Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:20:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSomething like pico-8, but free?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Something like pico-8, but free?  (Read 3870 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »

I'm looking for free alternative to pico-8, because I'm not going to pay $20 for a game I'll never play (Voxatron caused me seizures when I was playing at friend's house) just to get Pico-8.

I'm looking for something similar - not as hardcore as making homebrew for actual vintage computers, but still having some limitations, and most importantly it should still be fun to develop for.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »

klik and play

also did you try e-mailing lexaloffle about your situation? he's a cool dude and might be sympathetic to your plight

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »

why not just sell pico-8 by itself :S

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »

klik and play

also did you try e-mailing lexaloffle about your situation? he's a cool dude and might be sympathetic to your plight

@MeshGearFox, @Tanner: Do you think I haven't tried mailing him? I've asked if/when it'll be available separately and the answer was when it'll be finished. Yep, whenever it'll be. I'm not a beggar either and I believe he deserves money for such awesome thing, just not as much (I'd pay up to $12 for Pico-8). So no, I haven't send e-mail stating "Oh, I was just wondering if I can get Pico-8 for cheap, because uh you know I got seizures when I first played Voxatron at friend's house and don't want to pay $20 for a game I won't ever play just to get Pico-8, now gimme gimme" and I have no intention of doing so. That would be downright insulting both to lexaloffe and me and just humiliating.

As for Klik&Play... let's just say I have that phase behind and would like something that uses actual coding.

Be a computer virus!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »

jeeze okay then. idk what else to tell you. KNP has some pretty interesting limitations, enough for glorious trainwrecks to thrive around it (and other things, yes).

pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »

What about Megazeux?
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »

actually today they started selling pico-8 on it's own http://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »

Yeah just use Megazeux, Megazeux is cool.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »

actually today they started selling pico-8 on it's own http://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php

Cool. Probably will buy it next month, I think it's worth these 15 bucks.

//edit: As for Megazeux, I've used it in the past (as I did ZZT). I've even did a tool for it called smzxdraw to help with making graphics for its advanced graphics mode. The problem with it tho is that it's very tied to one specific genre ( top-down dungeon crawler/rogue-like) and so it's hard to make something like say, platformer in it. I'm looking for something that isn't tied into specific genre.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:06:52 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »

You can make platformers in megazeux.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »

You can make platformers in anything, even in Excel (using macros) or AGS, the problem is that Megazeux is set up for top-down adventure/rpg/whatever games and therefore making it do platformers is considerably harder than in tool than doesn't favor any genre (like pico-8).

Be a computer virus!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »

I dare you to make a platformer in powerpoint.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »

So no, I haven't send e-mail stating "Oh, I was just wondering if I can get Pico-8 for cheap, because uh you know I got seizures when I first played Voxatron at friend's house and don't want to pay $20 for a game I won't ever play just to get Pico-8, now gimme gimme" and I have no intention of doing so. That would be downright insulting both to lexaloffe and me and just humiliating.

I think the suggestion was just regarding the seizures (to change the game so it doesn't cause them in the first place). If you get seizures then most likely a lot of other people do as well, and that's a severe problem. Reporting that would be a good idea.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

You know... at one point early in my dev career, I was wondering what a PowerPoint-esque IDE could be like. It seems very straightforward in one way, it would just need some code/scripting editor added in per "slide." And a mapping system that extended beyond the visible range.

And now PICO-8 has a standalone purchase? Gonna have to do something tomorrow about that. :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:12:04 PM by baconman » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »

You know... at one point early in my dev career, I was wondering what a PowerPoint-esque IDE could be like. It seems very straightforward in one way, it would just need some code/scripting editor added in per "slide." And a mapping system that extended beyond the visible range.

isnt that kinda how the various click programs work
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »

isnt that kinda how the various click programs work

Yeah, that's how Clickteam's products works.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic