Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:20:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPC GamePads, Should developers still support Keys
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: PC GamePads, Should developers still support Keys  (Read 2128 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »

As a pc gamer only , i don't have a gamepad and never felt the use of a gamepad even for platformers.
So if there is no option at all to play on keyboard... i don't think i'll go push myself to buy a gamepad unless the game is like a must-have...
And since i'm used to what game dev is, i'll just take it as laziness from the game developer .

and when i want to play fighting games, i use sticks , no gamepad.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:40 AM »

My personal preference for fighting games is keyboard over gamepad. I have never owned a stick table thingie.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »

Yeah getting a gamepad is so cheap these days and it's incredibly useful for a variety of titles. I think anyone who is serious about PC gaming should own at least one. Preferably more than one if you plan on playing any sort of local multiplayer game.

Okay, convince me, bud.
Take into account that I've always, always been a PC gamer, never a console one. I like gamepads for driving sims (Need for Speed), and... and that's about it.

Why would I learn a new control scheme and conventions, and for what games, besides the vanishingly few number of games that "require" a gamepad, to play?
(And keep in mind that I don't play platformers).
If you take driving sims seriously, you should get a wheel. I have a really basic one that used a couple of times.

For gamepads, damn, man... Any fighting game, sports game, the platformers you don't like. OK, not management/tycoon sims, card games and visual novels, but still...
For dirt cheap, you can get a decent gamepad and have a finer degree of control in directions, and even some button presses can vary depending on how hard you press a button.

Yeah.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »

you can fully enjoy platformers and fighting games on keyboard if you can rebind keys. Reputation comes from old shitty ports that put movement on wasd and actions on your monitor control buttons by default.
That said i never went back to keyboard for fighting/console type games, even after realizing that i pulled cooler combos and was better in snk arcade games somehow
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »

no i can't even halfly enjoy anything with mouse and keyboard because it doesn't feel like a real game Sad

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

personally xcom plays better with a gamepad i feel. i have my laptop permanently connected to my tv and retty much couch game all the time, so a gamepad is considerable more comfortable than kb+m. Its not a replacement, but rather a complement.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »

Most PC people still don't have gamepads so making a game only support gamepad is dumb and any serious attempt will support at least the keyboard. What I'd really wish is if games stopped assuming that gamepads can always only be XBox controllers (and completely ignore any other gamepads), argh (gets even worse if your controller doesn't have the "standard" layout from modern consoles).

(And keep in mind that I don't play platformers).

I find Sol better to play with the keyboard, actually. The arrow keys give you a faster response than a D-pad. Most people hate the idea of pressing keys, though.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »

I'm personally using XBOX360 on PC Windows and PS3 on MAC.
But I'm so used to playing with keys that I stick to them except if the game suggests that gamepad offers better controls.
But in any case you should support keys but good ones.
Some games only support the arrows and US keyboard mapping:

qwe
asd
zxc

but if you have an azerty keyboard, forcing the US mapping can feel akward.

aze
qsd
wxc

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 12:27:44 AM »

If you take driving sims seriously, you should get a wheel. I have a really basic one that used a couple of times.

I hear where you're coming from, but I never liked wheels. They've seemed to be too cumbersome and felt floaty, though I bet a really expensive one would be okay. I dunno, the increasing spring tension of the thumbstuck has been good for me, for driving games. If I must play a driving game on a PC, I'll use a joystick. Which is actually okay for the controlling, it just feels retarded. But, that's only my opinion, and it is probably not widely shared.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:27 AM »

I've completed multiple playthroughs of Dark Souls on kb+m. camera's a bit sluggish with mousefix, but it's very much playable. there is nothing about dark souls control scheme that inherently requires a gamepad, it's just their kb+m implementation which sucks. Dark Souls 2 Sotfs fixed mouse control to the point, where kb+m is superior to gamepad, thanks to much more precise camera control.

this story repeats with almost all free 3rd/1st persona camera games. if the kb+m controls are implemented decently, mouse control will massively outclass gamepad's sticks, there's no contest.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »

wowowowow, people making games for PC asking if they should support KEYS?

stick to your gamepads and consoles, filthy peasants

on a (more) serious note: i have a gamepad that i only use when playing fifa/sf 1v1 locally, never use it for serious gaming because it's stupid and useless, nothing beats keyboard and mouse, especially because i mostly play FPS and arts games.

if there is something i hate is when gamedevs port a game from console and can't even bother "translating" menus and controls to PC/keyboard and still show me "press A" with green button to do something, rofl.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:25 AM »

gonna put some crappy keyboard/mouse mapping muh gam and then defs gonna put "gamepad recommended (you filthy peasant)" when it starts

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »

What about the reverse: should you port keyboard controls to controller?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »

wowowowow, people making games for PC asking if they should support KEYS?

I actually saw this problem happen with XNA games... (there were many that expected a 360 controller and nothing else, not even a keyboard)

if there is something i hate is when gamedevs port a game from console and can't even bother "translating" menus and controls to PC/keyboard and still show me "press A" with green button to do something, rofl.

Sonic Heroes has the worst case of this. They reused the same letters... then mapped those on the keyboard. So you press B and Y to switch formations, Z for the team blast and X to attack (not as awkward since the spacebar does the same as A at least, but B/Y just feels... odd, given their placement). Somebody wasn't even trying there.

At least the biggest issue was just the formation because the main actions happened to map nicely by coincidence (Z, X, spacebar). But it's annoying when you have to switch a lot.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »

Who even plays Sonic Heroes? Let alone Sonic games at all???

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »

pls i'm not making games for pc

i'm making games

that happen to have to be on pc because that's the easiest platform to reach

you're not escaping my gamepad!!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 10:37:21 AM »

You cannot generalize it that way. Since most games on pc are built around the use of k+mouse you might start believing that fallacy. You restrict the variety of games which can be potentially created if you demand the games to be built around that input method. But pc is an open platfrorm, and certainly not restricted to k+mouse input. Personally I would be perfectly fine if the game clearly tells me upfront that it requires a gamepad to be played.

nothing beats keyboard and mouse
My game Trap Them beats keyboard and mouse. Thex Xbox controller is a natural fit for it but you can still play it on a keyboard. And yeah, most certainly this is not a game for dummies;)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »

Who even plays Sonic Heroes? Let alone Sonic games at all???

I completed it with all the teams... >.>;
jiitype
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 02:33:12 AM »

upcoming fighting game that you can actually play on a keyboard http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/20/rising-thunder-the-pc-fighting-game-made-for-your-keyboard
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 03:18:41 AM »

the dum thing aout keyboards for gameieing is that you end up with a million unused keys. yes there are some games that are designed around keyboard controls. doesn't mean that keyboards aren't fundamentally meant for typing rather than playing games.

i grew up with both consoles and pc and don't have a platform preference
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic