Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:34:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEnding Piracy for Good
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Ending Piracy for Good  (Read 4260 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:48 AM »

i never test games before i buy them lol. at this point it's just a waste of time for me. i usually know if i'll like a game after 10 mins of youtube gameplay footage and maybe reading a wikipedia article about it.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:29 AM »

Cradle has no sound and chains of satinav goes to 3 fps for no reason on my pc
youtubers with their intel gifted rigs wont tell you that
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2015, 04:43:13 AM »

no but steam reviews tell me that (the only thing theyre good for)

also i don't watch stuff from "famous" youtubers for exactly that reason
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2015, 05:24:30 AM »

i never test games before i buy them lol. at this point it's just a waste of time for me. i usually know if i'll like a game after 10 mins of youtube gameplay footage and maybe reading a wikipedia article about it.

Virtually unrestricted gameplay footage on youtube is an advantage games have over everything else, so that basically fills in my "try before buy". I remember the days of demo discs though, and had some serious fun with those between friends. You never knew what you were going to get, which is the real charm. I got to try out Medieval, Tomba, Armored Core, Intelligent Cube, Tomb Raider, Ico, some Star Wars fighter, some cop mech game, etc. Nowadays most console titles have downloadable demos which would be pretty sizable in a bundle.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »

demo discs were useful for playing gams my mom didn't allow me to play. she was v strict about this stuff, but demo discs were outside of her control

i don't even remember when i last played a demo tho
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »

"try before you buy" (have personally never seen anyone do this). i guess my rants on tig prompted some people to give me some justifications i can accept as legit, so thanks for that.

I did this for half of my old steam catalog. Half life, dawn of war, dark souls 1, starcraft 1, diablo, torchlight, etc etc etc.

Admittedly, nowadays steam is evcen more convenient than pirating, so i dont bother much anymore. Im considering it doing it again because of what others have mentioned - I have had blur, sants row 2 and 3, ruse, and many other simply not fucking run on my rig, and now they clutter my already huge steam catalog.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 08:10:20 AM »

no but steam reviews tell me that (the only thing theyre good for)

also i don't watch stuff from "famous" youtubers for exactly that reason

well that's objective review for you Well, hello there!

JK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »

Yea, YouTube is definitely a good pseudo try-before-you-buy source (when you watch random youtubers). Funnily enough, I typically watch let's play videos for games that I cannot afford/otherwise couldn't play/don't have the time to play. Eg. PS4 games, because I do not own a PS4. Or MMOs
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »

I'm very much a try-before-buyer, particularly with music. I used to buy a shit ton of music when Napster and especially Audiogalaxy were around, now I find it way harder to discover stuff that I like.

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »

DEVIL's third don't look as bad as said in review

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic