Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:01:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 936196 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: February 24, 2013, 06:03:13 AM »

Is this somehow related to that eye candy dungeon?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2181 on: February 24, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »

They are both weekend modeling practice not related to work. Once KAG's done we're thinking of working on something 3d, so I'm trying to sort out some 'mad 3d art skillz' before then Smiley

poe
« Reply #2182 on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »

They are both weekend modeling practice not related to work. Once KAG's done we're thinking of working on something 3d, so I'm trying to sort out some 'mad 3d art skillz' before then Smiley

God yes. I would love something in that style.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2183 on: February 24, 2013, 03:14:53 PM »

-snip-
fwiw these are usually fairly hard to comment on for me, since the style really isn't up my alley. Are they normal mapped or are some parts of the model just much higher poly than the rest?

Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: February 24, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

UV unwrapping in Cinema 4D is a nightmare when it comes to pixel stuff. Sure, a box that's 1x1x1 with a 128x128 texture is pretty easy, but making a box that is 1x2x0.5 and getting the UV to sit pixel perfect is not possible, from what I can tell, as there is no way to snap the edges/points of the UV to pixels (texture size). In Blender that is possible, though.
So my workflow today went like this: three hours of trying to figure it out in C4D -> pissed off, remember I have Blender installed -> export to obj, load in Blender -> edit the UV (only two crashes, yay!) -> export obj, load in C4D -> load texture. Done.

The one from C4D. Had pretty much given up here.

The one from Blender, opened in C4D.

Obv I'm no expert. Just saying.

@optriromini
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2185 on: February 24, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »

@geti sic
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2186 on: February 24, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »

-snip-
Why are you doing it in C4D in the first place though? Afaik it's not geared towards low poly stuff at all. More comfortable with the tools?

@softchange thx

Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: February 25, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »

-snip-
Why are you doing it in C4D in the first place though? Afaik it's not geared towards low poly stuff at all. More comfortable with the tools?

Yes, I find the interface and everything to be vastly superior to Blender. And it never crashes – something Blender does a couple times an hour. Also, rendering out stuff without antialiasing and shit is something that never works for me in Blender, no matter how many times I follow the instructions here and on other sites.
But perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way anyway. Only been fooling around with 3D for a couple of months, and found C4D was the easiest software to work with, but perhaps there are other tools more suited to my particular needs.

@optriromini
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2188 on: February 25, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »

Like most 3d packages, you can generally move everything in blender around to suit your needs better, and then save that as your default. You might be able to set it up to have the same interface layout as C4D.
Re: Crashes - several times an hour sounds terrible, as well as unlikely without awful bad luck. I had one crash with the new release this sunday, while modelling for about 5 hours straight. Didn't lose much data because I'm in the habit of saving often, and blender conveniently saves your interface exactly as it is as part of the .blend file.

If you aren't into blender at all, maybe consider wings3d for lowpoly stuff.

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: February 26, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »

finished these a few days ago. made for a client on SecondLife for 70 bux. holla holla get dolla!

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2190 on: February 26, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »

Second life sure seems to have a high polygon budget! Looks very nice.
Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: February 26, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »

It's weird. SecondLife is capable of handling some extremely high polycounts without stuttering at all, but memory leaks cause it to crash after a few hours. One friend uploaded a few avatars that total in the 100k range EACH and they don't cause any issues. go figure!

those boots are only 4k though, which... honestly, that's less than what most shoes on SL come to.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

Well poor lighting and shader in SL mean less draw call I think (assuming they didn't upgrade since last time).

Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »

Within the last year or two it's gained deferred rendering with Ambient Occlusion, detailed shadow handling, and DOF. Thanks to mesh uploads being possible, you can atleast make stuff that's not ugly looking.
Personally, I think it's still garbage because it's just attempting to mask something that's already broken and irrepairable. Atleast there's money to be made.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »

yeah, but by now I think it's part of SL identity, a bit like rogue like with ascii.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »

oh snap that new subdiv stuff in the blender sculpting tools is ill. Maybe my 3d models will finally have some normal mapping in them.

Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2196 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »

I need to get in on some second life dosh  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

how exactly does one get started doing this?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:26:11 PM by Delko » Logged

lean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2197 on: February 27, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

hi!

a lowpoly soldier I made last weekend:

skudfisher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2198 on: February 27, 2013, 06:58:48 PM »

I used the games loading image as my character reference, but took some liberties with details.

This is so awesome. It's like Spelunky showed up in Joe Danger.
Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: February 27, 2013, 10:51:57 PM »

I need to get in on some second life dosh  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Right Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

how exactly does one get started doing this?

make an account, put in payment and age verification info, do the mesh test so that you can have permission to upload mesh, and then have fun. you'll probably need to put a few bucks in for upload money (2-4 dollars would cover it) though, so there's that. the rest is a weird grey area full of figuring out the marketplace and advertising.

lean: damn that soldier is really cool! what's the tricount on it?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:03:16 AM by Colon Semicolon » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic