Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:09:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBLACKSEA ODYSSEY - Now on Steam Early Access!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: BLACKSEA ODYSSEY - Now on Steam Early Access!!!  (Read 3264 times)
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »

A top-down shooter about ripping massive space creatures to shreds with a harpoon and rune-infused spears.

Blacksea Odyssey feataures rogue-like elements, massive boss battles, and an expansive customization system.

You play as an old man who rides around space in his surfboard-like ship, trying to catch larger and larger space fish until you can eventually catch the Titanfish - the largest of them all.

Blacksea Odyssey will be released on PCs and console in Spring 2016.

KEY FEATURES

ROGUE-LIKE ELEMENTS

Blacksea Odyssey features rogue-like elements such as procedural level generation, permadeath, and a steep difficulty curve.

MASSIVE BOSS BATTLES

The bosses in Blacksea Odyssey range from half the screen size to several times larger than the screen – not to spoil anything Wink

EXPANSIVE CUSTOMIZATION SYSTEM

Each level consists of procedurally generated environmental objects and randomized enemy spawning, making each level unique.

HARPOON MECHANIC

The harpoon acts as a utility which can be used to slow enemies and rip them apart, leaving them permanently wounded.

MEDIA

CURRENT STATUS
We've recently wrapped up our Vertical Slice and are currently working towards our Alpha milestone.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:00:26 PM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

Will Sykes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:09:57 AM »

This game looks wonderfully bonkers Smiley
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:01 AM »

Thanks so much Will! I will post a tech demo in a few days talking about latest features. Smiley

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:44:02 AM »

Here's two tech demos we made awhile back talking about our core gameplay mechanics. Smiley

The second one talks about the updates we made since the first one.

Prototype Tech Demo

Pre-Alpha Tech Demo

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »

Old VS New

Some people have expressed that they prefer some aspects of the old image such as the background color and HUD. Are there any elements that you think we should reintegrate into the new design/art?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:40:46 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:56:19 AM »

What do you think of our new biome?

Here are new screenshots from the latest biome. It's a space desert which features insect like enemies and deadly cacti.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:41:25 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

seanybaby2
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »

This game looks awesome. The hype level is easily over 9000.
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:43:45 AM »

This game looks awesome. The hype level is easily over 9000.

Thanks Seanybaby2!

We're also experimenting with making character portraits look 3D with a simple animation. What do you think? Character portraits will appear mostly in the ui for dialog. Smiley

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:41:53 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 05:54:33 AM »

Just wanted to say I updated main post with tons of new gifs and more video links so be sure to check them out above ^^^! Smiley

Sunburned Games
Level 1

We are working on The Great Whale Road.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »

Hi Guys,

Nice work! The new UI has a more organic feel to it which works better with the overall style of the game. The old UI reminded me of 90s Star Trek games. Wink The 3D feel in 2D is a nice touch, but your use of geometry certainly helps. Wink

At first I preferred the old background, but I am not sure the colours of the creatures work as well in it.

Cheers,
Joachim @Sunburned_Games

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 05:12:13 AM »

Nice work! The new UI has a more organic feel to it which works better with the overall style of the game. The old UI reminded me of 90s Star Trek games. Wink The 3D feel in 2D is a nice touch, but your use of geometry certainly helps. Wink

At first I preferred the old background, but I am not sure the colours of the creatures work as well in it.

Thanks so much for the feedback! We actually received similar feedback regarding the background color! We made it a bit lighter and added some particle effects to give a slight abstract/nautical feel. I'll post updates of various background iterations soon and to get more feedback. Smiley

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 06:08:43 AM »

Emerald Jones

Emerald Jones’ real name is Dexter, just Dexter. When he was little he was picked on by all of his peers and classmates. Growing up in the center of the fashion cosmoverse, he was always trying to fit in and be cool but had little luck. Finally when he became an adult Dexter changed his name to Emerald Jones and became a big hit in the fashion industry, his number one clothing line being Big Game Wearables, a collection of handmade purses, suits and jackets tailored from the skin of exotic space fish.

Sample Dialog:

“That’s razzlin dazzlin babae!”
“It’s about to get reaaal funky in here ladies and gentlemen, real funky! Now come on!”
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:31:04 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »

Xezemoth

Xezemoth comes from a species of hyper intelligent reptilian creatures. Their species is known for it’s imperialistic and carnivorous view of the universe. They travel from galaxy to galaxy conquering all known forms of life, raiding and pillaging anything they see fit along the way. Xezemoth is known as one of the foulest and cruelest amongst their species. Xezemoth is a specially foul beast of his species, after being tainted by the ghosts of the Neverrealm. His wrath is especially cruel, and so is his hunger to spread evil.

Sample Dialog:

“You are but swine swinging to the rhythm of your own decay.”
“I smell your blood, I feel the heat of it, I can taste it’s essence.”
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:32:30 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 05:23:15 AM »

Rade “Crazy Eyes” Lawson

Rade “Crazy Eyes” Lawson is the most feared bounty hunter in the universe. Growing up on the galactic frontier with a rough childhood made him heartless and cruel. He only accepts the deadliest, most daring jobs – regardless of the pay. While he still does jobs on the side, he decided to take up hunting astrofish because he found hunting people “too easy and boring” for his taste. They call him “Crazy Eyes” because they say when he’s on the hunt, he becomes crazed and his eyes unveil his bloodthirsty intentions.

Sample Dialog:

“If you wanna live another day.. Get out of my way!”
“You’re all too lousy to earn the biggest bounty!”
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:33:37 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 05:29:30 AM »

The Old Man

The Old Man, the eldest human huntsman to still roam the Blacksea, comes from a time where space huntsman used to kill for food, not sport. At the climax of his career, his fellow huntsman respected and revered his skill. But one day a Titanfish dug it’s razor sharp teeth into his shoulder and ripped his right arm clean from his body. Despite continuing to hunt with a regenerated bionic arm, his skill and favor has sense wavered. The Old Man’s unyielding determination and sense of destiny drive him to regain his glory and claim vengeance.

Sample Dialog:

“My great Titanfish must be somewhere!”
“I am not made for defeat!”

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »

Teaser - Announcement Trailer Clip

Small snipped of the characters preparing to commence the competition!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:23:02 AM by BlackseaOdyssey » Logged

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 06:00:49 AM »

Just letting everyone know I updated the Media section with fresh screenshots!
Please give them a look above!

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 07:35:46 AM »

Announcement Trailer and Alpha Registration Announced!

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 05:18:44 AM »

Bounty Selection Screen

Here the player will weigh the risks and rewards of each of the available bounties, and make a selection of which bounty to pursue next. They can also purchase runes and consumables from the shop.

ad7
Level 0

Welcome to the next level.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 06:03:51 AM »

I really enjoyed the tech demo, and the character art is nice.
Registered for the alpha!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic