Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:43:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessUnderstanding VAT When Selling Through Steam, Other Vendors
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Understanding VAT When Selling Through Steam, Other Vendors  (Read 999 times)
MrBones
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »

Hey everyone. Pretty stupid question here, but I'm inexperienced with business.
I've been reading up on VAT and such lately especially in the terms of usage for vendors such as Steam, and I'm wondering how exactly VAT responsibilities work for US/North American citizens. Do these big vendors such as Steam, GMG, GoG, and Humble handle VAT for you since they're technically the sellers? If not, do you actually have to register in every single country to pay out VAT responsibilities?

Thanks in advance.
StrayCatRock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:43:53 PM »

Hey everyone. Pretty stupid question here, but I'm inexperienced with business.
I've been reading up on VAT and such lately especially in the terms of usage for vendors such as Steam, and I'm wondering how exactly VAT responsibilities work for US/North American citizens. Do these big vendors such as Steam, GMG, GoG, and Humble handle VAT for you since they're technically the sellers? If not, do you actually have to register in every single country to pay out VAT responsibilities?

Practically, the store vendors (Steam & co) collect the VAT from European customers and remit it to the VAT offices so you don't have to care about it.

Now if you were to sell things yourself without any third-party then you would have to comply to the EU VAT law for digital goods but you would probably die under all the paperwork  Wink
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/telecom/index_en.htm#one_stop

EDIT: a good example of the administrative things it implies is on Itch.io between choosing to collect the money directly from the customer to your paypal account or choosing Itch.io to collect the money and get a payout later.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:50:55 PM by StrayCatRock » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic