Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:09:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup  (Read 973 times)
ironbelly
Level 0

Ironbelly Studios

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »

Ok so few games are good enough that I have ever gone back to them after an uninstall. Fallout (all of them)... and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/

No music, no sound, laughable graphics... but man, the level of detail is unbeatable. The difficulty curve is excellent. I'm not sure any Roguelike will ever top it. None have so far anyway.

That's my opinion of course Smiley

Anyone playing it? A new version came out that sucked me back in after a couple years of hiatus. My mighty Minotaur of Ru is currently smashing some elves down in the Elven Halls... with an axe, a sling, and a shield. Worried about end game due to Ru obliterating my ability for spell casting... going to be just melee, ranged, and wands/scrolls/potions. And Ru... who apparently kicks some serious tail.

(Last game ended my Gargoyle of Qazlal in the Realm of Zot... due to a wrong button press)

~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
Ironbelly Studios -
AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
Unity & Unreal Services(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Cod
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:01:03 PM »

crawl is always one of the first games i install on every new computer or OS reinstall (except my current windows 7 installation oops). i actually started playing it way back when it was still linley's dungeon crawl. best traditional roguelike.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:06:06 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:45:15 AM »

DCSS is pretty great. I've been playing it off and on for 7 years and only recently beat it for the second time; first win: spriggan venom mage, second win (15 rune): minotaur berserker. I hang out a lot in the roguelike subreddit and DCSS is widely recommend and discussed there.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »

I haven't played it in years, but like Silbereisen, played it back when it was Linley's. By the standards of ##crawl, I am barely a beginner, but I've beaten it dozens of times with a variety of challenge characters. It's an awesome game with awesome devs.

Have they done much to improve the mid-game slog lately?

EDIT: Don't know why I said years; suppose I mean that I haven't played it seriously in years. I guess my last logon to the server was maybe 4 months ago...?
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »

I remember playing this when my dogs weren't dead.

Specifically, senior year of college, on my laptop in my parents van when we were going to Gatlinburg for Thanksgiving, and that was a time in my life when I wasn't sleeping much at all and that was a winter where I was having a hard time staying warm.

ironbelly
Level 0

Ironbelly Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »

Minotaur ate it in the Depths due to an unlucky teleport. *sigh* Back to the drawing board Smiley

~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
Ironbelly Studios -
AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
Unity & Unreal Services(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Cod
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »

Ironbelly, do you play online? What's your handle? I'll eat cheetoes and silently judge you for your mistakes Smiley
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »

Yup, one of my favorite games. I discovered it late 2012 and have been coming back to it 1-2 times a year since. I've got two wins, MiBe (3 runes) and MiFi (6 runes), both within a month of discovering the game. After that I've been trying other stuff with... less success.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic