Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:40:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionSalvage [FINISHED v1.1]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Salvage [FINISHED v1.1]  (Read 27397 times)
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 03:31:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to put that image in as an easter egg to find.  :D

Just a small update. The engine is progressing smoothly. Projectiles, Interactive enemies, Destructible walls, etc. I've uploaded a new video of the progress. Still a randomly generated level until I get the map editor working, but here you go...

My car died this weekend so my stress level has increased exponentially. I'm still on track for finishing the entry, but it might be quite as feature rich as I had originally hoped.

As posted in the collaboration thread I am in search of someone to help me with the sound as I have no idea how to add music/sound to enhance a game. Smiley

ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 05:15:15 AM »

Looks pretty cool, I like the look. My first idea was something similar to this, except the mech was 50 times bigger and destroying tanks instead Smiley
Fuzz
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »

It's looking pretty nice. Maybe you could ask in specific what you need for music/sound? Eg. what sound effects you'll need, and what you want the music to feel like.
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 08:28:25 AM »

This looks very cool. Hope to see it finished!

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

This looks very cool. Hope to see it finished!

It's very, very close to being finish. Here's an unfinished demo to show how it plays.

Link to Download! (sorry ... image was broken  Tongue)

Conrols:
WASD - Movement
QE - Strife Left/Right
Left CTRL - Light Torch (your only weapon)
Space - Open Doors (the big blue boxes)

Only 5 levels so far and no sound yet (still working on that) but I hope everything looks good. You might need the XNA Redistributable 3.0 and PS1.1 is required and PS2.0 is required for bloom effect.

I'm going to be releasing the campaign editor with the game itself so people can build their own levels. Smiley

Comments are welcome!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:10:46 AM by Pixelfish » Logged

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »

Errr, is it me or there's no link to download the demo ? Smiley

Anyway, the video looks cool so far.  Very 'Gloom-ish' atmosphere (some old wolf like on amiga with a minimalistic 3D engine) :

Gosh, I need to code a scanner like this on my own compo !
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:48:35 PM by astrofra » Logged

Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 07:11:38 AM »

Woops! Fixed! Pays to pay attention to where I'm uploading I guess.  Durr...?

Fuzz
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »

The level editor download link is broken.
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »

Curses! That'll teach me to trust a hosting service I've never used before. I switched the primary game download to mediafire here and as soon as I get off from work I'll re-upload the campaign editor. Sorry!  Embarrassed

Fixed!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:40:19 PM by Pixelfish » Logged

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »

If you're going to make XNA required please include it in the download. I thought I had XNA, I guess I don't, and I can't be arsed to download it separately to try this game out. I know, my loss.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 06:18:41 AM »

If you're going to make XNA required please include it in the download. I thought I had XNA, I guess I don't, and I can't be arsed to download it separately to try this game out. I know, my loss.

That's a good idea, Cymon. I've updated the main thread to include the download with the XNA Framework runtime installer here. Sorry it took so long and I hope my tardyness didn't ruin anybody's taste for the game.  Gentleman

hugomj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 06:41:26 AM »

Quick Questions, Im working on a Raycast engine and porting wolf3d as a test concept my source code can be found on http://wolf3dx.codeplex.com, well seems ur game makes use of a third party physics engine (Farseer) Why ?? u can simply handle physics using LOOPS or DDA computations and will be faster and easier, is there any special reason for doing that?,

second question, how efficient is your engine seems ur levels are quite simplistic I mean tiny levels, have u stress tested ur engine?,

third question how about ur AI r u using some sort of state machines to handle actor behaviors or its just hardcoded??

finally is ur level splitted into visible regions /areas to draw only the portion of the level in which the player is located, or r u drawing always the whole level?

I really appreciate ur answers or thoughts about this.
Hugo.

Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »

Hello hugomj! Well before answering your questions I just wanted to say that since this was a competition entry everything was a bit rushed so bear with my logic.

The reason to integrate the Farseer physics engine was basically two fold: time savings and educational. I just wanted fast, reliable physics for not only the level but also for projectiles and actors. Also I wanted to learn more about the Farseer physics engine for possibly integrating into future games.

The enemy AI were straight forward state machines.

As you are probably aware by now, raycasting in its nature is efficient. I have limited the level size to 64x64 to simplify level editing. The original tests were 512x512 but designing the editor was a pain and it was SO easy to get HORRIBLY lost. Since the engine only draws the calculated 800 rays you see in front of you (one for each pixel) it never had a hiccup from level size. The level sizes could technically be much bigger since they're simply 2D byte arrays.

I hope this answers your questions but feel free to let me know if you need to know more!  Grin

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic