Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:18:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 931485 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 14, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »

It slows down really quickly at the end for that high swing speed
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2121 on: February 14, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

The problem with animation for games is that the player expects their actions to occur the moment they provide input. Yet for good animation you need some windup time to give the action the feeling of weight. One of the ways of solving this is to have the button down action start the windup and the button up action start the attack animation.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2122 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »

something like this would improve it I feel, but I gotta figure out how I would do this in blender

The problem with animation for games is that the player expects their actions to occur the moment they provide input. Yet for good animation you need some windup time to give the action the feeling of weight. One of the ways of solving this is to have the button down action start the windup and the button up action start the attack animation.
ah, that makes sense

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »

Just make a few half-transparent quads (plane) in the shape of the curve.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 14, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

technically you've got about 20 frames of startup to work with before anyone really cares

any competent individual realizes things cant happen instantly, you've got a lot of wiggle room there
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »

where is the target, the eye should at least lock there, if you keep the feed "planted" it will have a better impact, it look likes one hand grips too high, it makes pivoting the wing awkward. imHo

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 14, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »

Games like Dark Souls are built around learning your combat animations as well as the enemies. That is why it becomes so tactical.

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »

that too, if you trust your players enough to determine "oh, this is a slow attack - it's not lag"

you can have much more fun with attacks
Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 14, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »

also

Gotta love that beard.

@optriromini
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2129 on: February 15, 2013, 07:39:47 AM »

thanks for all the feedback, I'll keep working on it, will try to look at some more reference as well

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »

Some great stuff here! I love the lowpoly stuff, it has actually gotten me to try some 3D stuff myself. This is my first ever experiment with anything 3d related, and I'm actually suprised how quick I was able to pick it up in just one evening (using blender).

I do have some questions though;

- Blender seems to be using something called BMesh, which supports ngons instead of triangles. As far as I know most game renderers use triangles. Is using bmesh a bad practise for models in gamedev?

- My model seems to have some strange shading in the editor, and also some strange shading (artifact?) in the render near the ear. I don't really know how to figure out what's causing this. Any idea's?

Any general pointers what I could improve on the mesh are welcome, very new to this stuff.

xrg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2131 on: February 16, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »

- Blender seems to be using something called BMesh, which supports ngons instead of triangles. As far as I know most game renderers use triangles. Is using bmesh a bad practise for models in gamedev?

About all the apps support ngons. Blender was actually really late to the party there. For games, your final mesh you'll mostly want quads, and triangles for trickier areas. You can use ngons while modeling, just be sure to clean them up by making them into quads or triangles for your final model.

So in your Pikachu, around the eye there, you have a few 5-sided faces. You can just the knife tool (k) to make a few cuts to turn them into triangles/quads and you'll be good to go.

- My model seems to have some strange shading in the editor, and also some strange shading (artifact?) in the render near the ear. I don't really know how to figure out what's causing this. Any idea's?

Most likely you have flipped normals (faces facing inside rather than outside). Tab into Edit mode, Select all (a), and recalculate normals (Ctrl+n).

Dr.Electro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2132 on: February 16, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

finished this Soul Prison tower yesterday

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: February 16, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »

About all the apps support ngons. Blender was actually really late to the party there. For games, your final mesh you'll mostly want quads, and triangles for trickier areas. You can use ngons while modeling, just be sure to clean them up by making them into quads or triangles for your final model.

So in your Pikachu, around the eye there, you have a few 5-sided faces. You can just the knife tool (k) to make a few cuts to turn them into triangles/quads and you'll be good to go.
But that would mean that I would have to manually cut all ngons into triangles? That sounds like quite a hassle. But I did manage to fix up the eye there Smiley

Most likely you have flipped normals (faces facing inside rather than outside). Tab into Edit mode, Select all (a), and recalculate normals (Ctrl+n).

Haha I messed around with the ears for so long, I can see that I messed that up somewhere. ctrl+n did the trick, thanks!

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 16, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

But that would mean that I would have to manually cut all ngons into triangles? That sounds like quite a hassle.
Only if you care how it is triangulated. If it doesn't deform with animation, is pretty-much planar and has minimal UV deformation then there really shouldn't be any need.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »

Generally export to game engine take care of triangulation, it's only a problem with some bad diagonal. However I would advise against Ngon beyond quad, quad is not required for game engine (they only see triangle) but it's good modeling practice, it allow for easy editing if you keep track of "edge loop". Having good edge flow is a way to check your modeling (google edge flow and edge loop).

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2136 on: February 17, 2013, 04:29:35 AM »

Decided to try out some modular pieces for a dungeon.
The broken/rough pillar bits don't work as well as I'd like, because it doesn't quite make sense why there's larger rough rocks inside the brick wall unless it's all hewn from the inside of a mountain or something, but they're actually able to be used as rock piles in corners as well - a dedicated mesh would probably be a good idea for having it in-production though, for the sake of simple editing.
More of a technical exercise than anything.

I like the look of assets like this rendered at low res and then scaled up for some reason, maybe because it lets me fake detail.
Teleglitch used it to great effect recently.

All super low poly with some pixel level work done on the texture. Could drop top and bottom and internal faces to optimise, probably at runtime without much hassle. It's not really built with dynamic terrain in mind.

Might do more modular stuff like this soon, it's interesting, like trying to make good pieces for a fun puzzle.

But that would mean that I would have to manually cut all ngons into triangles? That sounds like quite a hassle. But I did manage to fix up the eye there Smiley
Select all, ctrl+t, alt+j. It'll turn everything into tris, then find the "best" configuration of tris and quads it can.
Having it properly triangulated can be important for animation (if export just happens to export one of your quads the "wrong" way, you can get some janky animation in engine).

@Dr Electro: Consider having a coloured ramp rather than full greyscale on that stone. I think colder greenish darks in particular would look good.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 17, 2013, 04:55:29 AM »

NEAT
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 17, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »

Just trying out shading in Unity for a prototype.

poe
« Reply #2139 on: February 17, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »

Decided to try out some modular pieces for a dungeon.
The broken/rough pillar bits don't work as well as I'd like, because it doesn't quite make sense why there's larger rough rocks inside the brick wall unless it's all hewn from the inside of a mountain or something, but they're actually able to be used as rock piles in corners as well - a dedicated mesh would probably be a good idea for having it in-production though, for the sake of simple editing.
More of a technical exercise than anything.

I like the look of assets like this rendered at low res and then scaled up for some reason, maybe because it lets me fake detail.
Teleglitch used it to great effect recently.

All super low poly with some pixel level work done on the texture. Could drop top and bottom and internal faces to optimise, probably at runtime without much hassle. It's not really built with dynamic terrain in mind.

Might do more modular stuff like this soon, it's interesting, like trying to make good pieces for a fun puzzle.

Select all, ctrl+t, alt+j. It'll turn everything into tris, then find the "best" configuration of tris and quads it can.
Having it properly triangulated can be important for animation (if export just happens to export one of your quads the "wrong" way, you can get some janky animation in engine).

@Dr Electro: Consider having a coloured ramp rather than full greyscale on that stone. I think colder greenish darks in particular would look good.

That looks badass!
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic