Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411620 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 06:31:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleSouls - Multiplayer Fantasy 3rd Person Shooter for PC/Mac
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: BattleSouls - Multiplayer Fantasy 3rd Person Shooter for PC/Mac  (Read 5679 times)
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »

What is BattleSouls?
BattleSouls is a classbased 3rd Person shooter set in a fantasy universe that you play with and against other people online.

Announcement Trailer
We are now live! http://store.steampowered.com/app/392060

Quick Look at the gameplay

What makes it special?
The class mechanic is new! It works like this:
Before a match starts you will pick out 3 different heroes to bring to the match.
You can only play as one hero at any time, but you can switch between them freely while you are alive (with a small cooldown)
An example is you are running down the map as a healer type and suddenly you face 2 enemies and with the press of a button, you are now a warrior!

Heroes are also special! Here is how they work:
Each hero is very specialized and have 3 skills, 2 of them are active and one is passive.
The heroes passive skill only triggers when you change in to that hero, so change often to make good use of it!
An example: Baruus (wizard) has a fireball on left-mouse and a frostbolt on right-mouse. His passive change effect is a frost AoE that slows and damages enemies. So if people get to close to you, quickly change to Baruus to give yourself a chance to get away.

Gameplay in short
In BattleSouls 2 teams fight against each other to destroy each others 3 soul crystals. In each end of the map each team has a catle ruin, inside this castle ruin the teams crystals will spawn.
There is a point in the middle of the map called the inhibitor, in order for one team to damage the other teams crystals, they must control this point.
The gameplay is designed to be very back and forth, and the pace/speed of the game has been designed with games like TF2 and Q3 in mind.
Right now the game is played 5on5 with free dropping in/out of servers (no waiting around for 10 players to be ready). That being said 5on5 is the number we are testing now, this could be higher in the future.

Why post here on Tig?
We have been approved for Steam and we really want to do some closed beta testing of the game before we move in to early access with it.
The development of the game is far along, but there is still room for lots of changes and additions! Everything from skills to gamemodes to specific mechanics are fair game for change if we feel it will make the game better.
This is where you come in
We are looking for people who would like to help us test the game and give us feedback on it, both general stability stuff but also suggestions for adding/removing/changing stuff.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kwqghqj_2jI5I1M_KUzWVrNIVSqG_YdLx-L_vrfvF-Q/viewform?usp=send_form

So what does it look like?
Well, even though we have made good headway on the game and a lot of the graphics has been produced, it has not all been completely integrated in the game yet, but I want to show you some it here:
This here is Cornelia, a healing type character, this is the ingame model:

For full res go here: http://www.pixeleap.com/blogs/Cornelia_texture_show.jpg

We also made a concept to try and show how the action in the game will play out:

On this one, Cornelia is the actual ingame model, the rest is paint over
For full res go here: http://www.pixeleap.com/blogs/CorneliaAttacks.jpg

A last concept:

For full res go here: http://www.pixeleap.com/blogs/promo_small.jpg

We would like to talk to you!  Smiley
So this was my brief introduction of our game that we have been working on for about a year now, we are a small team of 3,5 guys and a bunch of cool freelancers.
We have a playable of the game and we are almost done integrating the first batch of graphics so we have the first map and the first 3 heroes all ready to go.

Btw my name is Peter and our company is called Pixeleap  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:13:00 AM by PeterPixeleap » Logged
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:47:04 AM »

Time for just a quick update Smiley

We are working hard on polishing the last parts of the build these days before we leave for Gamescom in Germany on tuesday.

If any of you guys or girls will be attending Gamescom let us know, we would love to show you the game and hear what you think about it!

Getting the build ready also includes making it prettier, here is some of the UI we are implementing at the moment:

Until next time
Peter
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »

A quick little update here a few hours before we leave for Gamescom.

If you want to meet us and see the game you can reach out on twitter via @peterpixeleap and we should be able to set something up! Smiley

We polished the build a little further today and got some more graphics in and got light and shadows working. The performance on low end computers is still not where we want it to be, but we will keep working on that!

Remember if you want to help us test the game in the closed beta let us know and we will sign you up for it

Peter

Here is an early concept for Cornelia before she was made in to 3D and textured
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »

Here we are back from Gamescom and back at making the game ready for closed beta, hopefully next week!

We are updating a lot of the environment textures at the moment and trying to make online match making work automatically so you can find the best server fast.

One of the textures we are updating is the tree texture and here is a picture of what it looks like so far, almost finished:

-Peter
anissen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:51:56 AM »

Looking very nice! I'm really enjoying the art style - bright, vibrant and happy without getting cartoony.

I can't wait to see some in-game screenshots and maybe some gameplay. Would also appreciate a few blog posts of a more technical aspects Smiley
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

Thanks for the comments! Hope to get some beta screens up when we get it going (hopefully next week!)

About the more technical content, I am not sure if it will be for this devlog, but we might stream some coding when we get around to doing the bots for the game or maybe the map editor.

Peter
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:58:47 AM »

I will be live streaming gameplay and some mapmaking right now and for a few hours, come say hi on the stream! Smiley

www.twitch.tv/pixeleap

Edit: now you can see it on Youtube instead Smiley https://www.youtube.com/user/pixeleapstudios
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:44:41 AM by PeterPixeleap » Logged
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:44 AM »

We did a Quick Look video for a 7 min overview of the gameplay, you can check it out here:

PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »

I did a video explaining the unique Hero Loadout mechanic that powers the class change mechanic, you can see it here:

PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »

Hi Guys!
So a million things have happened since I first posted in here, and I have recently made a new video, that you can also see on our new website.

Graphics and gameplay have both recieved big overhauls and the closed alpha is almost up to a 1000 testers now.

You can see the new video here:

And our relaunched website here:
http://www.battlesouls.com

If you are interested in joining the closed alpha, you can sign up here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kwqghqj_2jI5I1M_KUzWVrNIVSqG_YdLx-L_vrfvF-Q/viewform?usp=send_form

Cheers!
Peter
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:05 AM »

We are currently playtesting a new character for BattleSouls

full res here: http://pixeleap.com/blogs/ShadowMage_show.jpg
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »

Very cool!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »

Thanks MereMonkey ! Smiley

Did you sign up for a key? We started sending out about 1k keys a week now

Peter
Khelthos
Level 0

Khelthos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »

Not bad at all, this could become a very popular eports game Wink

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 12:36:13 PM »

Did you sign up for a key?

I haven't, but I will now!  Hand Any Key

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 04:30:41 AM »

Not bad at all, this could become a very popular eports game Wink

Thanks Khelthos! We really hope so too! Smiley First we need to make it a popular game, then a popular eSports game Smiley
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:21 AM »

Did you sign up for a key?

I haven't, but I will now!  Hand Any Key

Sweet! Sending out keys regularly these weeks, so there should be a good chance to get in Smiley

Peter
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:33 AM »

Hi guys,

Today is playtest day, so if you have an Alpha key, you should come and play tonight! (Tuesday at 20:00 CET)

Peter
PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »

Was great fun playtesting today, Thanks to all who showed up!

Here is a picture of me looking out over the Battlefiles Smiley

PeterPixeleap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »

Based on player feedback we have recently made a decision to overhaul the graphics in BattleSouls.

One thing is to make it look better, but we also really need the art to communicate the gameplay better!

I wrote a long post about it over on IndieDB with some pictures of the progress as well,you can read it here:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/battlesouls/news/overhauling-graphics-in-battlesouls

Peter
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic