Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:47:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJonathan Blow and The Witness
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow and The Witness  (Read 22235 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »

I'm worried I won't like the game, because it oozes a Myst feeling for me. I know Myst is a great game, but I could never play it for long because of how lonely it made me feel.

I do think that Jonathan Blow is giving the game a ton of thought, so I hope that whatever magic he works on the game will prove my worries wrong.

i probably won't like it because i don't like puzzle games (i wasnt a big fan of braid either)

but hey it's ambitious and its trying to break the mold in some way, i can respect that!
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »

I differentiate between puzzle games, and puzzles attached to a game. The former is Metroid, the latter Uncharted. Puzzle games create a native environment for the whole game that provides interesting gameplay. While attached puzzles can be considered a hack into the game. Thus they are devoid of native motivation to engage with them.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 08:52:06 PM »

LET'S INTELLECTUALIZE SHIT.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »

I'm pretty excited for this game too. I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned how gorgeous it looks overall, like it bright, colourful and nicely stylized.

Life sucks and then you die.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »

Since the release date is getting so close, I figured it might be good to have a thread here to discuss hype/expectations/apprehensions with the game as it's been showcased so far.

I'm stoked as hell, honestly. The game really looks stunning, and Jon Blow is a relentless visionary and perfectionist, so I have no doubt that I'll enjoy it immensely. Anyone else looking forward to it or planning to preorder?
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »

i'm happy he priced it the way he did

also it looks pretty

Dragonmaw
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »

Jon Blow is an elitist classist dickhead who does nothing but sneer at the average indie developer, so I have no plans on buying The Witness.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »

the witness looks really good, most anticipated indie game 4 sure

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »

I loved Braid but there is nothing I've seen about The Witness that has remotely piqued my interest. I may review it for the PigIgnorant.com podcast but I'm not planning on going out of my way to try it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »

Jon Blow is an elitist classist dickhead who does nothing but sneer at the average indie developer, so I have no plans on buying The Witness.

his gam looks kool tho :V

even if im not sure i will actually enjoy bc not a fan of puzzles. i didn't really "like" braid either, tho recognize that it was very well made.

merged with older thread btw
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »

Why?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 03:40:15 PM »

It looks like exactly the kind of game I like - exploration and puzzles. I'll absolutely be picking this up.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »

I'm very excited but the announcement of no score has me a little worried. I'm sure the sound design will make up for it but I loved Braid a lot mostly due to how good the music was. Still hard to believe the Braid soundtrack was entirely royalty free music from multiple artists.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »

I'm sure we'll get some diegetic music in there at certain points, but I'm actually really looking forward to the rest of the game's soundscape. Blow's apparently gone incredibly all-out with the sound design.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »

Why?

He tells indie developers that them not following "good code standards" is killing the industry.

He once said that if you can't afford the Greenlight fee, you shouldn't be an indie developer.

He's generally behaves like a rich classist asshole and I have no interest in giving him any money.

Not that my opinion really matters in the long run, and I'm not really trying to convince anybody, just laying it out there that Jon Blow is not a good person and is toxic to the community we work and play in.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »

Why?
He once said that if you can't afford the Greenlight fee, you shouldn't be an indie developer.

this is to be discussed. 100 $ is nothing if you can afford to be a developer. 
And it's wiser to see in what context he said that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »

do his opinions have any sort of wide ranging influence to be toxic to the community tho? because this is the first time i've heard any of this and judging by the game maker humble bundle, most indies have even worse "code standards" than me lol.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »

jb does sound kinda like a dick but let's be real this is one is obviously true

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »

He tells indie developers that them not following "good code standards" is killing the industry.

Why did you put that in quotes? That sounds like a perfectly reasonable statement. I mean, sure, not everyone has access to good education, but there are many cheap sources of information on the subject, like Lynda.com, Udemy and other education websites like these. Not following good code standards does seem like the kind of thing that would harm the video game industry.

I don't get why you seem so angry towards him. Is there something else you didn't mention?

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »

Jonathan Blow is a little arrogant but I don't think that means he should be totally written off as a dick. He made one of the games that really kicked off the indie scene and inspired a lot of people.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic