Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:37:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEnding Piracy for Good
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Ending Piracy for Good  (Read 4330 times)
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »

Just make it so shit isn't worth pirating.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 03:54:22 AM »

Just make it so shit isn't worth pirating.
That's the AAA aproach right now brah.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »

I just bought shadows of mordor, it was something like 43gigabytes to download, this makes it difficult for Australians to pirate (or purchase legitimately) since our countries internet is only one step above dial-up

I bought it in the morning, it didn't finish downloading till there was no time left in the day to play it. better luck next weekend

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 08:01:28 AM »

do u think devs/publishers deliberately bloat filesize so their games are more of a hassle to pirate? because i can think of a few recent releases where the filesize didn't really match up with the amount of content and graphical fidelity the game had. the most glaring one i can think of is the HD remaster of the resident evil gamecube remake. that one is like 18gig.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »

43Gb for a game? What the hell? Are devs crazy?

Yeah.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »

Yes, every single one of them.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »

I just bought shadows of mordor, it was something like 43gigabytes to download, this makes it difficult for Australians to pirate (or purchase legitimately) since our countries internet is only one step above dial-up

I bought it in the morning, it didn't finish downloading till there was no time left in the day to play it. better luck next weekend

ironically, countries where piracy is a bigger thing than in australia (I'm thinking eastern europe here), have way better internet than australia. so bloating filesizes don't really accomplish much for this purpose ^^
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »

huh? if they have better internet and pirate more, wouldnt that prove the theory correct? or do you mean WORSE internet lol
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »

Not sure if I understand the logic in bloat to prevent pirating. Downloading via torrent usually maxes out my Internet speed, while Steam gives me something like 4 MB/s a lot of the time. So pirating a huge game would be many times faster if download size was the primary issue.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »

yeah torrents are lightning fast, but in capitalist paradise america ISPs are owned by media companies and will often throttle torrent traffic to make it crawl

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »

huh? if they have better internet and pirate more, wouldnt that prove the theory correct? or do you mean WORSE internet lol

yes, the correlation between accessible fast internet and piracy rates definitely seems to be there, but it also makes bloating as an anti-piracy tactic worthless, because, where piracy dominates, it'll be ineffective anyway, thanks to the fast internet.  Shrug
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 01:14:58 PM »

last time i torrented something was like 5+ years ago so i wouldn't know. steam DLs are super fast for me however.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 03:25:51 AM »

Yes, every single one of them.

focus on making a game so light that people on torrent would think it's not the game but just a virus.
adehm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »

I believe strong platforms such as Steam, making it so easy and cheap to get games, combats a good portion of piracy. Many times people will purchase a game if they like it to easily receive content updates. I don't feel it's something to be concerned about anymore if it ever really was.

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 04:36:30 AM »

Torrent your game before anyone else can from three different accounts and put a virus in two of them. Then on the clean one put a shitload of comments saying it's filled with viruses and to use another dl. Boom! End of piracy! Who, Me?

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »

Torrent your game before anyone else can from three different accounts and put a virus in two of them. Then on the clean one put a shitload of comments saying it's filled with viruses and to use another dl. Boom! End of piracy! Who, Me?

That would actually be pretty brilliant. I've wanted to make a thing where if you download a game illegally, the game would silently let you play but would crash before letting you fight the final boss, effectively becoming the most frustrating game to pirate ever.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »

earthbound did that
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »

earthbound did that
wat

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »

earthbound's piracy protection also makes the game a million times more annoying with constant random battles and OP enemies
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »

http://www.dorkly.com/post/70736/8-surprising-ways-video-games-are-fighting-piracy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic