Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:53:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBe careful with your books
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Be careful with your books  (Read 1368 times)
Pfotegeist
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:59:49 AM »

I will begin with a joke. There are no new complaints, only new complainers.

We're only concerned about the newest, greatest thing; it's in our face, we suddenly have an issue to deal with. Occasionally there's an unmistakeable error in doing so, and it's a lesson in history, I now present you a very short and unambiguous case.

I finished reading Don Quixote. The humor about how stupid smart people behave when educated about Knight Errantry presented how books in the hands of children are a threat to their mental health.  They probably didn't have anything fun to do but read books for hours and hours, anyway.

Be careful with your [fun] books.  Try to handle them sensibly, differentiate a lesson from a farce.  A fool would lop off ones foot out of fear of toes.

Ok. For discussions sake, is it worth blaming the artist, the medium, the misled, or the fool?  When I thought about it, I find that everyone uses the medium, so to blame it is to play a fool.  An artist may mislead, but also be misled.  Someone blames another that is misled for misleading, they could be an artist or a fool.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:33:42 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »

what.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:53 AM »

what.

Yes
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 06:40:09 AM »

Don't blame, educate and communicate. Do something about your own foolishness. A fool who realizes he is a fool is not so much a fool anymore.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:08 PM »

in response ^

Consider a contrary, in response to every don'ter you have a doer. Our own games and society at large encourage contrary thoughts and feelings to a suggestion in order to weigh which action is more to the individual's tastes.

There is an easy rebuttal to every don't. If you were to define a new action, it takes longer to establish a perfect contrary.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »

I think we failed to establish the fact that we are talking about human biases. We should name and define them as we go so as to not forget them in future conversations.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:47:47 AM »

(Mount Stupid according to SMBC)

Also, the graph does not show it, but there is always a bigger mountain ahead.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:34:06 AM »

that graph must mean something
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:39:16 AM »

Theory: maybe it means that the sudden boost of confidence gained from learning something is enough for people to make ridiculous claims that even they don't fully understand. Also, notice how I didn't make a claim based on something I just learned and instead clearly proposed a theory. Smiley

Pfotegeist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »

It's a really BIG graph. It's some kind of statistic. I just can't ehhh-well ok it looks familiar somehow, I am enthralled. I especially like the red highlighted region with the name.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »

It looks like the uncanny valley, except this time we highlight the early high instead of the early low.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:56 AM »

My personal favorite way of describing this phenomenon is the Dunning-Kruger Effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Pfotegeist
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »

The invisible ink thing seems legit, but:
Dunning and Kruger set out to test these hypotheses on Cornell undergraduates in psychology courses.

Most common statistic problem is voluntary response bias.
http://stattrek.com/statistics/dictionary.aspx?definition=voluntary_response_bias

The expert solution:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_random_sample

I'll acknowledge the page describes a lot of the D.K. effect in uncertain terms. Like, maybe in reality they just acted cool, instead of flipping out in rage from their bad test scores.

e.g. the observations made were subjective, and the subject lied.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:40 AM »

Here's a Dunning and Kruger spinoff. It's hard to compliment without being aware of the effort and details required for certain accomplishments. It's easy to insult without knowing a thing.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

Here's a Dunning and Kruger spinoff. It's hard to compliment without being aware of the effort and details required for certain accomplishments. It's easy to insult without knowing a thing.

Insightful

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »

I will begin with a joke. There are no new complaints, only new complainers.

We're only concerned about the newest, greatest thing; it's in our face, we suddenly have an issue to deal with. Occasionally there's an unmistakeable error in doing so, and it's a lesson in history, I now present you a very short and unambiguous case.

I finished reading Don Quixote. The humor about how stupid smart people behave when educated about Knight Errantry presented how books in the hands of children are a threat to their mental health.  They probably didn't have anything fun to do but read books for hours and hours, anyway.

Be careful with your [fun] books.  Try to handle them sensibly, differentiate a lesson from a farce.  A fool would lop off ones foot out of fear of toes.

Ok. For discussions sake, is it worth blaming the artist, the medium, the misled, or the fool?  When I thought about it, I find that everyone uses the medium, so to blame it is to play a fool.  An artist may mislead, but also be misled.  Someone blames another that is misled for misleading, they could be an artist or a fool.

two questions:

-are you implying that Don Quixote is about books being dangerous for anyone's mental health?
-are you serious?

(Don Quixote is a critique to chivalry and adhering to the norms, today it would be about political correctness probably)

Pfotegeist
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »

^ I can only lol right now, I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 03:56:03 AM »

If you interpret parts of the book literally and parts of it figuratively you'll see we're both right. You probably can't use that word, seriously, it's become a crutch word in today's youth.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 04:00:15 AM »

When we get used to seeing things, we start recognizing them as mundane, widely accepted, and absolutely every day necessary things that must be had for health and acceptance. Advertisement power!

This brought to you after I saw a little reminder about the placebo effect.

Although mostly what I thought of is how books are pretty potent for captivating an audience.  Must more effective than billboards and popups.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:33 AM »

Wait tomatoes aren't a fruit?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic