Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999641 Posts in 39235 Topics- by 30649 Members - Latest Member: 7yp

April 24, 2014, 02:01:23 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArt3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 328447 times)
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2130 on: February 14, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »

thanks for the feedback, heres an update

I'm ok with it being cartoonish, I'm trying to make the animation happen really quickly for fast paced gameplay

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2131 on: February 14, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »

It slows down really quickly at the end for that high swing speed

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2132 on: February 14, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

The problem with animation for games is that the player expects their actions to occur the moment they provide input. Yet for good animation you need some windup time to give the action the feeling of weight. One of the ways of solving this is to have the button down action start the windup and the button up action start the attack animation.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2133 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »

something like this would improve it I feel, but I gotta figure out how I would do this in blender

The problem with animation for games is that the player expects their actions to occur the moment they provide input. Yet for good animation you need some windup time to give the action the feeling of weight. One of the ways of solving this is to have the button down action start the windup and the button up action start the attack animation.
ah, that makes sense

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »

Just make a few half-transparent quads (plane) in the shape of the curve.
world news
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 14, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

technically you've got about 20 frames of startup to work with before anyone really cares

any competent individual realizes things cant happen instantly, you've got a lot of wiggle room there
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2136 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »

where is the target, the eye should at least lock there, if you keep the feed "planted" it will have a better impact, it look likes one hand grips too high, it makes pivoting the wing awkward. imHo

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
Mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 14, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »

Games like Dark Souls are built around learning your combat animations as well as the enemies. That is why it becomes so tactical.

world news
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »

that too, if you trust your players enough to determine "oh, this is a slow attack - it's not lag"

you can have much more fun with attacks
Optrirominiluikus
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #2139 on: February 14, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »

also

Gotta love that beard.

@optriromini
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2140 on: February 15, 2013, 07:39:47 AM »

thanks for all the feedback, I'll keep working on it, will try to look at some more reference as well

omgnoseat
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »

Some great stuff here! I love the lowpoly stuff, it has actually gotten me to try some 3D stuff myself. This is my first ever experiment with anything 3d related, and I'm actually suprised how quick I was able to pick it up in just one evening (using blender).

I do have some questions though;

- Blender seems to be using something called BMesh, which supports ngons instead of triangles. As far as I know most game renderers use triangles. Is using bmesh a bad practise for models in gamedev?

- My model seems to have some strange shading in the editor, and also some strange shading (artifact?) in the render near the ear. I don't really know how to figure out what's causing this. Any idea's?

Any general pointers what I could improve on the mesh are welcome, very new to this stuff.

xrg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2142 on: February 16, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »

- Blender seems to be using something called BMesh, which supports ngons instead of triangles. As far as I know most game renderers use triangles. Is using bmesh a bad practise for models in gamedev?

About all the apps support ngons. Blender was actually really late to the party there. For games, your final mesh you'll mostly want quads, and triangles for trickier areas. You can use ngons while modeling, just be sure to clean them up by making them into quads or triangles for your final model.

So in your Pikachu, around the eye there, you have a few 5-sided faces. You can just the knife tool (k) to make a few cuts to turn them into triangles/quads and you'll be good to go.

- My model seems to have some strange shading in the editor, and also some strange shading (artifact?) in the render near the ear. I don't really know how to figure out what's causing this. Any idea's?

Most likely you have flipped normals (faces facing inside rather than outside). Tab into Edit mode, Select all (a), and recalculate normals (Ctrl+n).

Dr.Electro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2143 on: February 16, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »

finished this Soul Prison tower yesterday

RunicRampage at facebook
omgnoseat
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: February 16, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »

About all the apps support ngons. Blender was actually really late to the party there. For games, your final mesh you'll mostly want quads, and triangles for trickier areas. You can use ngons while modeling, just be sure to clean them up by making them into quads or triangles for your final model.

So in your Pikachu, around the eye there, you have a few 5-sided faces. You can just the knife tool (k) to make a few cuts to turn them into triangles/quads and you'll be good to go.
But that would mean that I would have to manually cut all ngons into triangles? That sounds like quite a hassle. But I did manage to fix up the eye there Smiley

Most likely you have flipped normals (faces facing inside rather than outside). Tab into Edit mode, Select all (a), and recalculate normals (Ctrl+n).

Haha I messed around with the ears for so long, I can see that I messed that up somewhere. ctrl+n did the trick, thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic