Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:29:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Resolution for drawn type art games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Resolution for drawn type art games?  (Read 745 times)
Garrent
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:55:47 AM »

I was thinking of trying a drawn art style instead of pixel art, like this game Neverending Nightmares: http://store.steampowered.com/app/253330/

I've only created pixel art games before which use a small resolution and is then blown up, but I'm guessing this would look awful for non-pixel games.

So what resolution should I be targeting? For example, should I be setting the game's resolution to 1280x720 and hope the user puts it into fullscreen mode?

Also what resolution for the art work? I suspect the best approach would be draw it at double the size you intend it be to be in-game, then draw it at 50% in-game? I'm a little worried this might impact performance though for low-end PCs.
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »

I'd think you'd want to aim for a standard resolution like 1920x1080. You could also go double that and then just size it all down. It is, of course, always easier to scale things down than up.

If you're drawing then resolution shouldn't change the amount of work you actually have to do by too much. Having high-res assets means you'd have more options for adjusting them later on down the road if stuff came up.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic