Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:08:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNaming convention problem in my story generation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Naming convention problem in my story generation  (Read 879 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24530447/flash%20build/GameIdeaStory.html

want = ( desire, fear )
ownership = ( obtain, lose )
polar = ( negatif, neutral, positif )
need = ( safety, relationship, achievement )
? ? ? = ( ( internal, external ) , ( state, process ) ) = ( behavior, attitude, activity, space )
personal = ( itself, other, everybody, someone )
nuance = ( spend, destroy, hold, ignore )

<STAKE> = <want><ownership>
<THEME> = <polar> <need> <? ? ?>
<VALUE> =  <THEME> <personal>

Resolution =  <STAKE>  <VALUE>
attitude =  <personal>  <nuance>  <VALUE>
Action =  <nuance>  <need>  <personal>
event =  <personal>  <Action>
balance =  <VALUE> ( lead to, is greater ) <VALUE>

I'm working on a prototypical story generator and I have made a simple random selector that feed the system. However it's a system I want to share and I have some problem with the naming of elements. I have programmer friends (i'm a designer, but I coded this prototype) who interested in the system but I have some trouble sharing the code with them.

So I figures out I might ask for help to seek better term. Notably Im' not sure how to word the <THEME> part and the <? ? ?>

It's like a light grammar system what's inside <> is basically an element of the grammar and what's inside () is the dictionary of elements that can replace the grammar node.

Basically the system generate thematic unit for a story. It's based on the idea that all story are about the human condition and that this condition is define by "wants and fear", so I used a simplified maslow pyramid (need) as a high class of all stories. Thematic movement define what's the story is about and what's the dynamics.

For example resolution unrolled is :

<want><ownership>  <polar><need><? ? ?> <personal>

which can be instanced as :

Desire "to" gain positif safety (external state -> space) "for" someone

Obviously the [positif safety (external state -> space)] is a bit mouthful Sad

The first part is about the need goal of the desire, [positif safety ... for someone] is basically saying we wish someone good relative to its safety. External state (or space) mean that that this safety is relative to an external state ie not the state of the target (designated by <personal> ). For example it could be translated as looking for a safe place (external state) for someone, or getting rid of dangerous stuff inside the world (implied by the wish) to make it safe. It mean that the "solution" lie in external state. If it was a process the solution would lied into events that need to happen (for example "raining").

I don't know if you get it ... I want to make it more understandable, more clear in term and explanation to anyone.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »

for once I need positif and negatif by bad and good Giggle

Desire "to" gain good safety ... (external state -> space) "for" someone

I need a liaison word instead of ... should it be in, for or from? Huh?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »

alternative naming for ,need
need = ( safety, relationship, achievement ) = (protection, recognition, realization)

Desire "to" gain good protection "in" external state (space) "for" someone

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »

desire permutation are called solution
fear permutation are called problem

maybe I should pair problem and solution to get more complex thematic dynamic.

Ie:

fear to lose/gain "is solved by" desire to gain/lose

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »

Changing the naming again for more clarity, I can contract "need" and "polarity"

positive + protection = safety
positive + recognition = acceptation
positive + realization = achievement

negative + protection = threat
negative + recognition = rejection
negative + realization = alienation

neutral + protection = Huh??
neutral + recognition = Huh??
neutral + realization = Huh??

Desire "to" gain safety "in" external state (space) "for" someone

I struggle to name the part I tagged "? ? ?" but I refer to it as "localisation", it tells where is the origin of the "solution/problem", is it something that happen externally to the target, like in world space as a property of that space (state) or like in an activity that happen within that space (process, an invasion for exemple) OR is this something that happen inside the target ie its internal state or process.

Maybe I can contract a bit more need + localisation, i'm less sure, internal state/process can mean something in the "mind" or "body" (as general concept not necessarily tied to a "lifelike" character), so there is again an extra layer of diversion, I don't know if we need to go there yet as this level Huh?  basically an example would be "negative protection space" = threat + space = danger, threat + attitude = weakness (of the mind), threat + behavior = denial ... don't make much sense now No No NO

the idea behind the human readable input is to allow anyone to look at the generation process and know what happen in a non obscure way
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:02:07 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »

BTW the "localisation" elements are label like this:

internal state = attitude
internal process = behavior
external state = space
external process = activity

this could use better naming too, any idea?

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »

Changing the naming again for more clarity, I can contract "need" and "polarity"

positive + protection = safety
positive + recognition = acceptation
positive + realization = achievement

negative + protection = threat
negative + recognition = rejection
negative + realization = alienation

neutral + protection = Huh??
neutral + recognition = Huh??
neutral + realization = Huh??

Desire "to" gain safety "in" external state (space) "for" someone

I struggle to name the part I tagged "? ? ?" but I refer to it as "localisation", it tells where is the origin of the "solution/problem", is it something that happen externally to the target, like in world space as a property of that space (state) or like in an activity that happen within that space (process, an invasion for exemple) OR is this something that happen inside the target ie its internal state or process.

Maybe I can contract a bit more need + localisation, i'm less sure, internal state/process can mean something in the "mind" or "body" (as general concept not necessarily tied to a "lifelike" character), so there is again an extra layer of diversion, I don't know if we need to go there yet as this level Huh?  basically an example would be "negative protection space" = threat + space = danger, threat + attitude = weakness (of the mind), threat + behavior = denial ... don't make much sense now No No NO

the idea behind the human readable input is to allow anyone to look at the generation process and know what happen in a non obscure way

I'd say:

neutral + protection = risk
neutral + recognition = anonymity
neutral + realization = motivation

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »

Oh!!!! things I hadn't thought I'll look at it carefully

on the spot, risk is kind of negative and motivation is kind of positive but anonymity is perfect!

on the spot something between risk and vulnerability more like "open" -> got it: "exposed"

Motivation -> passivity? apathy? unconcern? INDIFFERENCE? insouciance? detachment? impassivity? dispassion? http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/unconcerned
Maybe I should change alienation to frustration?

Thank you that was great!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:46:19 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 06:27:46 PM »

Risk is only negative because it can lead to a negative state from a neutral one. But it can also lead to a positive state. In Spain we have a saying 'who doesn't risk, doesn't win'. But exposed is good as well, slightly different but maybe more fitting.

In general I see neutral as "potentially positive or negative". Or "what leads to something else", as you said it is the origin of the solution or the problem. it's an intermediate, inert state. So you are probably right about motivation.

Related, interesting read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_cognition

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic