Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:22:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio"The music of Battle Brothers" devlog post
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "The music of Battle Brothers" devlog post  (Read 1231 times)
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:44:54 AM »

Hello everybody,
I just wrote a new post about the latest pieces for the Battle Brothers soundtrack and some general thoughts and inspirations behind the music over at the game's devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38405.180

There are a lot of musical examples to listen to and as usual we are thankful for any feedback!
Patrick

hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:55:16 AM »

yeah man. great work. Geiler Sound. I really love the folk/orchestral blend, especially that you kept it simple, and it is epic without overblowing it, perfect fit for the game I think.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »

Awesome! Bou't ta head out, but definitely going to come back and read it! Really excited to see/hear your inspirations!

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:38:46 PM »

Cool article gentlemen! Lovin the fact that you chose (and excluded) specific instruments based on the story; it's a snazzy way to boost creativity and challenge yourselves at the same time.   Smiley

Well done!

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:11:53 AM »

I'm glad you folks enjoyed the article and the music!
@hawkei: The tracks blending folk and fingerstyle guitar with orchestral arrangements definitely are my favourites, too. These songs play to our strengths as we both come from a guitar background. Though I have to say that I found it pretty hard to make the sounds fit in a mix together. So nice to hear that you like the results.

@Kyle: I've been wanting to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your blog for some time now. I stumbled upon it after listening to your music for Prune and I'm looking forward to listening to your Kontakt instruments (go lamp!). Plus I did not know Trimpin before and had a blast listening to him describing his work. He has that mad professor style Smiley Kind of reminded me of the developer of Melodyne, Peter Neubäcker. (For anybody who has not seen it, this video portrait of Neubäcker is a very inspiring watch:

)

Regarding the self-imposed constraints: That has worked pretty well for us up to this point and I would suggest trying something similar to anybody who struggles finding inspiration or the right sound for a project. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a cultist/eldritch faction to the game (though it is not yet clear whether it will get implemented or not). For them we plan on exclusively using electric guitars and my big pedalboard, played with an ebow or actual bow, layered with vocals and choir libraries. It would be fun getting away from the orchestral stuff and trying to make this very different approach work in the context of the other pieces of the soundtrack.

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:50 AM »

I've got to highjack my own thread here as I just re-watched Peter Neubäcker's story. I am still baffled at how deep this man's knowledge about harmony and sound is. And the biography that lead to the accomplishment that is Melodyne, from spiritual search and the handcraft of violin making, to nature philosophy and astronomy, to mathematics and coding, is fascinating. I think the reason why I thought about him after watching the Trimpin interview was that they both share this haptic approach to math and harmony.

Díoltas
Level 0

https://soundcloud.com/dioltasmusic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:17:55 AM »

Excellent music. Hope you will be releasing this as an album along with the game  Smiley

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »

Man...

I really love how you guys really dig deep into the soul of the game to find the tune you are searching for. You're practically role-playing!

The music for battle brothers is fantastic. You have been able to create music that is interesting and emotive! I know I'm not the only one excited about the soundtrack release!

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 12:38:09 AM »

Thank you Díoltas! We will release the soundtrack on Steam and on Bandcamp at the end of the game's early access phase. People who buy the game can already chose a bundle that includes the OST on steam though.

@M4uesviecr That might be the nicest thing somebody could say about the music. <3 Before I started playing music, table top rpgs have been my favorite thing to do and are still something I hold very dear (although I do not find the time to play nowadays).

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:03 AM »

Neat post, splendid example of attuning music to a game's style. Well done!  Grin

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »

SoundsGood! Great work with the string sections.  My Word!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic