschool game-boy kind of action but done for the modern day.

In the beginning of this year I joined forces with Sean-Li Murmann and together we embarked on a mission of making it, I take all design and art direction as well as PR while Sean writes all the awesome code.

This place will be a dev log,
we have a mirror on touch arcade but I may be posting slightly different content and of course will be answering different questions I think Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:18:54 PM by ori » Logged

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »

I have no idea what this game is about after reading your post.
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »

@zorg - its is literally about eating green leaves - that's what caterpillars do and you are a caterpillar. It is also about life of each and everyone and choices we make. Partially this is why devlogs are fun - people can see how even a description of a game changes, if it does change of course.  I do think that describing games like - "this is a game about shooting aliens with a water pistol" is a bit diminishing, we don't describe movies that way, a good description should start with why, and then in case of KoriKori game is about life in a metaphor of a caterpillar.

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »

I would like to start from telling a little bit of a background, I am a designer by trade, and have been doing interaction design for last 10 years, I also run a design studio www.qixen-p.com and we publish games under it.

Our previous game was a mobile puzzle called Shapist www.playshapist.com you can see our devlog right here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35226.0

I perceive games as design challenges and experimentation with the medium. A game under qixen-p would usually means a collaboration with developers and sound designers who are not part of the studio.

austinbreed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »

I love the art direction so far.  Beer!

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:47:15 AM »

Thank you Austinbreed, I originally imagined that KoriKori would be very Nintendo 3D style (Like their recent Mario games etc) and did this mock up:

But later I started to seek more originality and we are going with flat shaded colors, funky faces and so on.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:53:22 AM »

This is not in game footage yet, but will should have this in game next week  Kiss

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »

I am also working on a design for KoriKori web site, here are some experimental transitions between screens. Html5 / JavaScript

Our experience with Shapist showed that having a good web site is very helpful.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 05:24:13 AM »

Here are some news, some background experimentation and a giant Snail obstacle.

After a number of playtestes we found  number of painpoints and the first one we decided to address were controls,  we tried adjusting animation so that player would have a better feel of feedback and adding a grid to show the distance perception, grid helped a bit but controls were still not there, what we tried then is to making the game instead of real time - turn based, it is turn based in a way that every time you swipe you take 1 move, and enemies also take a move etc, if you don't take a move for too long you starve and die... I am now designing levels based on the new rules.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »

Sorry for a silence, we have presented KoriKori at Tokyo Game Show and were very packed with ongoing tasks to make that happen.
Here is how the game looked like on level 3:

here are some photos of people playing it:

Here is our booth design (I used very simple elements, made a pattern on the table out of giveaway cards )

I post more often on twitter: https://twitter.com/takemuraori but will keep detailed updates coming here as well. I will write on what we learned from playtests at TGS and what will the changes be.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:57 AM »

Certainly looks interesting, you've got a very definite visual style going on there. I'm still a bit unsure what the mechanics of the game are? Is it a snake-type thing?

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »

Here is how our progress looks so far if you compare the very early build and current game Smiley
We are sending demo build APK for android to everyone who would want to try a demo and give us their feedback, please PM me with your email address Smiley

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 07:00:44 PM »

One of the goals and inspirations for me in terms of visual design in KoriKori is to reproduce the feeling of games like Mario, kirby's dream land etc on GameBoy, not stylistics but the feeling, a small magical almost world that lives inside the device.

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »

Here is a birdie that will be a one hell of a hard enemy in the game. This GIF is dated around ten days ago, and we are now including it into the game and puzzles.  Blink

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »

This is absolutely cute-tastic!

Will the bird be an obstacle you must overcome, or will it be a legitimate boss?

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »

@M4uesviecr thank you Smiley I am glad you like it, I think KoriKori is a first time for me in over a decade in design when i am seriously work on creating cute style and characters.
You can not beat the bird, but one can consider levels with it as a boss levels, those are most challenging and unlike the rest of the world that takes a move when you take a move, bird gives you limited time and then tries to eat you.  Hand Fork Left

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:11 AM »

I'm starting to get the idea here - cool - was a bit lost at first, honestly. Looking good now!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Niteris
Level 0

NiTL's player character

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »

Your game looks great!

Let me know if you need trailers or other promotional videos for it, I'm a freelancer audio/video editor (and voice actor if you need it) and I work extremely quickly and at a fair price.

Send me an email at [email protected]  Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic