Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:39:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 936201 times)
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

Awesome!  I'm loving this thread.  Kiss

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

The lighting is all wrong... you probably used a point light, when you should've used a spherical volume light.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

The lighting is all wrong... you probably used a point light, when you should've used a spherical volume light.

I used a "PointLight3D". Haven't ever used Papervision3D before.

Squiggly_P
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 04:03:14 AM »

I'd color it, but I'm still trying to get better at shading so I can work faster.  I'll color when I've got more of them done.  This is for a fantasy/sci-fi Tactical RPG.  I've got like 30 or so to make.  I can do the models at a decent rate, but texturing takes me forever.  This one took three days...  about half a day for the model and a couple days worth of fighting with the texture...
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 04:46:59 AM »

That's fantastic!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
thaaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »

Indeed! That's exactly what I would love to learn! Modeling and texturing like this in Blender...

Great stuff, Squiggly_P. And the shading already looks pretty good IMHO. But I'm just a noob regarding 3D modeling  Sad

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »

My first character model Shrug
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 04:46:29 AM »

My first model, a Gloster Meteor made in Wings3d, for the cockpit competition.

The placeholder I was using before was seven white cubes stuck together. A was aiming for something similarly lo-fi, but this has come out more complicated than I expected.

Edit: Yikes, I just exported this and loaded it, and it came out all smoothed. Is there anyway to get wings to export things directly as flat-shaded?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:06:53 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 08:02:12 AM »

Nice!  I really like some of your modeling, but in honesty I'm not a huge fan of your style.  Your heads and eyes are what always get to me.  It's not like they're bad, I just don't really like the consistent "peanut" shape.  I think if you added a little more variety to your heads (square chins, less rounded shape) then your design would be much more effective.  The eyes have the same problem.  The three white circles in all of your work just doesn't allow for as much variety and texture.  The eyelids are also a problem for me.  It just seems too cartoony imo.  If that's what you're going for, that's fine, but I just think they could use improvement.  Maybe if you got rid of the eyelids and just added eyebrows it would be less overwhelming and allow for more flexibility and expression.

Sorry if I'm discouraging you.  Again, I really like the rest of the model.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 08:06:56 AM »

My first model, a Gloster Meteor made in Wings3d, for the cockpit competition.

The placeholder I was using before was seven white cubes stuck together. A was aiming for something similarly lo-fi, but this has come out more complicated than I expected.

Edit: Yikes, I just exported this and loaded it, and it came out all smoothed. Is there anyway to get wings to export things directly as flat-shaded?

Hey, that's a pretty awesome model!

"Flatshadedness" is not a property of a model usually, unless each polygon has its own set of vertices. I don't know how you're exporting it or what you're exporting it into, but generally, to get the flat-shaded look, you need to use the face normals when you render. If you use the vertex normals, unless the faces are all separated, it will always look smooth.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 08:58:58 AM »

Hey, that's a pretty awesome model!

"Flatshadedness" is not a property of a model usually, unless each polygon has its own set of vertices. I don't know how you're exporting it or what you're exporting it into, but generally, to get the flat-shaded look, you need to use the face normals when you render. If you use the vertex normals, unless the faces are all separated, it will always look smooth.

Thanks! Here's an updated version, in-game:

Wings was exporting everything (into .obj) with vertex normals, and I didn't want to have to mess around with the import tools and calculate all the face normals myself. But I found a menu option, "auto smooth" (!), that you can use to get it to assign face normals to everything instead.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »

That's awesome! What are you using for this?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
increpare
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »

that looks really great, pishtaco; the colouring especially does it for me.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »

That's awesome! What are you using for this?
Pyglet, so pretty much straight opengl.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »

That screenshot is incredibly cool. It really has some depth in it.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »

I really like the black shapes- it adds a lot of... pizazz? to the picture.
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »

That's great, loving the feel of that snapshot!

Nice!  I really like some of your modeling, but in honesty I'm not a huge fan of your style.  Your heads and eyes are what always get to me.  It's not like they're bad, I just don't really like the consistent "peanut" shape.  I think if you added a little more variety to your heads (square chins, less rounded shape) then your design would be much more effective.  The eyes have the same problem.  The three white circles in all of your work just doesn't allow for as much variety and texture.  The eyelids are also a problem for me.  It just seems too cartoony imo.  If that's what you're going for, that's fine, but I just think they could use improvement.  Maybe if you got rid of the eyelids and just added eyebrows it would be less overwhelming and allow for more flexibility and expression.

Sorry if I'm discouraging you.  Again, I really like the rest of the model.
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback!
I'm probably not going to change it all that much, as it's for school, and we are about to learn how to rigg any day now, but thanks anyway, I'll see what I can do-
I can understand you're not likeing the face, what looked good on paper didn't look quite as good in reality. Yet, I hope it will look more interesting once I've textured it.
Defenitly gonna try to add some cheeks.

The eyes I might change, but I really like the eyelids. Maybe I'll try some brows on top of that...
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »

"Flatshadedness"

The method I use, which is honestly probably worse but involves less work, is to (in Wings3d) select ALL edges in the object, and set their "Hardness" to "Hard". I think these are called "smoothing groups" in other 3d apps, and can let you make a model look more properly-shaded on a per-face basis than having a model completely smooth or completely flat.

I think the main reason why I do this is because all of the Wings3d -> engine exporters I have used triangulate all the faces, such that if I turned flatshading on, it shades every quad (and more-vertexed polygons) as if it were a set of seperate triangles, which usually looks pretty terrible.

Here's some earlier flat-shaded stuff I've done:

Bonus points if you can guess the spacecraft I was inspired by:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:02:18 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »

Star Control 2, the player's ship? Smiley

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

I love those flat shaded models! They remind me of those early 3d games like Star Fox on the Super Nintendo or Vortex or something.

some one quick! make a flat shaded 3d game!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic