Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:26:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallcool collection of animated characters for a really good price...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: cool collection of animated characters for a really good price...  (Read 563 times)
rungy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »

It's a Unity(3.5.7) package file

Available now here...All Star Character Library Package]

[QUOTE="theANMATOR2b
"Very nice library of characters. The female models seem to outshine the male (plain) models.
List of animations?
Does that mean these characters are setup for mecanim humanoid rig?
How are the long cloth/hair/eyes pieces rigged/animated?
...A video?
[/QUOTE]

theAnimator2b, Thank you for your interest, these are great questions...
females vs males:
I agree the girls look better, I seem to enjoy working on them, however some of the best sci fi models start on the male skel. In terms of the ancients...barbarians and the like, the males are more plain as they are VERY generic...that's dilerberatey so...if anything the girls are too detailed and not stereotypical enough in my opinion as they cannot fill a generic roll very easily. i have some more designs to remedy that. The general goal is to give a developer the abilty to create games or at the very least prototyping to secure project funding. There's a ton of data in here and that saves an awful lot of time for a small group of indies that may be called upon to produce a vertical slice in a short time frame. I'm a bit off topic for the question, but it does relate to the general flow...I have more designs coming soon.

200 animations are not unique..
they are a matrix built upon weapon(less) states...so there's currently your VERY basic set of core animations x each weapon state and those states are as follows...

2H - 2 handed (longsword for example)
Bow
Spear
Dual - DualWield
SS - SwordAndShield
Pistol
Rifle
UN - unarmed
The animations for each are...
Idle
WalkF
Attack
CombatIdle
CombatRunF
CombatWalkF
Pain
DeathA
DeathB
DeathC

Mechanim questions:
All models and animations are currently on the basic machanim skeleton
There are no extra bones for anything. In all honesty I'm a complete noob to Mech so any advice, recommendations or requests are VERY welcome.

in addition to a regular 2 spine skel with 30 finger bones, there two weapon points that are used in all animations, 3 bow bones that are only used in bow animations, a one visor bone that is only present in the knight base file(requires a layer or coded rotation)

Cloth is split between legs, with a bit of clever masking into the leg texture underneath in a few cases. The amazons specifically the second one n green seems to work "ok" but not good in my opinion.Unless someone else helps me understand a better option, I'll go an entire legacy set with full cloth support.my understanding is that if someone wants to use mechanims from another source that extra bones will not be present and present a huge problem for a coder for example.

Hair is currently rigged to the head neck and body, again...my understanding is that if someone wants to use mechanims from another source that extra bones will not be present and present a huge problem for a coder for example.

So in both cases...although those things are not rigged and animated to the best ideal methods...they are compatable with any mech-humanoid IK anims.

there are no eye bones in as yet...or other face bones...when I do add them...it will be a separate hierarchy that is linked to the head and each character will have their own facial "poses" or anims for those. This way I can have dramatically different faces.

videos
Yeah I definately need to get the Youtube shots for each out there, but I think getting the avatar interface for doing texture comines and draw call combines needs to take precedence. the below image shows all the characters in one scene. in editor, stats is reporting 90+ fps on an Athlon II 3.2 Ghz with a GTS 250.

I think fps will increase about 40% when each characters components are combined down into one draw call. Also the Avatar interface will allevaite anyone from having to bounce back and forth between the editor and a paint program as the interface will create the users specific choices into an atlas on the fly both in editor and at runtime. But as soon as that is done, videos will be next in line.

Some additional concerns and warnings....

these are NOT normal mapped characters, currently they are hand painted.

They are not cinematic quality, these are game assets intended as high performance game assets. If I do create normals for the entire set it will be part of a High Def pack that will be a separate purchase. That's why I am calling this a system instead of a library...there are 7 components slated for development. Each is separate as not everyone needs every one of them. each component is $50. The library is the core, it is the heart of the system, all other components will require the library as a main component.

The texture source is 4096x2048, with the left half of the texture being used the the main body and the right half being used for heads, hair, eyes, extra upper body details, extra lower body details, weapons and shields  I do not recommend using textures that big in an atlased system. In the "all characters scene" up top, I limited the max size in advanced texture settings to 2048, that seemed to work great. 30 characters in a scene without LOD's yet was a good indicator that I was hitting the perfornance required for a good brawl.
These do not mip map well at all, I get bleed from all over the texture when mip mapping is on. Not to mention that mip mapping in general on characters looks like muddy crap in my opinion.

Some of the female hairstyles have noticable seams when viewed up close. This was very sloppy of me, but I am trying to maximize texel density as well as line up for vertical based hair sheen shaders(aniso). The solution is obvious and that is to have darker roots at the top of the hair "strip" and then assure that all the hairstyles utilize it that way. Again these are not desinged to be High Def cinematic models, these are game assets and are purely intended as being that and only that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:26:44 AM by rungy » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic