Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:00:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJonathan Blow and The Witness
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow and The Witness  (Read 22270 times)
Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:12 AM »

What do people make of the devlog and so on for The Witness?

At first I thought it looked a bit overly theoretical, but the more I read about it the more excited I am to play it. It looks like he's really trying to analyse the human experience through the game mechanics themselves.

Can anyone think of any games that achieve a similar effect?

What are people's impressions of the game?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »

Funny you should mention that game, I'm reading a technical article by Casey Muratori about his experience working on it. I'm at part 11, where he talks about code compression, how you should actually be using OOP and how most people teach it wrong or something. Pretty interesting, and it's the first C++ paper I've been able to follow...

And, no, I can't think of any other game that does that. More games should focus on that.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »

the witness is still a thing?

It looks like he's really trying to analyse the human experience through the game mechanics themselves

how is he doing this (serious question, i skimmed the dovleg just now but it was all technical stuff)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:50:51 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »

Can you link to the devlog, I can't find it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »

this is what i found: http://the-witness.net/news/
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »

I'm kind of excited for it, but moreso just because I like puzzles and exploring. I also liked Braid's hidden stars, and hope this game features something similarly well-hidden.

If it winds up being transcendental, bonus.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »

I've been looking forward to it for a while:

this trailer was a few years ago. It seems pretty complete, I can't quite understand what's going on in the dev process.

Edit: I've also seen Jon Blow tweet about having 600 or more puzzles in the game already, so a good deal of the game has to exist already. 

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:19 AM »

blow seems like the kind of person who wants every aspect of his games to be as polished as possible (if braid is any indication at least, that was probably THE most polished indie game when it came out), and, welp, this seems to be a big game.

also just because they have 600 puzzles already, doesnt meant those puzzles aren't still being tweaked and stuff.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »

That's probably it. Having the resources to nail down every detail on such a big project must be nice.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

i mean, from what i've read, he basically poured all the money he made with braid into the witness.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

say what you want about the guy, but dude cares about his craft A LOT

I hope it's good
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »

also just because they have 600 puzzles already, doesnt meant those puzzles aren't still being tweaked and stuff.
Yeh he did a Twitch stream awhile back, and a Witness tester (witnesser if you will) was in the background. And Blow mentioned that he'd been trying to solve the last puzzle of the game for around six days. And the guy solved it on the stream and Blow went over and asked him about the steps he went through to solve it. Not enough that a player can solve a puzzle, they have to solve it properly in a satisfying and logical way, not just random button pushes. Was pretty cool.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »

If a puzzle can be solved by randomness or brute force in practice then it is not a sophisticated puzzle.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
woodenrabbit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »

I'm worried I won't like the game, because it oozes a Myst feeling for me. I know Myst is a great game, but I could never play it for long because of how lonely it made me feel.

I do think that Jonathan Blow is giving the game a ton of thought, so I hope that whatever magic he works on the game will prove my worries wrong.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »

Jonathan Blows the Witness?

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 11:26:51 PM »

Durr...?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 03:49:27 AM »

Jonathan Blows the Witness?
Like a cartridge to make it work right.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 07:20:54 AM »

I hate when my steam games glitch out and I have to blow on them through the microphone to get them working again.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 12:23:51 PM »

Funny you should mention that game, I'm reading a technical article by Casey Muratori about his experience working on it. I'm at part 11, where he talks about code compression, how you should actually be using OOP and how most people teach it wrong or something. Pretty interesting, and it's the first C++ paper I've been able to follow...

Thank you so much for posting about this. It's really interesting and resonates a lot with me and how I work. Smiley
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:50 PM »

Thinking it over a bit more, if the game has 600 puzzles and each one requires a day of polish that's basically 2 years worth of work. So that makes sense as to why its taking so long. I just hope the game isn't too big to enjoy as a player.

My friends and I joke that the game is already out and the first puzzle is figuring out where to buy and download it  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic