Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:19:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs the Humble Widget worth it?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is the Humble Widget worth it?  (Read 1109 times)
therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »

Hi All,

When we contacted the Humble Bundle guys to get our games on their store they "suggested" that we should look at the Humble Widget.

Our site doesnt generate much traffic and we are wondering if it is worth adding the Widget or not?

What are your experiences with it?

Thanks,
Steve

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »

I use a humble widget for my site. It's great for selling direct from your site as Humble handles everything. Not sure why you wouldn't use it. What are your misgivings about using it?

MrBones
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »

Even if not many people use it, what's the downside to having it besides it maybe looking out of place with most site designs? As long as even one person uses it there's really no clear downside to having it.
therevillsgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 12:25:56 AM »

Thanks for the replies Smiley

I guess I'm more asking do you think it helps with directing traffic to your site?

At the moment, our games are sold on some of the big casual games portals such as Big Fish Games, GameHouse and iWin, what I normally do is add a link to those sites instead of trying to see it directly due to the lack of traffic.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:38:33 AM »

As far as I understand, it doesn't help with any traffic.  It's really just a more legitimate/trusted looking way for buyers to get your game I guess.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:50:33 AM »

Well, the way I see it, if someone goes to your site, sees you game, likes it and buys it, then sees the humble bundle with the game in it, they're gonna be pissed off at missing an opportunity to save money. And it was you fault for not advertising that option to them.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:32:58 AM »

I don't get what you mean by "worth it". it doesn't cost anything and you could have just set it up in the time you have spend thinking/reading about it.

I have the humble widget on my game's site but nobody uses it because it's on Steam for the same price

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »

Well, the way I see it, if someone goes to your site, sees you game, likes it and buys it, then sees the humble bundle with the game in it, they're gonna be pissed off at missing an opportunity to save money. And it was you fault for not advertising that option to them.

Er, this is about the Humble Widget, not Humble Bundle. The widget is just the thing that lets you do direct sales, not the bundle sales.

I have the humble widget on my game's site but nobody uses it because it's on Steam for the same price

The moment the game gets on Steam everything else may as well stop existing.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:59 AM »

I think it's always great to have a non-Steam option. Never got into the swing of using that program.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic