Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:48:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMidorea: The Valhyr (Demo Available)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Midorea: The Valhyr (Demo Available)  (Read 8468 times)
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »

DOWNLOAD DEMO ON ITCH.IO

Roiqer(roy-ker), the Naquirfan priest.

In-game scene.

Character design - Ksartham and Yaelsun.

Visual development of props and world design.

Geinoras is a city built on the ancient ruins of the original settlements of the region.

The city of Geinoras in the Yonarys (Neutral Zone) region. Mausoarys (Dead Zone) is located to the south.

About

Midorea: The Valhyr is an upcoming adventure game that takes place in the massive fantasy world of Midorea. The story follows Yaelsun as he pieces together events surrounding the disappearance of a Naquirfan priest, Roiqer (pictured, top), and a rare artifact from his ship.

The Valhyr will feature both visual novel and adventure game aspects, including casual flirting and puzzles related to the world’s magic. You’ll be able to explore the city of Geinoras, interacting with characters and objects along the way as you uncover the deeper mysteries of the city.

Tumblr - Facebook - Twitter

After six weeks at sea Yaelsun has finally returned home to Geinoras, the Gated City.

He’s brought with him goods from along the coast, but hidden in the cargo is an even rarer artifact carrying a heavy price, a price almost paid by the Naquirfan priest who delivered it to Yaelsun.

Soon after smuggling the priest and artifact into the city, they both disappear, forcing Yaelsun to delve deeper into the mysteries of the city to find them, uncovering where they’re hiding - and why.

Game Details

Platform: PC, Mac, Linux, Mobile

Demo: April 2017

- The Valhyr is being developed as an Adventure Game/Visual Novel, with puzzle aspects related to the world’s magic.

- There are 12 characters and 10 unique scenes planned that you can interact with and explore.

- Flirting and casual romances will be available but limited.

- There will be multiple paths based on player choice and the ending will reflect these choices.

Contact

Email: admin @ midorea.com
Ask: http://midorea.tumblr.com/ask
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:10:38 PM by Catghost » Logged
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »

Reserved.
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »

Reserved.
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:17 AM »

you can now talk to beautiful squares and give them money.

My current focus is on sketching out the environments for each scene using 3D models, which has been a lot quicker than trying to pin things down with 2d sketches. Later on in development I'll take these 3D environment renders and paint over them, so the final assets will translate pretty accurately into the game, cutting out tedious work trying to fix inconsistencies.

Deciding on a color palette for the game and building a color script from it is next on my list, once the intro scenes are finished. I'm aiming for something pretty cinematic, giving each scene its own identity, while building up the general feel of the game. This is a prequel after all, so the colors need to help to define the mood the story is trying to set.

Later I'll highlight some of the work that's gone into the actual look of the city itself, including environment concepts of buildings and landmarks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:53:33 PM by Catghost » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 10:09:17 AM »

wow, ambitious! art looks fantastic too. good luck!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »

Goldiggin' squares!

The cinematography instantly made think of banner saga. You get an A+++ for the art, for sure. The premise of the story sounds great, too!

Keep up the fantastic work, man!

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »

Surprised to see banner saga mentioned so soon! Their cinematic cutscenes are some of my favorite, by far, and definitely had some influence on our own style.

Thanks both of you for the support!
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »

Not much to report this week - finals for summer semester + preparing for a trip next week hasn't left much time to work on this. But I did finish up building the intro scenes, so I'll be able to casually insert dialogue for the next few days, and hopefully begin polishing things up.

I did however get the chance to work on some character concepts! Here's a few of the concept sheets we put together:

That's all for now.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:22:46 AM »

Really lovely palettes so far.

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »

It's been a while since the last update! I had to take off a few months to finish up my final semester, but we're back to working on the project again.

What is the current plan?

Our plans have definitely changed since this time last year. Originally what we set out to develop was a (very ambitious) RPG - but that is no longer the case, for now, and I’ll explain why that is. We’ve discussed in length how the project should move forward, and we have settled on a more realistic goal: We’re creating a prequel to the originally planned series, which is going to strictly be an Adventure Game that follows one of our main protagonists of the story, Yaelsun Valhyr. (You can read his sample chapter here) We have the story, we have the art, and we have the resources to develop the game, so all that’s left is the time to build it.

Where are we at right now?

We’ve outlined the story and written roughly a third of the dialogue. The intro has been blocked out in Unity, and we have most of the important concepts completed. We’re back on track and steadily making progress.

We’ll have more updates to share soon. Smiley

(Screencap of a team member’s google drive. All of those are docs related to Midorea!)

(More beautiful squares!)

(Twine screenshot!)
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »

Woot! Glad to see this beautiful game is back on and going strong!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »

Great concepts. Smiley

Maybe I'd change the name to avoid any association/cross-over with that Midora debacle. But that's me. Smiley

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »

Thanks! We're definitely restless and ready to push forward with development.

Great concepts. Smiley

Maybe I'd change the name to avoid any association/cross-over with that Midora debacle. But that's me. Smiley
We've had this name since 2008 and have built a decent following around it, so I definitely don't plan on changing. Unfortunate to hear what became of that project though, but thanks for the feedback.
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »

Somewhat informal concept art update:

We've got a bunch of stuff in the pipeline which I'll share in a more formal update soon!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:53:18 PM by Catghost » Logged
de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 05:20:48 AM »

Somewhat informal concept art update:

We've got a bunch of stuff in the pipeline which I'll share in a more formal update soon!

God dammit I like the graphical style and design you guys have chosen. I also really like the idea and how thorough you are. Keep it up guys :D

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »

The sheer amount of story and lore here is amazing; as is the art. Keen to see more of the world and characters as the game develops!

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »

thanks migs Smiley

(big update ahead + IMAGE HEAVY)

I didn't intend on taking such a long break from updating, but here we are, and there's nothing more to do than to accept it and move on. Quite a lot has happened since the last post, but nothing specifically bad or good, just the usual things you'd expect from life. (and life after college)

Our writer has moved across the world, another team member is currently finishing their last year of college, and I'm a post-grad trying to figure out where to go next. I'll keep things short and focus on the game itself, but basically we haven't stopped working on Midorea, we've just been trying a different approach. (which isn't as fun to talk about) Since Midorea will rely more on the story and visuals than the gameplay mechanics, we've chosen to make world building and visual development our priority. Once we reach a point where we're comfortable with the amount of world and story we've built up, we'll move on to finishing the game. We've pretty much arrived at that point now, and once we wrap up a few ends we'll move on to focusing more on development.

but talk is easy, so I'll just share what we've done!

No, the game isn't going to be B/W - I wanted to throw in that last character concept to show that we haven't forgot about colors. Smiley That's everything we have for now but I'll continue to update this devlog as we move forward.

bonus sketch dump:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:53:50 AM by Catghost » Logged
Pixelcomet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 09:25:29 PM »

I really love your choice of colors. It's always satisfying to have some insight on how other's get work done. The type of world you've built seems like something I could definitely get into. I'll be keeping my eyes on this one.

Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »

thanks, i appreciate it!

and funny enough, we've been working a lot on colors this last week:

next on the to-do list is a detailed city map... and then some dev work. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 06:16:17 AM »

Pretty major update this week. We have some in-game footage to share and a few NPC designs. (we did a lot of writing too, but that's harder to show)

Intro mockup and in-game footage teaser. Some assets are placeholder.

We are extremely interested in what exactly our NPCs wear, and when it comes to their designs, we put a lot of effort in conveying story detail and personality through them. The Naquirfan Clergy who live in the city are great examples of this: They are not natives to the area, so their clothing marks them as outsiders. They wear dark reds and purples and blues, even in a city that is known for its heat, covering themselves head to foot in detail-rich outfits that signify their rank in the Naquirfan clergy, but the meaning is foreign to anyone not familiar with their customs.

You may also be wondering: Why are they all men? Very simply, the Naquirfan culture is a matriarchy built on their religious doctrine. Only low ranked religious offices can be achieved by men of Naquirfa, with most forced into missionary work outside of their homeland, usually indefinitely.

And our writing progress from the previous week! There are multiple dialogue options for each response an NPC gives you, and different choices lead to different responses, until we get something that looks like this - a complex web of dialogue chains.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic