Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:45:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)What tool does everyone use or vector game art?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What tool does everyone use or vector game art?  (Read 1011 times)
BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:58:48 AM »

I'm getting back into doing game art. Recently I've mostly done pixel art for a game project I'm working on (can be seen here

) but I need to brush up on my vector skills as well. I used Flash for many years, and I've done some vector work in Photoshop, but I can't get used to Illustrator. So I was just wondering what tool does everyone use for vector game art? Flash is the easiest for me for vector but it's also a big basic, photoshop seems a bit awkward, but far easer still than illustrator.
kriyo_funions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:05:46 AM »

Here are some alternatives to flash:
cacani
toon boom
anime studio
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:09:41 AM »

Inkscape is amazing. They have this new function called vector to pixel and you can create Bitmap duplicates as well and resize them to achieve that "pixelized" look.

Well I've only ever used Inkscape because I can't afford Flash or any paid Photoshop.
Line density sure is a problem but it still allows you to create some amazing stuff.
Don't take my word for it though.

Check out this guy's sprite work:

As you can see, it's no problem for him. I don't know about you but that sprite looks amazing to a noob like me.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »

I personally use Illustrator for vector art and then Spine to animate it (or AE if it's supposed to be cinematic as oppsosed to sprite animation). It kind of boggles my mind that you think Illustrator is difficult to work with, but I guess it depends on what you're used to.

Inkscape is free so it's probably the best option in your case. The last time I tried out Inkscape (caveat: that was years ago so the program might be very different now), it had no options for gradients and the workflow was pretty different from Illustrator's so I personally didn't like it, but that's probably just me. Inkscape is the go-to for indie vector artists as far as I know.
digsource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:01 AM »

I personally use Illustrator for vector art and then Spine to animate it (or AE if it's supposed to be cinematic as oppsosed to sprite animation). It kind of boggles my mind that you think Illustrator is difficult to work with, but I guess it depends on what you're used to.

Inkscape is free so it's probably the best option in your case. The last time I tried out Inkscape (caveat: that was years ago so the program might be very different now), it had no options for gradients and the workflow was pretty different from Illustrator's so I personally didn't like it, but that's probably just me. Inkscape is the go-to for indie vector artists as far as I know.

Yup it's gotten better with gradients and the new pixel art options.
BusyRobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 05:26:41 AM »

The biggest issue I have with illustrator (maybe it's different now) is how you draw shapes/lines. In Flash I can draw a line, I can then just grab any part of it and pull it around, piece of cake. With illustrator when I had a go at it, you draw a shape, but to change it's shape you need to move those little toggles around which is just unintuitive to me. I know it's probably just a matter of getting used to it (and it's pretty much what I have to do in Photoshop when I do vector anyway) but the Flash way of doing things has always felt better to me.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »

Check out Affinity Designer if you're on a Mac: it has a lot of pixel-related support though it's a vector art program.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:06:03 AM »

In Flash I can draw a line, I can then just grab any part of it and pull it around, piece of cake. With illustrator when I had a go at it, you draw a shape, but to change it's shape you need to move those little toggles around which is just unintuitive to me.

Have you tried out the Pencil Tool (N)? Because when you draw a line with it, you can draw over it again if you're unhappy with it and Illustrator will reinterpret the path. That's the best way to roughly sketch out your shapes and lines, and then later on you can refine everything with the Pen Tool or via moving around the individual vector points. The Pencil Tool gives you a more painterly and freehand approach to everything, and coupled with the fact that you can basically switch between this approach and one that is more about precision is what I personally love about Illustrator.

Though, this approach might not be for everyone because it's still very different from drawing in either Flash or Photoshop so I fully understand if some people don't like it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic