Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:20:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you have a PC gamepad
Poll
Question: Do you have a PC game pad?
No - 8 (13.8%)
Yes (XB 360 style) - 37 (63.8%)
Yes (third party) - 13 (22.4%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Do you have a PC gamepad  (Read 2557 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »

To add some real controversy to this tho: I use a magic trackpad for my PC (not for games, for which I have gamepads, but for PC'ing) — and I never want to go back to a regular mouse!

Trackpads have two issues: the limited range (not really an issue for normal PC use, there are reliable workarounds) and how responsive/sensitive it is. The latter being awful with most trackpads, but there are some that get it just right and don't feel annoying to use. Heck, lately I'm just using the trackpad despite having a mouse because I'm too lazy to connect it, normally I plug in the mouse now only when I'm doing too much pointing (e.g. when drawing lots of stuff).

In other words, trackpads have some issues but are acceptable when you find a good one. Shame you can't change the trackpad on a laptop =P (I'm lucky the one on this laptop is good, all other laptops I've tried have crappy ones)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:31 PM »

This is literally a portable version of the ones built into portable Macs, actually, so they're great on the laptops as well.

But yeah, cheap ones aren't usually very good. I actually kind of enjoyed the mouse... something (I'd call it 'plupp' in Swedish Tongue) on the Lenovo I got from school back in 2008:

The little red circular thingy. It was fun.

But yeah, what's nice about my trackpad is all of the multi-finger gestures and so on. I can rest my hand/fingers on it without doing stuff by accident too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:16:13 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »

I can legitimately say i prefer the trackpad on my macbook pro (which is my main computer, i dont have a desktop anymore) over using a mouse these days. seems easier on the wrists too somehow.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »

I actually kind of enjoyed the mouse... something (I'd call it 'plupp' in Swedish Tongue) on the Lenovo I got from school back in 2008:

The little red circular thingy. It was fun.
The official term is clitoris stick

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »

Could people stop trying to be funny with that (this is not the first time) and actually tell me what they're called? Sad

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »

pointing stick
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »

ive heard it called a "nub"   Shrug
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »

The ones on ThinkPads are called TrackPoints, but in general they're known as pointing sticks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Naming_and_brands

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 12:57:49 AM »

'Nub' is more 'plupp'-like tho. :3

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 02:14:29 AM »

My previous job gave me a Lenovo laptop and loved the trackpoint. It worked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the pad IMO. We used to call it the nipple

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »

Yeah, the pad was tiny and dum.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 02:17:25 AM »

My asus rog g73jh laptop has the worst trackpad ever tho

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »

i have 8 usb 360 controllers. i wish there were better options honestly, they are so goddamn noisy and huge. the cords tangle really easily and develop crinks if not babied. but on the other hand, they can take some serious abuse.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »

use a different controller with a 360 controller emulator?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »

Could people stop trying to be funny with that (this is not the first time) and actually tell me what they're called? Sad

while i'm not really one for skcd, this comic is a good representation:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »

Disclaimer: below is me explaining how I'm confused, not me telling you to stop doing anything, ok?

---

I still cannot fathom this kind of humour. It can't be inherently funny just because it might look a little like something (come on, a circle or a stick or whatever, that's so cheap, you're not even trying) that happens to be slightly similar to something that happens to be somewhat taboo. Does that make it automatically funny?

Jokes need to have an actual point to me, not just happen to refer to something a little childishly forbidden. "This looks a bit like a <taboo body part>". Yeah. I guess. So does almost anything, because you're comparing circles and sticks. Super basic shapes. Good observation. You can recognise shapes. There's nothing to it. It's not funny.

(it's not offensive or anything — I just really cannot understand how this kind of stuff is supposed to be funny)

A joke doesn't have to be clever to be funny, and it can even be sexual or whatever (again, that's not the problem), but there is nothing at all to this. A bad pun, sexual or not, is funny because it still involves a thought process, convoluted or stupid as it might be, but saying that a thing looks like another thing? Saying 'this looks like an eye because it's round' is not funny, but 'this looks like a nipple' is, because nipples are a little bit forbidden? What?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »

fwiw i also think this joke is unfunny as hell

i remember when i last thought calling an analog stick a dildo was funny. i think i was 14.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:31 AM »

To be fair, if you try to explain any joke it's probably not going to be funny anymore once you're done with it.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »

No, that's never a problem to me if the joke actually has any sort of substance to it. Tongue

But I wouldn't even classify this under my definition of joke. It's just... nothing. It's an attempt to elicit laughs by speaking a taboo word, which is apparently supposed to be inherently funny in itself somehow, and not by actually making a joke.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »

No, that's never a problem to me if the joke actually has any sort of substance to it. Tongue

But I wouldn't even classify this under my definition of joke. It's just... nothing. It's an attempt to elicit laughs by speaking a taboo word, which is apparently supposed to be inherently funny in itself somehow, and not by actually making a joke.
You're right. I don't think it's a joke, either. However, something can be comedy without necessarily being a joke - for example, slapstick humor usually does not have a punchline.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic