Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:00:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingARANA (V7: Literally Everything)- An Experimental Top-Down Hack 'N Slash
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ARANA (V7: Literally Everything)- An Experimental Top-Down Hack 'N Slash  (Read 1533 times)
Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »

(V7) *Literally Everything*
NOTICE: This was originally on the gmc (game maker community: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=625552&hl=)

ARANA is a top-down, hack 'n slash attempting to recreate the addictive-ness that I experience with many games today.
Each character has their own Primary and Secondary attacks, as well as stats. You have two meters, an hp meter, and stamana
meter. The stamina meter acts as a limit for attacks.

There are little details and unlocks galore, so please enjoy!

How this came about:
  After playing allot of nuclear throne, I decided to try and replicate why I kept coming back to it,
that being fast paced constant action, whether or not this delivers, i'm not too sure, but I feel its close enough.
This should probably be a given but please report
any bugs you come across.

Full change log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn9wgupb0gvw69v/Change%20log.txt?dl=0

Screenshots:

Proof-of-Concept Soundtrack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy1w795ehkwbpe5/ARANA%20Soundtrack.zip?dl=0

Download links: GameJolt | IndieDB
[Devlog progress reports are being posted bi weekly on GameJolt.]

Controls:
Default movement: WASD (change in option menu)
Left click: attack
Right click: secondary attack
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:31:35 PM by Cpaz » Logged
codejoy
Level 0

Daddy Coder Gamer Photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »

Curious what feed back you are looking for?

So far a bit of it that the game looks good but its very very small window that pops up, I am getting up there in age and had to squint.

Some pluses:

Hacking feels pretty solid and satisfying, more theatrics are good here.
The graphics if larger would be good so far I feel for the main character.
I like the movement and how the wave comes

Some things to think about:
Increase the window size, it looks like some pixel art and it may get pixelated which to me is fine in this day in age especially if you can work in the rest of the art to fit this style.
The shooting seems weak and pointless, it is hard to line up a shot and when you do it doesnt do much the waves also come in such away it makes it very hard to use so why use it over the slashing?

There is somepickup I think I get but again theatrics would help here and good feed back visually or mechanically as to why I care about these feed backs.

Looks like you were inspired by the vlambeer game nuclear throne as you said, somewhere he has a good write up on making good action games here it is:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/207954/Vlambeer_cofounder_shares_advice_on_building_better_action_games.php

Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »

Curious what feed back you are looking for?

So far a bit of it that the game looks good but its very very small window that pops up, I am getting up there in age and had to squint.

Some pluses:

Hacking feels pretty solid and satisfying, more theatrics are good here.
The graphics if larger would be good so far I feel for the main character.
I like the movement and how the wave comes

Some things to think about:
Increase the window size, it looks like some pixel art and it may get pixelated which to me is fine in this day in age especially if you can work in the rest of the art to fit this style.
The shooting seems weak and pointless, it is hard to line up a shot and when you do it doesnt do much the waves also come in such away it makes it very hard to use so why use it over the slashing?

There is somepickup I think I get but again theatrics would help here and good feed back visually or mechanically as to why I care about these feed backs.

Looks like you were inspired by the vlambeer game nuclear throne as you said, somewhere he has a good write up on making good action games here it is:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/207954/Vlambeer_cofounder_shares_advice_on_building_better_action_games.php

Thank for the feedback!! The feedback I'm looking or is just any general comments, what makes the game fun to play, what about the game you may dislike, things like that.
Question: when you refer to shooting are you refering to Ketsu's secondary? (The bow and arrow) if so, yeah, that needs some balancing. But have you used any other character yet? I keep intending on uploading unlock requirements but keep forgetting...

As for the small window, I actually made typo that made the height 100 pixels shorter that it should. That gets fixed within the next update. I will also look into bigger windows scaling options. I'm trying to avoid manual rescaling because i've always found it more trouble than its worth.

And yes, I'm a fan of vlambeer's, Nuclear Throne in particular. I saw JW's talk on "The art of screen shake" and simultaneously inspired me and made me realize I have more. I guess. "Complex" methods in comparison. (Maybe he simplified things for the talk, I really dont know...) But i'll definately look into the link.

Thanks again for the feedback!!!
codejoy
Level 0

Daddy Coder Gamer Photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 11:59:30 AM »

Yes I am referring to his shoot ability.

I hope it keeps going, don't ever give up!

Was there going to be upgrades planed? I should also play nuclear throne...
Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »

Yes I am referring to his shoot ability.

I hope it keeps going, don't ever give up!

Was there going to be upgrades planed? I should also play nuclear throne...

*Her ability :3
And by upgrades do you mean updates? Or in-game upgrades? Sort of yes to both, there is going to be a system implemented in the next update that does, sort of that. It will be VERY work in progress, even by its release.
And yes, you should play Nuclear Throne. It fuuuuun.
Thanks again!
NameBlank
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »

I've played this game a good bit, but I haven't unlocked that third character... Is there a specific way, or do I just need to get good? Anyways, very fun game you've made, it's obviously lacking content but that's to be expected. I also feel like the HUD is hidden, and sometimes I forget to look at it, so there's something to improve on. I will keep up with this game as it grows, and good luck to you!
Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »

I've played this game a good bit, but I haven't unlocked that third character... Is there a specific way, or do I just need to get good? Anyways, very fun game you've made, it's obviously lacking content but that's to be expected. I also feel like the HUD is hidden, and sometimes I forget to look at it, so there's something to improve on. I will keep up with this game as it grows, and good luck to you!
Thanks! But the HUD being hidden is a first. Thinking about it, it's fairly small. So I can see what your saying. The little thing a developer misses Tongue
I mentioned this in a previous post, but I keep meaning to post unlock conditions. I intend to make a few hidden to add a little experimentation to the fighting. But to unlock Sal (the third character) you need to defeat an x amount or enemies with the killing attack being ranged (Ketsu's bow, Shadow's orb).

But thanks for the feedback! Always good to hear varying opinions, and I hope to hear more from you soon! (V6 will hopefully be released within the end of this month or around next month. I hope...)
Cpaz
Level 0

Always fumbling around

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »

Hello world!! ARANA is on GameJolt!! Check it out here: http://gamejolt.com/profile/cpaz/983454/games
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic