Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:57:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 937108 times)
D-TurboKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:03 AM »

Speaking of tight deadlines...

I never, ever, learned art in my whole bloody life, and all of a sudden I had to conjure a 3D environment in Blender and make a 1-minute video out of it.
The result was... kinda terrible. It was also extremely lazy, and I know for a fact that lazyness ruins pretty much everything I bother doing.

But hey, that was literally my first attempt at 3D, nevertheless I'll be sticking to 2D art whenever I get time for a serious first attempt, because I don't really want to do 3D art anyway, just appreciate them.

I think I might edit this later and showcase some of the better models, though. That video is pretty low-res and many of the models are small. Also the light sucks and so does most of the camera, but ohwell.

Also, @pen, might I suggest doing a more organic-looking environment, while still looking like a sci-fi location? I have rarely seen such a mix, so if you wanna go for something more original, It'd be a great starting point.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2081 on: February 01, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »

Whelp, been messing around with Unity and figured it was just time to bite the bullet and tackle this whole 3D modeling thing. Smiley I did some modeling way back in the day, but I never felt comfortable enough to work with it in a project. Anyhow, I downloaded the Silo 3D demo and made this:

Gonna try to get him running around in Unity, but first I need to figure out rigging and animating in Blender. No sweat, right?

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 02, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »

@astrospoon
Makes me think of Banjo Kazooie! Nice  Smiley
How was it learning Silo 3D
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 02, 2013, 01:10:18 PM »

He kinda reminds me of new Max Payne. It would be cool to play it with this model.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2084 on: February 02, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »

Kitheif - So glad it reminded you of Banjo Kazooie. I def. quite enjoy Rare's style. I found Silo pretty intuitive. There aren't too many extra features to confuse you- just the basic stuff you need for modeling, which is helpful when you are just trying to learn.

I just re-downloaded Blender to try rigging and animating, and the new interface does seem loads better. If I end up liking it, its possible I'll just model in it as well too avoid swapping programs for rigging/animation.

Cobralad- It would be awesome to play pretty much any game as a bad ass blue bear. Hopefully it'll be in a game of my own though!

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2085 on: February 02, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »

Astrospoon: Really love the texture you used on that model, and I agree it has that banjo kazooie feel which can only be a good thing Smiley

Made a model of Krum. He's fun to draw Smiley
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2086 on: February 02, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »

Oh cool! is Krum your own character, or is he/she/it from something?

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2087 on: February 02, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »

Oh cool! is Krum your own character, or is he/she/it from something?

It's an original character. Been working on a pretty big  (yet to be announced/released) illustration project. This was one of my favourites to come out of it.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2088 on: February 03, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »

Whelp, been messing around with Unity and figured it was just time to bite the bullet and tackle this whole 3D modeling thing. Smiley I did some modeling way back in the day, but I never felt comfortable enough to work with it in a project. Anyhow, I downloaded the Silo 3D demo and made this:

Gonna try to get him running around in Unity, but first I need to figure out rigging and animating in Blender. No sweat, right?
I like it a lot

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2089 on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »

Question to all you 3D pros out there.

I rigged up my bear guy, and it is working pretty well after some weight tweaking, but I am getting strange wrinkles in the mesh in some places. Basically, a few quads are folding inward instead of outward, which creates a little divot in the mesh. What I want is for the quad to fold along the other two points, so that it pops outward and continues the flow of the mesh. Is there a good way to control which way a quad decides to fold into 2 tris?

Example:

Also: Is there a good way in Blender to Edit a model while it is posed? Whenever I switch to edit mode the model snaps back into place, but some errors would be easier to tweak while the model is still in the troublesome pose.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: February 05, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »

Is there a good way to control which way a quad decides to fold into 2 tris?
By making it two tris perhaps?

Also: Is there a good way in Blender to Edit a model while it is posed? Whenever I switch to edit mode the model snaps back into place, but some errors would be easier to tweak while the model is still in the troublesome pose.
Toggle the "Use modifier while in edit mode" button at the top of the armature modifier and probably also the "Apply modifier to editing cage" button beside it.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2091 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:45 AM »

Yeah, I was just concerned I shouldn't be adding tris, since everything I am reading about learning how to model emphasizes avoiding them at all costs. I figured there might be some sort of value you could tweak per quad that determines how it gets split. Tris it is then.

Shiny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:24 AM »

To my knowledge, Blender has no explicit way to "spin" a quad. It's still possible, however:

1. Select the quad
2. Triangulate the quad (Ctrl+T)

At this point it should look correct, but turning it back into a quad will unfix it.

3. Rotate the edges (Ctrl+E and select Rotate Edge CW/CCW)

If things now look wrong, then you're doing things right.

4. Turn the triangles back into a quad (F)

Open-source software, am I right?
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2093 on: February 06, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »

Yeah, I was just concerned I shouldn't be adding tris, since everything I am reading about learning how to model emphasizes avoiding them at all costs. I figured there might be some sort of value you could tweak per quad that determines how it gets split. Tris it is then.

A few tris isn't an issue.  What you want to avoid is say using 10k tris to make it look "good" when you could accomplish similar results in 1k tris by using more detail in the textures.  You should probably also checkout how it looks and runs in the target game engine after its imported (or are you using blender game engine?)

xrg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2094 on: February 06, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »

That rule mostly concerns subdivision modeling. Quads subdivide cleaner than Tris do. If you have subsurf on something with triangles, it'll often have pinching artifacts. So if it's a high-poly car, it'll look like it has a bunch of little dents on it with triangles in there.

If you're doing something that doesn't rely on any subsurf, there is far less problems with using triangles in spots. Here is a page with topology examples for lower poly type stuff that might help.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: February 07, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »

Taking a break from Ethios before I get too burnt out:

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2096 on: February 07, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »

Armageddon