Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:17:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMy theory on Unity and commercial engines' popularity
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: My theory on Unity and commercial engines' popularity  (Read 5781 times)
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »

void rant() {

I believe the reason that commercial game engines like Unity have gotten so popular over the past couple of years is because

They are characterized by the male genitalia without musculature, operated by hydraulic pressure and by the double tarsal claws of posterior legs?

void rant() {

I believe the reason that commercial game engines like Unity have gotten so popular over the past couple of years is because

THEY'RE SWIRLED WITH CINNAMON AND SUGAR IN EVERY BITE?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »

https://bitsbox.com/

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »

I like 'shitty' games, and I like the 'shitty' games made in Unity(Or any other cookie cutter engine). A lot of the time I don't want to play a super polished AAA/Indie title. I'd much rather play something personal or wacky made by a random guy/gal who knows nothing about making games. Sure you might have to trawl though some real tripe before you find the 'shitty' gem, but the good shit couldn't exist without the bad shit.

Maybe that's just me  Shrug

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »

pls make this pass greenlight
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498129879
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 02:46:30 AM »

is that the game by that guy with the doll videos that some people with tigs connection made a thing on somethingawful

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 03:08:42 AM »

SOOOOOO MANYYYYYYYY STOLEEEEEEEEN IMAGEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 03:14:09 AM »

is that the game by that guy with the doll videos that some people with tigs connection made a thing on somethingawful

waht
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 03:26:29 AM »

Sure you might have to trawl though some real tripe before you find the 'shitty' gem
Just go to Greenlight and you are pretty much there.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 05:10:41 AM »

waht
it was a couple of years ago and I don't think it was ever linked here
I could try finding the thread I guess

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 07:14:41 AM »

i honestly liked the freeware game maker games prior to cave story, with everyone making what they wanted rather than the next indie platformer

like that series of games about graffittying everything andgod sandbox games and plenty of puzzle games like the one you have to make squares of any size and orientation, and that one that was like 2048 before that was a thing, and also one about two guys shoting each other across planets and the direction of your bullets was affected by the planets gravity and you would have to take acceleration and orbit into consideration and shit.

fuck you cave story

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 07:17:47 AM »

Sure you might have to trawl though some real tripe before you find the 'shitty' gem
Just go to Greenlight and you are pretty much there.
I already do. Greenlight and Kickstarter are great for finding great 'crap' games. I'm glad these places exist where people can feel free to express themselves. OUYA was great for it too. Such a shame.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 07:21:48 AM »

expressing yourself = stupidly trying to get rich off your first game maker project, apparently

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 07:26:43 AM »

And what's wrong with that? As long as these people don't bet the farm on their success they aren't hurting anyone.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:57 AM »

it's just the opposite of free expression is all

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 07:30:15 AM »

the opposite is censorship you ass

AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:58 AM »

And what's wrong with that? As long as these people don't bet the farm on their success they aren't hurting anyone.

They're hurting the value of indie games overall.

The way I see it, if someone wants to make money, there are much easier ways to do it than through game development.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »

is it just me or does it feel like any dev who is insecure about "bad" games ruining "indie" games' reputation can't make a game worth shit anyway.

i don't hear mike bithell going "oh no, my new game volume is an indie game and now that so much unity trash is on steam greenlight people might associate it with bad games because i use unity too boo hoo"

also video games are shit and have no value so who cares

and based on jim sterling's interview with shit unity dev slaughtering grounds dude, i think it's very apparent that the people who patch trash together and then put it on greenlight aren't trying to get rich. people who release these shit games, especially with the advent of steam refunds know better than most people how difficult it is to make money. they still care about games. they might be deluded as heck, but it feels like maybe that's just the best they can do. not everyone who wants to make games is cut out for it, but they are doing what they can with the abilities they have.

if anything it's a perception problem where we live in a world where people believe they need to release a game for sale rather than freeware to be taken seriously. compared to years past where people would hone their skills making shit flash games, now flash is dead and that was a small revenue stream that many people would start with that no longer exists for newcomers.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »

Can we at least agree that the lack of quality control on Steam is destroying the reputation of the platform?

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Nope. I much prefer it now to the impenetrable gates that it once had.

Sure, but in order to achieve good regulation the ever increasing discoverability problem has to be addressed. We need more sophistication in categorizing and searching for games. If I take a look at "more like this" on Steam, the recommendations are far away from being optimal.

As J-Snake stated perfectly, the problem is discoverability. Not locking out the "bad" games.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »

So, basically Steam needs better navigation options, a better search engine with better tags, and a better interface (for example, tabs). Sure, Valve could do that, but why didn't they do it yet?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic