Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:05:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeFeedback on the name 'Starmancer'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback on the name 'Starmancer'  (Read 1379 times)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:40:11 PM »

So we've worked on a game under the temporary title 'Space Frontier' for a while now and we're planning to get a devlog going so we started brainstorming some names. One we came up with that sorta clicked from the start was 'Starmancer'.
So I thought, before jumping the gun, I'd at least get some feedback here.

The game is a space station sim with cyberpunk elements.
I'm interested in hearing first thoughts that pop up when you hear 'Starmancer'.  Gentleman

SolarMongoose
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:53:35 AM »

My first thoughts are that it sounds like a video game name. And that's good; I think that's the best you can reasonably hope for as far as general value. If, for example, I'm browsing a list of games on Steam, the only names that stick out to me for any general reason are bad names. Bad names being like... really long names, or extremely generic sounding names that tell me absolutely nothing about the game.

Now that's just considering it's value as a name for a game. Is it a good name for your game?

To me, the name "Starmancer" makes me think of either some kind of sci-fi (or otherwise space-themed) RPG type game, or a Kirby-esque cutesy aesthetic, which makes me think either it's some action/platformy adventure or some kind of puzzle game. I will note, however, my thoughts might be a bit biased. I've recently been following a bunch of indie games that are cutesy-style platformers. Also RPGs are kinda my favorite broad genre. So maybe it's just me.

I do have to ask what's wrong with the name "Space Frontier". The general idea that gives me is... something about colonizing space. Which could be a couple different kinds of game, but it seems to fit (what little we know about) your game. What about "Star Frontier"...?... I dunno.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with "Space Frontier", just that I don't see it and was wondering what you see wrong with it.
Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 09:20:17 AM »

personally, i like the name, although i'm not sure it's the most memorable. there are a ton of games with "star" at the beginning of the title, after all. i'm also not sure where the "mancer" part comes in. it makes it sound like magic is involved, and if your game doesn't have any magic then it's just going to be misleading

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »

Yeah, Space Frontier isn't really wrong, but I keep thinking about the Star Trek intro..
Star Frontier would be pretty cool, but there is already an old pen & paper rpg called that. Otherwise that would have been our First choice.

The aesthetics we have are a mix of Cyberpunk pixel art and RPG sprites, my avatar has portraits taken from the game.
I also like that the name is similar to Neuromancer, which is a nice cyberpunk association to have.

There is no magic, but the player is sort of a cyberpunk demi-god, he's hooked up to the station, his body floating in a tank, matrix style, he's the ruler of the station and controls everything.
So we'd thought Starmancer would be the title given to those who venture into space to colonize the stars.
The -mancer prefix signaling that they're a manipulator of stars. But it's supposed to be more figuratively.
There would be other Starmancers out there as well, which the player might encounter.

I think the emphasis on what a Starmancer is in the game would help sell the name and make it easier to relate to.

SolarMongoose
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »

In that light, I can see how it's pretty fitting. I just think it might be better for a name to help sell the game rather than vice versa. Shrug

What about maybe using "Neuro-" something? Something like............ "Neuronaut"... I dunno. Technically I think that means "someone who explores the brain" or something, but I don't think there are many people semantic-pedantic enough to mind. If it really bothers you how about... "Neuroastronaut"? Or wait... "Neurastronaut"?...

Ok well maybe I'll stop "helping" now.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »

I thought of Shadowrun when reading the name, so if it's cyberpunk it fits well, in my opinion.
charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »

Neuronaut sounds like the off-brand Psychonauts.

Starmancer is kind of cool.
But it makes me think you play as a wizard who controls the power of stars.
Which would be amazing,
But not really what it sounds like you're going for.

So we'd thought Starmancer would be the title given to those who venture into space to colonize the stars.
In this context, it sounds silly.
Like if American Pioneers were called Westmasters or something.
Also I can't tell if you mean that they are colonizing space or actual stars.
Again, that would be amazing if it was stars.
But I think you mean "the stars" as in "star systems".

Maybe just call them "colonists".
But the station could be called Starmancer.
It could use only solar energy to power its systems/weapons.
Then the name would make sense, the people would make sense, and the game could still be called Starmancer.

Plan B is to do what I do and make up a phrase that means nothing but sounds cool.
And name the game that.

Hope this helps,
I wasn't trying to rip on you or anything.
Just trying to help.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »

It's not that everyone becomes a Starmancer, just the player who is in control of the colony.
Along with some demi-god cyberpunk transhuman existential stuff, I think it's pretty close to the same mysterious feel that magic has.

It's not that Neuro-something would be completely wrong, since you control the colony with your brain, but it's a bit close to neuromancer.
I think it's also better to emphasize that you're in space/among the stars.

There is also the option of having an organization called 'Starmancers' that the player is a part of.
Or having the colony called Starmancer as charlie suggested, maybe even some kind of technology, like an FTL gate or a colony ship called Starmancer.
So there are still a lot of options.

All replies have been helpful so far, thanks guys!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:34:17 AM by Seiseki » Logged

ironbelly
Level 0

Ironbelly Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »

I for one like the title Smiley

~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
Ironbelly Studios -
AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
Unity & Unreal Services(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Cod
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »

I assume your intent is to blend "star" with "-mancer" (necromancer, chronomancer, etc.) but when I read it, I instead associate it with the band Starfucker and several Pokemon (Starmie, Charmander, Chansey, Pinsir, I think). Maybe it's because "Star" isn't a Latin or Greek prefix that I don't make the association to casting or William Gibson novels.

All of which is not to say it's bad--easy to spell, has a nice ring, distinctive if not uniquely searchable (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=starmancer). It's fine...but I think you could do better Smiley Maybe experiment with other space-y sounding bits like cosmo-, astro-, "stell-" etc.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »

Yeah, we've thought about astro, cosmo, stella, etc. But none of them clicked as well as Starmancer..

We sorta settled for Starmancer but now I realized it's quite similar to Starrmazer. Ugh.. Lips Sealed
We can either ignore this and hope for the best, or try to come up with something else..

It's so hard to get something that is unique when googling and also sounds good.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »

I think it's a bit closer to Starlancer than Starr Mazer :p

I looked at the results for Starmancer and you're already almost at the top just with this thread. I don't think you'd have any problems going with the Starmancer name.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »

Yeah, for google it's perfect. But phonetically it's bad.. Both Starlancer and Starrmazer are too close.

I really like the name, I even started working on a logo, but we still have to decide whether to stick with the name or switch.
Moth makes a really compelling argument with google. Gentleman

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »

I don't think people will have any problems differentiating the games.

As far as those logos go, I like the top one without the serifs the most. It looks the most tech and sci fi I think.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 01:36:20 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, it's easy to get stuck in a single track.
I think the top one is a bit too plain, which is why I started adding stuff and making it chunkier..
The lowercase makes it way more readable and the letters sticking up (t,r,n) breaks the boxed shape, but also looks a bit messy.

I did a few new variations.
Lowercase is definitely staying, but the serifs and t,r,n sticking up might not.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »

I like the name Starmancer. The only problem I see is the similarity to Starlancer. I don't think Starrmazer is phonetically similar enough to Starmancer to cause confusion.

I don't like the names Space Frontier or Star Frontier. I think they sound generic and boring. The words "Space" and "Frontier" are both very commonly used, especially in game titles (it seems), while combining "Star" and "mancer" evokes light and brilliance in combination with magic. Associating your game's cyberpunk universe with magic through the title is I think really cool.

I think my favorite version of the logo is the one that narrows towards the center (the 5th variation). I think it's a *little* bit easier to read the lower-case versions but maybe I'm just fooling myself. I only noticed that after wondering why you don't have a capital letter version of the narrowing logo.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 07:30:39 AM »

It sounds awkward to me - like you're not really sure what you're doing with the English language. 'Astromancer' would work but 'Starmancer' is weird.
Plus there are ten thousand games that are 'star something'. It's really indistinct.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic