Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:25:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionvectorLocust :: FIN ! [ ver. 80 post-compo update ]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: vectorLocust :: FIN ! [ ver. 80 post-compo update ]  (Read 60402 times)
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2009, 02:50:29 AM »

Okay, I've been playing this quite a lot over the past week; took me a while to get around to playing the latest version, and at first wasn't sure what I thought of it. I was dying very frequently, rushing towards the locust spawn points with all guns blazing trying to destroy them (And I quickly found out that you don't have enough energy to destroy them), and generally not concentrating on defence. The more I play it, however, the more I try out different tactics.

I went through a stage of holding off a single point on the map by building about 4 turrets, but even then I was getting overrun. At the moment, I make a rush for one of the far spawn points and attempt to take them out by hanging around a nearby shield generator and recharging whenever my shield runs out. By the time I've destroyed that and turned it into a shield point, the locusts have caught up with me, so I hold them off for a while, maybe build a turret, and then move on to the next spawn point. I generally get overrun when trying to take the second point, though. Perhaps I should try to take out the mothership first.

Anyway, my point is that while the game isn't very accessible at first, due to how often you die, I'm glad you did something different with the gameplay, because it's actually really deep and it keeps me coming back. You've got my vote! Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Edit: I just destroyed all of the locusts!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:15:30 AM by Synnah » Logged

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »

I've been playing the game a bit more, and have a couple of observations.
  • The game looks a lot better on a CRT. If you have one around, I'd definitely recommend trying it. You can play at lower resolutions with no scaling artifacts- all the lines are very visible and completely smooth.
  • The endgame seems to be easier and a lot less varied than the beginning, because once the drop ship is destroyed there are fewer enemy varieties, and production declines as you reclaim nodes. This isn't necessarily bad on an ecosystem level, but it seems a bit awkward if you just look at the moment to moment action within the game.

Everything looks better on a CRT; I can't understand playing games on an LCD when CRTs are cheaper and crisper. The only drawback is their massive weight and size, but we didn't seem to mind it so much when they were the only things available, so I think that's a case of getting used to something else.

Anyway: vectorLocust! I tried it today finally (shame I tried it so late, I'm a big fan of jph's games). It reminded me of one of your other games which I forget the name of, but it was in GM and was also 3D perspective.

I couldn't figure out how to place turrets in this game, though. So I feel I'm missing something. I pressed '5' but that doesn't seem to do it? But just moving around and shooting enemies is fun. Although I miss the score feature, or something to keep track of progress. Without score there isn't as much motivation to play it over and over (to beat your old score by surviving as long as possible).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic