Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:26:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsProgrammer needed Real-Time, Choose your Own Adventure, Tamagotchi-like Puzzzler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer needed Real-Time, Choose your Own Adventure, Tamagotchi-like Puzzzler  (Read 734 times)
matwek
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »

Just a quick introduction as to who I am. I’m a Pixel Artist and game Designer who has worked freelance in the indie scene for a few years now.

Some of the more notable games I’ve worked on in the past are…

Both of which are heading and have been to various game shows around the world backed by Nintendo.

It’s kind of hard to describe the game I want to make but I’ll do my best to explain. It’s not overly complex (in fact I would love to keep it as simple as possible), I just can’t think of many other games to compare it to.

The best way I could describe it is as a Real-Time, Choose your Own Adventure, Tamagotchi -like Puzzler.
There are three main parts to the game. Conversations, Puzzles & Events

--- Conversations ---
The player starts the game by receiving a message from a character and after a series of options a conversation is experienced.
It would be standard Choose Your Own Adventure style options, some choices lead to minor deviations in the conversation where as some could lead to various story changing events.

The twist is that these messages happen in real time from the moment you start the game.
For example if you fail to answer a question in a set time from when it was asked then you may send the conversation down a different path.
Also, once a conversation is over, that’s it until the messenger sends another message.

Ideally I would like the game to take place over the course of the week, with each ‘real time day’ sort of representing a ‘Level’. The action you make in day 1 effects what happens in day 2, and so on.
The idea is that you get a sort of Tamagotchi-style vibe to the gameplay once you start. Tasks set by the messenger must be performed in a timely manner or else you change the course of the story.

This may start off easy, with the player having plenty of time to respond. As the week progresses though things become more difficult and you may start to receive urgent messages late at night.

--- Puzzles ---
At the start of each day the messenger will set the player a puzzle to beat. Whilst in game these will take place as Hacking style mini games, the idea being that the better you perform the more information you ‘Hack’ from the target.
Each day the game is different and over the course of the day they get harder, but the harder the game gets the more information you gain from each ‘Hack’

The idea is to make sure you reach the ‘Hacked’ information quota for each day.
This is done either by starting early when the game is easy and putting a fair amount of time in, or by waiting till later in the day when each ‘Hack’ provides more information, but risk having the puzzles be too hard to solve.

--- Events ---
This is the accumulation of both previous tasks. Depending on how you responded to conversations and how well you performed on the daily task, this leads to certain Events being triggered throughout the week.
These can range from receiving messages from outside sources (possibly rivals) to having to perform one off complex tasks & puzzles.

These Events are the end goal of the game and often lead to the major jumps in the games story.

Whilst the game has interactive elements, at its heart its main aim is to hopefully tell an interesting story.
If people are interested in hearing more about that then I would be happy to share the information. I just didn’t want to overload this opening post.

--- The kind of programmer I’m looking for ---
Whilst I would love to keep this project as simple as possible, I’m also aware that there are some complex issues that would have to be solved. This in turn means I would hopefully be looking for a more experienced Mobile programmer with at least a few games under their belt.
This isn’t my first project so I would prefer to team up with someone in a similar position.

The game isn’t designed to be a massive commercial success; instead I wanted to design something quirky and unique but I would not be opposed to trying to make some money.
Whilst I have worked on games for sale and profit share in the past I must admit that I have very little experience on that side of development. I would be more than happy to sell the game, but in order to do that I would ideally like to team up with someone who has sold projects in the past.

I would handle all the art for the game and would do the bulk of the game design but I would be happy for other team members to pitch in where they felt the game needed work. I like to think I’m flexible to work with and I would rather work with someone who had a stake in the game then someone just going through the motions for a portfolio piece/profit.

Talking of art. I think I’ll have to save that for another post (this one has already got way to long).
What I was thinking though is a 80’s inspired future, think a cross between Matrix style green text & symbols and Alien Isolations Retro take on computers… but with maybe a bit more colour.

Whilst a lot of the game will be told via text, imagine that taking place with plenty of bloops and blips combined with flashing symbols and scrolling icons.

Anyway, thats probably enough for now. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if interested. I have plenty more ideas and concepts to talk about. It would be great to discuss what can and can't be realistically done.

Thanks for reading this far...

RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:42:29 AM »

Super interesting idea. Emailed.

bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »

Nice to see you around Mat, would love to do another game with you after all these years!

iOS & Android developer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic