Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:18:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Blueprints Machine - bye bye
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Blueprints Machine - bye bye  (Read 3817 times)
nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »

Updates: always check the last post Wink

Starting today I'm publicly announcing what will (hopefully) become my next game: The Blueprints Machine (TBM).

TBM is a puzzle game, where each level can present you a totally different scenario/world/challenge, and to solve it, you have to manipulate certain aspects of that level to achieve the desired ending result. In order to do that, you'll get the help of blueprints, where various kinds of nodes allow you to do operations, calculations, and changes in the level.

TBM is also a learning experience. The game starts with a few basic nodes, but quickly will demand from you creativity and imagination to come up with easier ways to do things and re-utilize previous strategies.

I did a short video to show a bit the current working prototype where blueprints are designed. (make sure you view it in fullscreen) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhZ4HC__ica4hi0zcwLdRF1SgA8a-4pJc

As always, I'll be blogging about the game development here, on my blog (http://www.bitoutsidethebox.com) and over at twitter (https://twitter.com/nunodonato).

PS - added to Steam Concepts http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=497887927
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:05:22 PM by nuno » Logged

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »

One node type that was missing and that will (probably) be useful for the in-game stuff: vectors!

also useful to quickly add 3 numbers, as you can use the outputs individually Wink

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:19:50 PM »

This sounds fun. I've tried to do something like this before but I didn't get far. Good luck!

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »

This sounds fun. I've tried to do something like this before but I didn't get far. Good luck!

thanks, it will be fun! I already have fun with this sandbox mode alone hehe

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »

today will be quite busy with other work, so I just implemented a quick but nice feature: grid snapping

also reworked a bit the UI colors so nobody gets an overdose of blue
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:49:24 PM by nuno » Logged

facture
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:45 AM »

Looks quite interesting so far! Can't wait to see the kind of level designs this could produce
nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:22:30 AM »

A few more things done today, vblogged it here in a short 3min video:

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »

load and save done (no custom blueprints yet)

now we can get really hardcore :D

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »

I remember having an "inventor" game as a kid. It was similar with the connections and stuff except it was items rather than nodes on a blueprint, so more accessible to kids I can imagine. I remember playing around with it a lot, anyway, so I can see this working. It does look like a grown-up mathematician's version of that game, sort of.

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

I remember having an "inventor" game as a kid. It was similar with the connections and stuff except it was items rather than nodes on a blueprint, so more accessible to kids I can imagine. I remember playing around with it a lot, anyway, so I can see this working. It does look like a grown-up mathematician's version of that game, sort of.

The Incredible Machine? Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »

No idea. It had a Swedish title. I think it translated to something like "inventor's workshop".

EDIT:
That was indeed the title. I found it.

I don't know if it was exclusively Swedish tho the company that made it is definitely Swedish, but perhaps it was translated and maybe someone else will recognise the cover too?

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »

Big relief as I managed to add one of the most important features in the core mechanics, node groups :D

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 06:36:01 AM »

Added a video node! let the fun begin :D

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:12 AM »

Made a video with the recently added video node to The Blueprints Machine and having quite a lot of fun with it

I actually don't remember ever developing something that gave me the opportunity to play so much during development as this one does :D

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »

Here's how you double a number (left-shift bitwise operation) in The Blueprints Machine

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »

Alright folks, by popular request, here are the beziers :D

Plus, collapsing/expanding nodes, and new binary nodes to do cool stuff :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leockYVkydc&feature=youtu.be

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 07:49:34 AM »

New node added: noise :D

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »

Ironed out a ton of bugs in these past days!
Now i've built a simple demo blueprint to show how you can do a division with the nodes.
Link to the step-by-step video, below

Video with explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxSCm_KzVIA&feature=youtu.be

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 11:26:06 AM »

Drawing 2D noise to the video node :D

nuno
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 12:52:07 AM »

from the official blog - summary of dev news and thoughts on early access

Hi everyone!

This was quite a long and fruitful week of TBM development. As usual, I’m a bit lazy to update this blog, so if you want to keep in touch more regularly and see all the new stuff as it comes out, better to connect to the devlog on tigsource, indiedb or steamconcepts.

I created a playlist on my youtube account dedicated to TBM dev videos, and right now you can watch a bunch of theme, where I demo and explain all the new features that got added and a few other ideas about TBM. Watch them all to catch up on the news! They are all only 4-6min long.

I’ve been receiving great feedback from several people, and many have shown interest in playing with the game right now, just to use the sandbox mode, even if there are no levels to play yet. This is my official reply:

TBM will feature (at least) 25 unique levels, that will demand you to use different skills (creativity, logic, math) in order to progress through the game. Apart from this main “campaign” mode, you will have access to a Sandbox where you can just build and play with blueprints (some of which you can save and re-use in the game’s levels in order to aid your progress).

Although the sandbox mode is around 80% completion, the game itself is about 10%. I’d also like to point out that TBM will be a paid game (my estimate of price is around the 10$ tier).

Having said that, I do consider a possibility of opening up Early Access to TBM as that would give you the opportunity to play with the Sandbox mode, and to play the levels as they get done. It would also help me as well, as I would get the chance to receive valuable feedback from players and, who knows, more interesting ideas to take in the game.

As a reward, the Early Access adopters would have access to the game at a huge discount (maybe 70%).

But doing an Early Access also demands more work and time from me, to prepare it, to create a tiny closed community, a way to give regular builds to players, etc. For now, I need to understand if there is really a sufficient amount of players interested in such a thing. So, if you are, I would request you to show your interest in become an early access adopter (either in IndieDB, Steam or other).

thank you Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic