Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:41:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionEnviro-Bear 2000: Operation: Hibernation [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Enviro-Bear 2000: Operation: Hibernation [Finished]  (Read 316533 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »

WINNER: Jazuzo Memorial and Excellence Award 2009.

I laughed 'till I hurt. Then I ate some more fish. IN MY CAR! IN REVERSE! Lawd.
jkd003
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 03:52:18 AM »

I love this game!
I only don't really like the level system. Playing the same level again only with less time to forage for food is hardly what I would call a reward and I'm not even sure if its possible without luck to beat the 1min level.
I know you said you were finished with this game, but I like it so much I can't help but think about how it could be even better. If you could bear with my rudeness  Beg I would like to talk about a few things I was thinking about that could improve the game should you chose to expand it.

The real challenge behind the game is properly operating a car as a bear, getting fish and berries and hibernation under a time limit is nothing but things to give the challenge focus.Ideally one might think everything in the car would be operated with two mice, one for each hand so you can have one hand on the wheel while the other operates the gas, shift and deals with anything entering the vehicle. Of course this is unreasonable to expect because of OS limitations as well as the limitations of the human brain, controlling two mice at once would be difficult indeed. Right now instead you can drive the car with the wasd keys.
This is a good way to tackle the problem, but I think with a little more effort you could make the cockpit controls all the more fantastic without making the controls too difficult to handle.
Create a second bear hand sprite that clings on to the wheel (perhaps coming from the left hand wall to suggest his elbow sticking out the window). The A and S keys operates the hand and spins the wheel to the right and left. 
You could put in a bear foot to operate the gas and break, but I feel that would make the controls too easy. The second hand should be at work pushing the gas, changing gears and grabbing food.
A ignition key you start at the beginning  that turns on the radio music would be a lovely touch.

So now we have two bear hands with solid controls operating a car.
As I said the challenge in the game comes from trying to operate the car as a bear, but even more importantly, the fun comes from the wacky experience, adding more little touches to the game that make it so charming.

I came up with a few ideas, like when you toss badgers out of your car you get a visual feed back, seeing them fly out in front of the car, and having it be possible to toss them into the cars of other bears causing them to flip out and crash, or toss rocks out to knock down items stuck in trees like honeycombs but I think thats all asking too much.

As I said above, limiting the amount of time the player has is no fun, it would be really cool if you could throw together a travel mode, where there is no time limit. Rather than have Berries and Fish fill a fullness meter, they are kept count of as a score, the over all goal being to eat as much as possible before the car breaks down. Whether that be by crashing enough or running out of fuel. Juggling these two would keep the player from being overly cautious or hasty as leaving the engine running consumes gas by itself and sudden but slow jerks use up more than a constant speed.

The cave entrances would lead you to a tunnel you would drive along for a moment as the game loads a new randomly generate area on the other side.
Of course lastly to make things really complete, you could use your wonderful creativity to add all sorts of rare and unusual features to the game that reward the player for getting farther and playing longer. You could even set for them to be triggered after a certain score is reached. Things as simple from recolored golden fish and blue berries to new encounters like gas stations and deer.

I'm sorry if this is a bit much but I just see so much potential in this game as a epic single player exploration game.
You could even go so far as to make a specific goal for the player that is difficult but counts as a true victory, like collect all X of special item X. Or replace the limited gas with the bear getting hungry, roaring at the player when he starts to starve and make it a specific journey as the bear decides to make a journey across land with increasingly harder to find food. .

Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 04:59:36 AM »

Thanks for this! I was inspired enough to write about it on my blog that no one reads:
http://pitapumpkin.blogspot.com/2009/03/bears-driving-cars.html

Really, this came out great. Smiley

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Quaestor
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 07:05:42 AM »

Hi, I have registered just to let you know that your game gets posted all over russian segment of internet, accompanied by fictional letter from child and screenshot. The letter itself makes you laugh hysterically(if you speak russian and know pronunciation differences between russian-ukrainian-belorussian) and you don't believe that the game actually exists! It was very hard to believe for me. The game is awesome!

Allow me to try to translate fictional letter:

"Hallo, can you please make a game where bear could eat berries and fish. Oh yeah and bear should drive a car. Real physics must be too, so you could hit trees and leaves, cones, bees, skunk fall inside. Skunk run inside car and you can grab him with your paw and through out. And there must be other bears in forrest, driving cars. You can hit them. Everybody roar. There must be oversteers on turns. You can spin the steering wheel with paw. Most important- driving must not be like in arcades- manual transmission. Oh well, let the paw press the pedal too.
When bear eats fish- there must be bones and tail left.
In five minutes will be winter."
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »

Wow, that's excellent!

You've created an internet phenomenon, Crackerblocks! Tiger

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »

You're right, the level system is no fun. I was simply out of time to do something more elaborate, and I had plenty of ideas. I expected people would play level 1 a couple times, say ha ha, then be done, so it was a low priority.
Making the controls more complicated and adding world exploration... I don't think so. I'm so amazingly done with this game. Your other ideas are great. Making the radio interactive would have been fun.  But there's a million things I could add. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Thanks for this! I was inspired enough to write about it on my blog that no one reads:
http://pitapumpkin.blogspot.com/2009/03/bears-driving-cars.html

That's a most excellent blog post. Thanks! I did have fun making the game, but there was definitely a few existential crises mixed in.

Hi, I have registered just to let you know that your game gets posted all over russian segment of internet, accompanied by fictional letter from child and screenshot. The letter itself makes you laugh hysterically(if you speak russian and know pronunciation differences between russian-ukrainian-belorussian) and you don't believe that the game actually exists! It was very hard to believe for me. The game is awesome!

That's bloody brilliant. got a link? I'd love to try babelfishing my way through the Russian indie scene some day. Those guys must be nuts.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »

I love your game. That's it. I have no criticism or suggestions to add to this. It's simply amazing. Just please keep doing what you're doing.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »

I love your game. That's it. I have no criticism or suggestions to add to this. It's simply amazing. Just please keep doing what you're doing.

amen. end of story.

EDIT: oh wait, i have a suggestion. Submit this mother to the IGF and rake in the cash!

also... Shawn Elliott linked your gameplay video: http://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/1492166799  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »

Haha, thank you for that game, it's the best!!
ForTheUSSR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »

This is hilarious and fun! 
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 01:20:36 AM »

Not what I was expecting at all. I love the combination of sliding block/physics puzzle/demolition derby/collect-em-up. I'm only sad that I lost a really big fish that I caught because there was too much crap in the way to get it into my mouth Sad

The only minor hassle was changing between F and R seems a bit flaky - do you have to be completely stopped? But it's such a minor thing, and weighed against all the wonderment (fish physics, how can you go wrong with that!) it doesn't signify.
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »

I played through most of the finished entries last night, and I think this was the most fun I had. The art was charming (the trees made me think of the campgrounds in Psychonauts), the music was lively and amusing, and I laughed out loud as I started playing with the controls because I actually felt like a bear trying to drive a car (hilariously clumsy). And then ZOMG BADGERS!!

Great job. Beer!

genericuser
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »

Enviro-Bear 2000 was featured on Destructoid!

(Crackerblocks, even if your game doesn't get the most votes, you have still won this competition.  Grin)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2009, 02:03:03 AM »

Yeah I had a lot of fun with this...  The laugh I got from trying to throw the badger out the window, when it kept grabbing the gearstick was worth the download alone.

Really feeling the controls and framerate on this one, smooth and slick.  Gentleman

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »

The game was all over the internet, I even saw it on a korean blog.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »

What did you create this with?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »

The idea is pure genious, but everything in this game is too hard. I have problems manouvering into a cave even if I am in time, and I get stuck between stuff all the time. If the bear had feet, so that you could use the pedals with z and x, it would get a little easier. It is kinda frustrating.

The badger made my day though :D
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

The only minor hassle was changing between F and R seems a bit flaky - do you have to be completely stopped?

yup! I strive for realism.

The game was all over the internet, I even saw it on a korean blog.

Now the internet is being silly.

What did you create this with?

C++, HGE, box2d physics, photoshop, and freesound.org

It evolved from the box2d sample code, which are all little worlds of boxes and circles that you can grab and throw around with the mouse.

Thanks for all the great comments folks. I'm working on the sequel this very minute.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

Thanks for all the great comments folks. I'm working on the sequel this very minute.

Best news I've heard all week Beer! Will you

a) Make the badger a playable character

b) Add a co-op mode where one badger works the pedals and the other steers?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2009, 09:44:15 PM »

This is hilarious. I didn't realize you could throw things out the window at first, so my first playthrough ended with three badgers in the car. :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic