Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:07:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 936344 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »

@willy Nice! I'm really digging that psuedo-retro look I've seen people modelling nowadays.

Also, here's the closest I've ever gotten to a complete, (relatively) professional looking 3d model. I haven't done the bones yet, and it helps that I did my most simple character first, but that's besides the point.

img

Yeah, he's pretty lo-poly, but that's because its a model designed for an android app. I just hope its lo-poly ENOUGH.

Looks like just the basic blender cube with legs and an eye.

...still better than anything I can do, so good work.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »

Looks like just the basic blender cube with legs and an eye.

...still better than anything I can do, so good work.

Thanks for the compliment. The cube is rounded more than the pic shows (something hard to show off at that angle), but you are correct in saying its an edit of the basic cube. I've done some more complex models on my old netbook computer, but none of them have any bones. I picked the simplest and most stylized of my characters (the red alien in my avatar) mainly to practice things like texturing and rigging I never got down. I did however, get a chunk of the bones done since the last post, so soon I guess I can experiment with animations...
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1982 on: December 07, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »

Quarry you got me all Super FX

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: December 07, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »

You can do things for grassbox if you wish, tools and such
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1984 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »

I don't plan on giving him skinnier pants, but your paintover will be useful reference for the characters that do. Thank'eh, Peanutbutter.

Eyes like so?

Also:

Mcmutton your 3d is so adorbz. I love the way you model faces with large eyes. Do you have wireframe snapshots of your characters? 

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1985 on: December 07, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »

@Quarry @Delko
I'm loving the low-poly, vertex colored stuff. Keep it coming!

Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1986 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

ok

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 07, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »

Hawt
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1988 on: December 07, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »

I have been slaving away on this bad boy. Sitting around 4.5million polys right now I think, which might be a lot... I'm not sure... Now that it's getting close to done, I am finding it harder and harder to add the small details. Mostly because I've never tried something as ambitious as this.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: December 08, 2012, 05:30:47 AM »

Looks as a 3D printed figure Smiley
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1990 on: December 08, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

threesided, have you tried doing an AO pass then compositing the renders? It might make that panel lining pop some more.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #1991 on: December 08, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »

I like how that's colored delko

still working on this probably my first serious 3d attempt,
it looks alright I think
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: December 08, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

I like how that's colored delko

still working on this probably my first serious 3d attempt,
it looks alright I think
Looks nice so far! Still looks polygonal, but I'm assuming that's because you haven't applied shaders yet...
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1993 on: December 08, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »

Yeah, he's pretty lo-poly, but that's because its a model designed for an android app. I just hope its lo-poly ENOUGH.

Depending how many you intend to have on screen android/iphone can push a lot more poly's than you might think, even animated.  Something I am working on has a ~1400 triangle animated character with blended bone weights and animations all running with a toon shader and it runs 60 fps on even an old droid 2 no problem (plus other toon shaded static scenery objects).
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: December 08, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »

Well that's a relief. I was planning on making the first full 3-d game, as in not one of those infinite runners for Android (at least the first that I've seen). I'm talking full on N64 collect-a-thon styled gameplay, so I was a bit worried about how much leeway I'd have. Most of the graphics would either be sprites for collectable objects or the enemies which are pretty blocky anyways, so I'm not worrying about them (the extremely over the top bosses I'm planning do though...). I was aiming for DS level graphics, but nice to see Android can handle more than that. Just how much can the Android handle (aiming to bring this to as many devices as possible)?
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1995 on: December 08, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »

threesided, have you tried doing an AO pass then compositing the renders? It might make that panel lining pop some more.

Yeah I don't really know much about using AO, I've never done it before. I constantly have issues with my lighting washing everything out, as it has here.
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1996 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »

I have the same problem, what are you using to render?

xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1997 on: December 10, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »

Yeah I don't really know much about using AO, I've never done it before. I constantly have issues with my lighting washing everything out, as it has here.

Do you have a style in mind?

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1998 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »

I have been slaving away on this bad boy. Sitting around 4.5million polys right now I think, which might be a lot... I'm not sure... Now that it's getting close to done, I am finding it harder and harder to add the small details. Mostly because I've never tried something as ambitious as this.

cool! i remember when this was just a sketch!

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 10, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »

snip

I think a good direction to take it in would be to ask yourself what other components would need to be added to the armor to make it a better functioning design if you were the engineer actually designing it.

I noticed that there's a lot of uncovered area on your model to theoretically allow it a better range of motion. Maybe you could add more padding parts of these areas that are more likely to sustain fire?

Also is this a powered armor suit? Does the wearer bear the heft of the weight or are there components and hydraulics in the armor that help it support itself?

What about sensory equipment? I know if I was designing expensive suits of armor, I would include a built in headlight, cameras, temperature, and pressure instruments. Of course all that would require a power source as well.

Does the armor only provide protection, or does it serve a utility purpose and have attachments for grenades, claymores, ammo clips, deployable weaponry/shields?

Just a few ideas for more detail/realism.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic