Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:50:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMy theory on Unity and commercial engines' popularity
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: My theory on Unity and commercial engines' popularity  (Read 5780 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2015, 04:27:29 AM »

barely-there gameplay like the 2013 hit Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
mod burn down this thread
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »

Why you are still defending mechanics as the god of game design is quite frankly baffling.
Mechanics aren't the "god" of game design, they are just a fundamental necessity that needs to be addressed.

From the emerging genre of 'walking simulators' (which typically convey emotion such as wonder, mystery, nostalgia, or terror) to barely-there gameplay like the 2013 hit Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (conveying a delightful story of fraternity and the associated spectrum of emotions), your insistence upon mechanics and systems becomes increasingly more puzzling.
I don't know if it's a giant blind spot or if it's willful disbelief.
It's all fine, not everything hast to be a game.

When it comes to real time games then yes, I absolutely value competent implementation and use of mechanics. For instance I quit playing Halo 3 after a while simply because the aiming mechanics were choppy and inconsistent. This is not a small concern; aiming, along with some other mechanics, drives the whole game and heavily affects how you approach combat. Playing a game on crutches and a game designed around crutches is not my understanding of fun.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »

From the emerging genre of 'walking simulators' (which typically convey emotion such as wonder, mystery, nostalgia, or terror) to barely-there gameplay like the 2013 hit Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (conveying a delightful story of fraternity and the associated spectrum of emotions), your insistence upon mechanics and systems becomes increasingly more puzzling.

I'm confused starsrift, are you actually trying to defend 'walking simulators' as being better games than games with actual game mechanics?

Also, just for the record, you shouldn't be talking shit about other people's games when you haven't even made one yourself.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »

this topic for some reason makes everyone stop making sense

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Dragonmaw
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »

J-Snake tends to do that to a topic, tbh.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »

Also, just for the record, you shouldn't be talking shit about other people's games when you haven't even made one yourself.

whoops people can't have opinions

guess every critic has to make a game first

this is the laziest way to try and disregard criticism

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »

Stfu everyone, you no have right to reply here when you haven't made a forum yourself
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »

whoops people can't have opinions

guess every critic has to make a game first

this is the laziest way to try and disregard criticism

Someone that's never written anything can make valid criticisms of a writers work, but when you criticize his writing process, having never written anything yourself, your opinion isn't very valid or noteworthy at that point.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »

I'm confused starsrift, are you actually trying to defend 'walking simulators' as being better games than games with actual game mechanics?

You must be very confused. Sad I never "talked shit" about J-Snakes game, only stated a fact. I brought it up because J-Snake has referred to his game as an example of good mechanical design in the past.
I also didn't say anything about walking simulators being categorically better games than other ones, I can't imagine how you got that out of there. I only state the fact, however, that they are successful. And if you are asking my opinion instead of trying to assume it - yes, in some cases, yes, they can be a better game than a more classical type. Every genre has bad games and good ones.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:04:09 PM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
vigaman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2015, 12:40:44 AM »

Dear Original Poster

I think your theory has some valid points, but what's wrong with seeing Unity or any other commercial game engines as a 'toy'? The engine developers also had in mind how the engine can serve multiple uses. If you see some people making machinima out of game engines then that's one way to utilize the engine. I think it's a bit overkill to use Unity as a web development platform to make websites, but that can be achievable with Unity as well. At the end of the day, it's all about what people can create with the tools offered in front of them.

My Word! THIS TOPIC MAKES NO GOTHAM SCENTS My Word!

Screamy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic