Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:21:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit Competition[FINISHED] Grav defender
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Grav defender  (Read 8928 times)
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »

This is going to be mini-entry.
Year 4242. Earth is not the same we know by this days: planet surface is spoiled and humanity  in hi-tech cities above the clouds. The surface under the clouds is inhabited with evil robots. You are simple guy that operates gravity machine to protect your flying city from meteors and other hazardous stuff. But in one of the days enemy ship suddenly occured in vicinity of your area. Of course, the first thing it started to do is to shoot at civilian objects with missiles and stuff. Now its your turn Smiley

This will be 2d entry featuring some sort of puzzle-physics action from the cockpit (control panel) of this gravity machine.

Stay tuned! Smiley

--------
UPD: playable version, 4 levels
http://files2.gamerotor.com/misc/gravdefender.zip
Please comment! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:51:11 AM by IPv6 » Logged
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »

Work in progress:
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:19:33 AM »

Updated with playable version
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »

:O

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »

Is it just me or does the cockpit seem more like just a HUD?  Shrug
May be :D But good cockpit should be a HUD too? my point: there is nothing else except "control point" of gravity machine in question, even game field is draw inside its monitor... so this is cockpit - a place where you sit face-to-face with some kind of device and do the stuff. May be by "painting skills" (i don`t have any Cry ) are not high enough for depicting such idea

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »

Fun! Good polish. The gravity mechanic feels very natural, and is a nice twist on the tower defense game.

The first level feels far too long and slow compared to the others. In general, it might help player motivation to know how long each level lasts.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:14:09 AM »

Ah, gravity based physics is a bit of a weakness for me. Still, this one isn't as cockpitty than some of the others. Good game in and of itself, tho.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:21:27 AM »

Thanks for replies!

P.S. I will strive to fit better into next competition`s mood and feel
ortoslon
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »

You could use the core mechanic to create a fast-paced score-based arcade game. Here's how: remove the flying cities, fill the screen with enemies with increasing pace. Player gets score for killing enemies with their bullets. The game ends when there are too many enemies on screen. Give the enemies random shooting, but basic dodging AI. To make the controls more responsive, let the gravity field dissolve with the release of mouse button, so there could be only one field at any time. Also, make the fields invisible. I would play the hell out of this game.

That being said, the current version is nice.
IPv6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »

Thanks, nice idea!!! Really. I will give a try next time!
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »

really polished, I've been coming back to it for a quick fix for a few days  Gentleman

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:33 AM »

I really like the gameplay in this, nice work Gentleman. I just spent a long time struggling against level 4; it felt pretty epic. I agree that it would be good if the game gave you some sense that you are getting close to the end of a level. Some other small complaints are that the sprites feel a bit mismatched in style and scale, and I think the power meter is hidden a little too far away from where the player's attention will be. But overall, great game. Kudos for the way it pauses when the window loses focus.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic