Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:59:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Android] [iOS] Exiled Kingdoms - action RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Android] [iOS] Exiled Kingdoms - action RPG  (Read 5925 times)
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:14:52 AM »

Exiled Kingdoms is an open-ended action RPG for Android and iOS devices (eventually for desktop as well).

Android: Download from Play Store
New! iOS: Download from App Store

The game is story-driven, rich in dialogues and with a detailed setting. But at the same time, it is a free-roam game, absolutely non-linear. The world is big, with 66 areas right now, and many more being added. Yet I am working hard in the details, stories, characters and setting. There's already dozens of quests, over a hundred conversations, 300+ different items, and 50+ enemy types.

Video trailer:

The game is available in both English and Spanish languages.

Main page: http://www.exiledkingdoms.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/exiledkingdoms
Complete changelog: click here.
Credits: the game uses a lot of open assets from wonderful artists. Full list here

Screenshots

David
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:35:32 AM by DavidBVal » Logged
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »

This looks like it has really great potential! Some of the first RPGs I ever got hooked on were also isometric and looked very similar to this. They were the Geneforge Saga and Avernum games. I spent a lot of hours making my own scenarios in Blades of Avernum because I loved the games and the community of players so much. Seeing your game made all these memories flash back into my head, which was really pleasant! Smiley

I'm sure you would like Spiderweb Software's RPGs if you haven't already played them. Jeff is also releasing his games on mobile now, even after being a PC developer his entire career. However he doesn't release on Android, so your game might fill my urge for RPGs like this on my phone! I wonder if it plays well on small screens, or if it's intended just for tablets?

Some things stick out as not-quite-perfect in the screenshots, like the font doesn't fit well with the rest of the aesthetic, and there are dashes in front of every dialog paragraph, which I've never seen in English games. I'm sure that's just a minor localization thing. But you should get rid of the dashes and pick a new font before you release.

The dialog snippet in your 3rd screenshot is pretty funny ("roses") and makes me excited about the game's lore, writing and characters. I'm definitely going to follow your progress here and maybe even get involved in the alpha/beta testing if I have time to be of use. Smiley

The only other thing I would nitpick about your screenshots is that the ground appears pretty sparse and boring in most places. It could use some more tiles for flowers, bushes, and just generally more variation in those large patches where it's just grass/desert. I think a little bit would go a long way in that regard.

DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:47:05 PM »

This looks like it has really great potential! Some of the first RPGs I ever got hooked on were also isometric and looked very similar to this. They were the Geneforge Saga and Avernum games. I spent a lot of hours making my own scenarios in Blades of Avernum because I loved the games and the community of players so much. Seeing your game made all these memories flash back into my head, which was really pleasant! Smiley

I loved them too, it is my honor to be compared to such a true "pioneer" series of independent game development.

your game might fill my urge for RPGs like this on my phone! I wonder if it plays well on small screens, or if it's intended just for tablets?

It is designed mostly for phones, actually. Looks perfect on phones of most resolutions and 7" tablets, and decent in bigger tablets.

I even have one tester that managed to play on a 240x320 screen! that's not something I advise, but it worked.

Some things stick out as not-quite-perfect in the screenshots, like the font doesn't fit well with the rest of the aesthetic, and there are dashes in front of every dialog paragraph, which I've never seen in English games. I'm sure that's just a minor localization thing. But you should get rid of the dashes and pick a new font before you release.

The font... I know what you mean, and likely in the PC version I'll do something about it. I have given priority to readability and clarity, since this is designed for small screens. And because we the generation of RPG fans is becoming old and may use glasses too  Cheesy

However, maybe I can find a font that is readable and a bit more visually appealing, I'll look into it.

Dashes, you are right, will be gone in tonight's build.

The dialog snippet in your 3rd screenshot is pretty funny ("roses") and makes me excited about the game's lore, writing and characters. I'm definitely going to follow your progress here and maybe even get involved in the alpha/beta testing if I have time to be of use. Smiley

Oh, if you're into that sort of thing, I think you'll love it... a few more sample dialogues. Didn't particularly pick them, just wandered around for 5 minutes. The first one is a random encounter, even.

The only other thing I would nitpick about your screenshots is that the ground appears pretty sparse and boring in most places. It could use some more tiles for flowers, bushes, and just generally more variation in those large patches where it's just grass/desert. I think a little bit would go a long way in that regard.

Well, I certainly need more art everywhere in the game. In a perfect world, I'd have an artist giving me lots of blueprints, portraits, concept backgrounds... in reality, I am alone in this. However, if the game is succesful, I'll keep improving aspects like that one, especially. Having said this, I believe that's not the impression you get when you actually play and things are moving. Try for yourself if you want! ;
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:32:39 AM by DavidBVal » Logged
hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:57:13 AM »

you named two of my favorite games and sources of inspiration in your presentation thread. way to go! I love the concept and looks of the game and a quick scan of your forum shows that many share that notion.
I am a bit unsure whether you still have open positions to fill concerning audio (sound fx?)
best

Roland

DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »

you named two of my favorite games and sources of inspiration in your presentation thread. way to go! I love the concept and looks of the game and a quick scan of your forum shows that many share that notion.
I am a bit unsure whether you still have open positions to fill concerning audio (sound fx?)
best

Roland

Hello Roland, nice to meet someone who one day played Darklands, I think we're a rare breed nowadays! and thanks for the positive feedback.

Definitely your sounds portfolio looks impressive!

As for your question, Exiled Kingdoms is so far a one-man project, although I used many open assets (CC0 or CC-BY SA) and spent some budget in professional 3D models for some buildings and characters. At a later point, if the project is succesful, I will certainly look further into purchasing assets, or other forms of collaborations, and among them, sounds like the ones in your showcase may fit in. Right now,  I have to settle for using open sound assets.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »

Posted a short article on Pocket Gamer
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Exiled+Kingdoms/news.asp?c=67012

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »

Thank you Christian! Smiley
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »

I just realized you didn't mention what framework/technologies you're using to develop the game. Is it LibGDX? Now I'm curious and I'd be interested in some technical posts about your engine as well.  Smiley

DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 03:20:05 AM »

I just realized you didn't mention what framework/technologies you're using to develop the game. Is it LibGDX? Now I'm curious and I'd be interested in some technical posts about your engine as well.  Smiley

Yes, LibGDX.

I designed my own propietary engine, entirely separated from the game design itself. It handles the basic game capabilities, such as handling the isometric maps (tmx format), and all the game entities, plus combat. But also conversations, or quests, which all go in separate files. There is almost nothing hardcoded in the game, not even skills; they can be adjusted by a non-programmer by just editing txt files. There's a scripted conditions/actions system which I use in conversations, for instance, to display some conversation lines or not depending on variable values, or to give the player a XP reward, directly from the conversation txt file. Such conditions/actions are also implemented in monster spawns, containers, etc. That's why you can, for instance, free the Lannegar mine, and then miners will spawn instead of goblins.

Eventually I'll work on an editor, to minimize errors in scripted conditions/actions. But as of now, I must push forward the game itself. So much to do!

Another thing that has been built in is a messaging system; everything in the game is handled via messages, from a buff expiration, to a hit damage, to a door autoclosing, to an AI looking for a new target. This avoids constantly polling all gameentities, and instead just calls them when they are supposed to do something. It also allows better logging and debugging (just log out the messages and you see everything that has happened), and also will be a good base for future multiplayer development, as in the end, it is as if I've integrated both the server and the client in the game, and make them communicate via messages.

The game has as of now 200 java classes, and it certainly should have more... some code written a year ago would need refactoring and cleaning, although overall it is rather well organized. In total, I have invested around 1,900 hours in this project, and I estimate another 140 until the first public Beta release, and maybe another 800 until the game fits my "vision".

Among missing features that I'm currently working on for 0.6 Beta (september), I would list:

-Skills: complete revamp and expansion. There will be many more skills/powers, and they will have more interesting mechanics, and include more visually appealing effects.
-Game content. There's currently around 25-30 hours worth of content (+ grinding and dynamic content). That's roughly a third of what I'll eventually have.
-AI: it is rather simple now, it needs to be improved.
-Dynamic lighting, shaders, particles. Currently lacking.

And after that, there's still a long way until 1.0... just to name a few things, mage class (which will allow spell creation), crafting, and a much more dynamic world.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:16:34 AM by DavidBVal » Logged
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:44:07 AM »

Just in to post a quick update with a few screenshots. Exiled Kingdoms development keeps progressing well, and many mechanics, UI improvements and game content has been added. The latest and more "visual" changes are about dynamic lights:

As soon as I finish a few UI improvements, I'll make a new video.

You can see a full changelog here.

I am still looking for testers, currently for Android. This only implies playing, nothing else, and the game is already stable and has about 20 hours of content available. If you are interested, please click here.
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »

Updated first post with the Gameplay video showing the Rogue skills in action:

Developemen keeps advancing within schedule, as now nearly all Skills are implemented. In the next weeks, the focus will be in improving the AI (mostly, so enemies can use skills and spells), and creating more content (more dungeons and quests).

Android testers are still needed!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:55:03 PM by DavidBVal » Logged
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 02:02:57 AM »

Public beta released, updated first post with download link. Have fun Smiley
DavidBVal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 05:38:26 AM »

Exiled Kingdoms released for iOS! updated first post with link to App Store

Also, the Free portion of the game is now much larger, with at least 10-12 hours of content, so give it a try.

The game has been updating and growing each month, and will still grow bigger and more complex.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic