Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:25:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs it worth the trouble to create a one man company?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is it worth the trouble to create a one man company?  (Read 904 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:09:44 AM »

So, I've contacted a local service that focuses on helping people startup their businesses. They've given me a lot of homework on market studies, business plans and whatnot. I just want to know if all that is really worth the trouble to go through, since all I really want is a name to publish my games under. Of course, I know that if I do all the research they're asking me to do I'll inevitable learn something useful, but is that necessary right now? And if it is, I have a few questions that follow.

I mainly need to do research on market analysis and financial needs, and I'd like to learn about the paperwork involved in freelance work (both on the giving and receiving end, just to be sure) as well as how to register a name as a trademark. Oh and I need to know how copyrights work with games. How would I go about collecting/acquiring/asking about this information? I don't have many connections and I'm not too familiar with the kind of research I'm trying to do, so any answers are welcomed.

I guess I should also mention that I intend to work on my games mostly by myself, except for the occasional colab with a musician for music or something, as I'm not very good with that.

ironbelly
Level 0

Ironbelly Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »

Google it.

No, seriously. There isn't much to do, and if you're in the US it varies by state as to what exactly you have to do but it boils down to this:

You just need to get a business license. Contact your bank, they'll be able to give you the paperwork and depending on the state, may require you to have a business checking account.

The rest, as far as paperwork, is just google it. Your business license will come with a name... and you don't really need a trademark yet. I mean, if it comes to that, go for it. Google again, it isnt expensive or difficult.

The whole formal business plan or some kind of market study is only useful if you're planning on getting loans (which, btw, in software is basically never going to happen regardless of if you'd want it to).

That's all there is to it!

~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
Ironbelly Studios -
AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
Unity & Unreal Services(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Cod
kimcheecat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »

Adding to what ironbelly said and if you live in the US, it's worthwhile to google "FBN" or "DBA" + your state and look at the .gov sites. Each state does things a little differently.

Additionally, if you're thinking of registering as a sole proprietor vs. LLC then I'd suggest looking up the tax implications for each one as one over the other could have significant impact on your taxes each year.

We didn't work with any third party, we just googled everything and I think we're all set to go. I hope your experience is as simple! Smiley

Nefer
Writer & Community
ndxpgames.com
ElstonGunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »

No.

Firstly, starting a business is likely to be much easier than you think it is, and all the steps can be done in one day. You could actually get it all done in 2-3 hours. It's that easy.

But even then, it means pretty much nothing unless you're already making some significant money. You could be making $1K/month and nobody would pay any attention to you.

If there are real reasons why you need a licensed business, then do it. I once couldn't get a code-signing certificate, which i really needed, without a business license. So i got one.

"Market research" has nothing to do with starting a business. It has to do with actually making money, which is actually 100% of the job. Ignore the paperwork until it's necessary.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic