Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:44:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 936340 times)
Cow
Level 0

Queen Jellybean

View Profile
« Reply #3300 on: May 24, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:19:18 PM by Cow » Logged

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: May 25, 2015, 06:55:17 AM »

Cow, that's great! Shocked is that some kind of voxel-type thing? Excuse me, I'm not too well-versed in voxels and point-cloud data and such...

Got tired of pushing pixels and decided to do a quick sculpt. I'm pretty rusty though, this doesn't look particularly good

No way, that looks very nice! Digging the skin texture. It's a bit ambigious, like it's kind of metal, kind of skin... The design reminds me of Ooccoo's head from twilight princess, but more older.

I've been trying to do a decent wall material that is okay from both a distance and farther up close, without using huge textures. Instead of using one big texture(well I guess 950x800 is good for a game, but not prerendered backgrounds!), I've been breaking down stuff into separate layers... this one has 3 layers of rough wall texture(all the same texture, but with varying sizes. For example, 1 is the biggest, the next repeats 2x for the 1, and the next repeats 2x for layer 2, but with they're very transparent over each other. It's enough to avoid seeing the artifacts from the first layer being zoomed in on)

the next layer is the mortar lines, which is just an alpha-transparent rectangle(600x800)

Up to about here it starts looking pretty ugly, but we won't be this close to this particular wall in the actual game!

jsepia
« Reply #3302 on: May 25, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »

Got tired of pushing pixels and decided to do a quick sculpt. I'm pretty rusty though, this doesn't look particularly good

Of course it does. That is clearly Alan Rickman in salarian makeup.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3303 on: May 26, 2015, 06:14:01 AM »

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: May 26, 2015, 06:56:07 AM »

omg snape what happens to yuo
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »

It took me nearly a week, but finally I've figured out how the beach area in my game will look. I was absolutely stumped at how to do a beach scene my poor computer can render in a timely fashion, so the obvious place to look is real-time graphics. I looked at lots of beach photos, and also researched how some of my personal favorite beaches in games did shores.

"sunset" colors

Chip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3306 on: June 05, 2015, 02:44:49 AM »

I can't stop watching No Man's Sky trailers

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3307 on: June 05, 2015, 06:30:25 AM »

Bowling alley I'm making for my game. This is a render. I've never tried baking reflections or modeled an environment, so I'm not sure how nice it will look in the engine.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: June 08, 2015, 01:11:27 AM »

EvilDingo, very nice! I'd love to see it with the baked reflections. I've always had a thing for bowling alleys, especially the ones with mood lighting like that.

Okay, so last post I was happy with the water, but after some thinking(and getting tired of long render times) I tried again using a couple theories.
1. Don't use Z-transparency on the water! Takes longer than reflections somehow... this is set to 0 depth, very basic reflection so it'll catch just enough reflection to make it look like its water. What is doing most the detail filling is a texture of the sky set to reflection mapping.
2. Waves. I wasn't sure how to do them, so I just modeled a wave out of a half-cylinder and place it around the ocean...
3. Transparency map for ocean- I have it so the water just fades in slightly as it leaves the shore. You can't see it here too much, but its there under the sea foam.
4. Use a Boolean modifier to cut a plane mesh for sea foam. I took a plane, intersected it with the shore mesh, and cleaned it up to make the outline of the shore and mapped a simple foam texture to it.

It still needs some more things, like better foam, wet sand(that's so easy to do!) and work on the waves, but it renders quicker than the previous water and will look better with having more bells and whistles. Plus, the scene is much much less triangles.

Now if I could optimize the wet-sand reflections we'll be good to go. But what takes the longest is shadows!! I still haven't been able to do a work around for quick ray-traced soft shadows...

cirpons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: June 09, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »

@swordofkings128 Really nice looking beaches!

Some eyes:

Who, Me?
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3310 on: June 09, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »

<3 i love this. low poly eyes <3 <<3 <3
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3311 on: June 12, 2015, 03:24:07 AM »

just learned how to rig and animated this myself, low framerate of the gif is kinda killing it tho

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: June 16, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »

just learned how to rig and animated this myself, low framerate of the gif is kinda killing it tho

I like the style.. which 3D modeling tool are you using?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3313 on: June 17, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »

Looks pretty good. A bit squashed vertically, but not bad at all.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: June 21, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »

Ah, do I spy Probuilder, ANtY? It's a fantastic program, I think.

Figured out a good method for cartoony fur:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3315 on: June 22, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »

^ Sweet. Your characters are getting better and better every time you post 'em, dude.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: June 22, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »

But if he kept redoing them he is not progressing elsewhere, the game graphics is good enough already

Henry_Oswald
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3317 on: June 24, 2015, 07:27:48 AM »

Figured out a good method for cartoony fur:

This is absolutely rockin' McMutton. You are like, the god of character design.

Here's the guy I've been working on for the past week. Just a few more tweaks and I can start texturing. Hopefully I can get the fabric to work the way I want. This design is pretty dependent on it. Roll Eyes

"Do you think love can bloom even on the battlefield?"
- Otacon
Quill Devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38129.0
Home Website: http://psychospectacle.weebly.com
Watch us on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/quill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PsychoSpecs
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3318 on: June 24, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »

Here's the guy I've been working on for the past week. Just a few more tweaks and I can start texturing. Hopefully I can get the fabric to work the way I want. This design is pretty dependent on it. Roll Eyes

How do you get the one-sided surfaces on the end of his sleeves to show both sides in a game engine? I always solidify them, even a little, so they have two sides. That way I can bake AO into the texture too, but it increases the poly count quite a bit.

Henry_Oswald
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3319 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:18 PM »

How do you get the one-sided surfaces on the end of his sleeves to show both sides in a game engine? I always solidify them, even a little, so they have two sides. That way I can bake AO into the texture too, but it increases the poly count quite a bit.

I usually just duplicate the part that is one dimensional and then flip its normals. That way both sides are rendered in the game engine when you export the file from Blender.

"Do you think love can bloom even on the battlefield?"
- Otacon
Quill Devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38129.0
Home Website: http://psychospectacle.weebly.com
Watch us on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/quill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PsychoSpecs
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic