Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:42:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralVideo Game Lies Database?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Lies Database?  (Read 22972 times)
Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:06 PM »

Hey, does anyone know of a site that keeps a database of video game lies?

I'm talking about that phenomenon that I'm sure we all encountered as kids, where someone claimed that they knew a cheat code to make Lara Croft naked, or that something happened in Sonic if you collected 1000 rings, or that there really was a Carcer City in GTAIII that you had to be awesome to get to.

I ask because if one doesn't exist, I think I'll set up one on Wikia or something like that.  This is a valuable part of video game history that must not be lost.

EDIT:  The database is up at http://videogamelies.wikia.com/ .  Edit at will.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:24:41 PM by Gregory » Logged
choiniere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:11:52 PM »

There probably isn't, after a 5 minute google all I could find were mostly forum topics about the said thing. You have a good idea.

Also this is what I found in some of my searches:

when i was like 10 a guy always told me this lie about MK3.
He told me that there is a special move that you could impregnate one of the female characters with it and that she would explode after a while and babies would come out of her belly.

What.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »

I had a friend in elementary school that came up with some of the most ridiculous lies about Street Fighter... he also made us PAY HIM FOR THE INFORMATION.  We were so obsessed with SFII at the time that we did it gladly.

I think his worst lie was about Street Fighter III, which he claimed "his cousin" was working on (in the early 90's?).  Some of the characters included an astronaut and a cowboy who could regain health by drinking tea.

He also made up a ton of fake moves and sold them to us for Oreos and quarters.  Stuff like:

- Blanka's Super Nuclear Meltdown, which killed you instantly.

- Chun-Li's Golden Kick, which took off all of your health except for one sliver.  It looked like a regular head stomp except her foot was a gold color.

- Guile's Gun, which he could pull out and shoot you with.  This may have been in EGM, too.

Durr...?

He told me that there is a special move that you could impregnate one of the female characters with it and that she would explode after a while and babies would come out of her belly.

What.

:D That's fucking awesome.
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »

Almost true?

Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:05 PM »

I think his worst lie was about Street Fighter III, which he claimed "his cousin" was working on (in the early 90's?).  Some of the characters included an astronaut and a cowboy who could regain health by drinking tea.

Oh, man, the relative who works for a game company is classic.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »

That whole Sonic in melee thing.

Also, I had one friend who told me that he went to a Melee tourney in NY where you had to beat event 51 and he did it, and that there was a hidden event 52 in which you fight every character including super secret characters like Megaman and Goku.

Lo
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »

The yacht in Jet Set Willy is probably the classic example. Supposedly, if you completed a certain sequence of moves in the right order, you could sail away on the yacht. So pervasive was this myth, that the developers of the CPC version of the game actually added it.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

The truck in pokemon?

ANYTHING in pokemon?
Seth
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

Goldeneye classic James Bonds

Fuck you EGM
The-Imp
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »

Anything Pokemon.

A friend said they were working on pokemon Black and Purple... My hopes were crushed when I discovered the internet.
Cry
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »

Those K.K. Slider "ACTUAL LYRICS" things that I can no longer find.  I never actually believed that shit, but it was hilarious to read.  I could have sworn that they were on GameFAQs...

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »

hey the b + up trick to always catch pokemon totally worked!

...but i'm still running up that endless flight of stairs in Mario 64 hoping one day Luigi will be there, waiting for me at the top  Sad
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »

What if there was a game that was built upon this kind of stuff, and only SOME OF IT was real? And the secrets were to get to the next level.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »

I was having a cigarette with someone at work a couple of months ago and he said that his friend wrote Quake and made all this money. I was like "Wow! You know John Carmack!?!?". It was of course not John Carmack, but someone else. I kept trying to tell him that John Carmack was the one that wrote Quake, but I just kept looking more and more like an asshole, because he seemed pretty convinced. I think his friend actually did work on Quake in some manner, but might have boasted about it quite a bit Smiley

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

hey the b + up trick to always catch pokemon totally worked!

I was told that pressing A repeatedly as fast as possible increases that chance of catching. This probably wore out the button of my original Gameboy Pocket a lot and also did totally work. Most of the times.
Fuzz
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »

What if there was a game that was built upon this kind of stuff, and only SOME OF IT was real? And the secrets were to get to the next level.
This must be made!
Greg
Level 0

has a compass, lost my map

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:41 PM »

I was having a cigarette with someone at work a couple of months ago and he said that his friend wrote Quake and made all this money. I was like "Wow! You know John Carmack!?!?". It was of course not John Carmack, but someone else. I kept trying to tell him that John Carmack was the one that wrote Quake, but I just kept looking more and more like an asshole, because he seemed pretty convinced. I think his friend actually did work on Quake in some manner, but might have boasted about it quite a bit Smiley

was it Michael Abrash?

A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
5parrowhawk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:16:21 AM »

The obvious one is the whole series of Final Fantasy "quests to resurrect people killed by the story" walkthroughs, I guess. There was one for Leo (VI) and one for Aeris (VII), among others.

Way back in the days of Dune II, there was a rumour that you could actually kill a sandworm. This is almost certainly BS, since the sandworm escapes (vanishes) at 50% health, and no weapon in the game can do enough damage to take off 50% of its health, but... does anyone know if there was a sandworm death animation in the game?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:26 AM »

Hey, who remembers being able to pick up the rocks on Chunner's stage in Street Fighter II to bludgeon your opponent? I coulda sworn I pulled that off once...

And that Kortal Kombat II "meathook" finisher where you could uppercut your opponent onto the chains on the acid pit stage I think it was, that was real sweet. And I hope you all remember the code that makes World Heroes a good game because I am still trying to figure that one out.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »

The cake is a lie.. which is actually a lie.. or is it?  Wink Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic